Verizon Unlimited Data Plans For Grandfathered Customers To End Soon

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
A Verizon exec has announced that the company plans to do away with its unlimited data plans for grandfathered customers in favor of new tiered "data share" plans, effectively killing off the final unlimited plans at the nation's largest mobile carrier.

As first reported by FierceWireless, Verizon CFO Fran Shammo told a crowd at J.P. Morgan's Technology, Media and Telecom conference in Boston that eventually the company would force all of its current unlimited users over to data sharing, a new kind of "family" plan which launches on Verizon in the summer and allows members of a family to share a set amount of data across all of their devices. In other words, rather than paying for data by the device, a family could purchase, say, 100GB of data per month that everyone on the plan would be able to share. So if Mom uses 80GB of data, and Dad uses 2GB of data, and Little Jimmy uses 16GB of data, it doesn't matter -- you're just paying for that 100GB of data across all of your devices (smartphones, tablets, netbooks, smart refrigerators, whatever).

Though Verizon ended unlimited data for new customers in July 2011, America's largest wireless carrier allowed its old customers to keep their unlimited plans so long as they stuck with the company. That's ending: "Everyone will be on data share," FierceWireless has quoted Shammo as saying.

You can listen to Shammo's comments here; the part about unlimited plans ending begins around the 10 minute mark.

A Verizon spokesperson declined to expand when asked to confirm Shammo's statement regarding the axing of unlimited plans. "We don’t have anything to add to our CFO’s comments," the rep said in an email to HuffPost.

As PhoneArena points out, this is good news for small businesses and families (depending on how expensive the new data share plans are). It's also potentially good news for smartphone owners who also have 4G tablets, who would no longer have to buy a separate data plan for their tabs. All of this depends on the pricing of these data share plans, however, which Verizon has yet to outline.

Though Verizon would not comment on exactly when those grandfathered unlimited data plans will disappear, the move has seemed inevitable for some time now. Verizon has been cutting down on heavy users of unlimited data, throttling the speeds of the top five percent of unlimited data users. A Verizon spokesperson declined to comment on when those unlimited plans will disappear.

Shammo did give a hint in his speech, indicating that when grandfathered customers upgrade from 3G phones (like the iPhone) to 4G LTE phones (like any Android phone, or perhaps the next-generation iPhone), they could be forced to abandon their unlimited plans for a data share plan.

That would mean that only Sprint and AT&T offered unlimited data plans: Sprint to new customers, and AT&T to those subscribers grandfathered in. AT&T, like Verizon, killed off unlimited data for new customers in 2011.

The big question that remains is when the end of unlimited data at Verizon for grandfathered customers will take effect. We'll update you when we get official word from the carrier.

Verizon Unlimited Data Plans For Grandfathered Customers To End Soon

Note: I found one error in article - att removed the unlimited data to new customers in 2010, not 2011.

Wow, I was Verizon customer from 2008 to 2010. Verizon got poor score on HRC since att got 100, also Sprint is good.

original.jpg

:lol:

I still have grandfathered plan for my AT&T iphone. I won't be AT&T following Verizon suit. Sprint and T-Mobile have unlimited plan now but Sprint won’t make profit out of the iPhone until 2015.

I'm happy with my Samsung Epic 4G (although I have it set to 3G to save on the battery :D) w/ Sprint. I had to get certified as to hearing loss with Sprint Relay to get the unlimited data only plan. $40/month (evidently for slower phones, it was $30/month but with a 4G capable phone, the fee is higher). Just past first year with them in April. Phone doing well, no connectivity issues, even at 3G. Starting over with them as a new customer meant a 2 year contract, so we're only a bit past halfway through that, because of what jerks Tmobile was when they killed the Sidekick originally). Hopefully because Sprint also is Sprint Relay for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, they will stay friendly to those of us who need data only plans... So far, so good. :hmm:

I'm considering to buy Galaxy Nexus but still keep iPhone 4S as swap the sim card between 2 phones.

I need Galaxy Nexus because of tethering without pay extra fees and jailbreak the iPhone is out of option due to stable issue. My iPhone got frequently crash, especially Safari and some applications, network issue, messages don't act like working, etc after jailbreak.

I'm considering to buy Galaxy Nexus but still keep iPhone 4S as swap the sim card between 2 phones.

I need Galaxy Nexus because of tethering without pay extra fees and jailbreak the iPhone is out of option due to stable issue. My iPhone got frequently crash, especially Safari and some applications, network issue, messages don't act like working, etc after jailbreak.

Good for Galaxy Nexus but I dislike Android because this apps are awful. I know that jailbreak still be problem. You said tethering is not extra fee?? Option for data and hotspot (wifi)?

Good for Galaxy Nexus but I dislike Android because this apps are awful. I know that jailbreak still be problem. You said tethering is not extra fee?? Option for data and hotspot (wifi)?

You have to pay extra fee to use official tethering software (WiFi hotspot) on iPhone.

att doesn't care if you use third party tethering and have tiered data, however for unlimited data so they will try to tackle it down.

I suppose the thread I am about to start is similar to this one, so I will just join in this one.

another article

It looks like Verizon is catching on to videophone technology, so that means if anyone uses VP on their phone, tablet, or whatever, they will use up their data very quickly. $50 is just the starting price for 1GB.

I looked up the 'net for typical data usage for video calls, and I would guess 900000kbph is a good estimate. Though, that means 0.8GB (or 1.7GB for two hours). So, deaf people who use their devices for video calls can easily spend $100 a month. Since cellular companies have a habit of charging extra to leave out voice plans, deaf people could be paying more than $100 a month.

I don't think deaf people have any more power in justifying a lower price anywmore. The cellular people will simply say we are using more data now that we can use internet and videophone with some types of devices.

Plus, who knows if the cellular companies will ever have different plans for just text/messaging without voice. How many deaf people on SSI would be able to afford a smartphone and its data plan? Or even with a min wage job?

I also wonder just how expensive is it for the cellular companies to run their resources? Can't really be that much...

I got new Samsung Galaxy S3 from Verizon and unlimited data plan $54. I have no complain..

Gosh. I might have to start looking elsewhere. I am grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data, but I'm almost ready to upgrade to a new phone. Dang it. I might go to Sprint and be part of a family plan instead since all the rest of my family is on Sprint.

Back