Vegetarian or Meat eater

Darling I don't want to and feel no need to. Meat suits me just fine thanks.

Oh I am by no means saying you had to or would feel the need to. Your post came across that you couldn't be vegetarian because of your physical workout routine.That's a myth we hear a lot. There are many body builders who are vegan/vegetarian. The reason people aren't vegetarian is a personal choice, but isn't due to workouts or protein needs. Someone's choice to be vegetarian, is just a personal decision. Those who get sick are not eating properly as a vegetarian. It's not easy to eat properly on any kind of strict diet. It can be done, and that's all I was making note of.

FYI Ambrosia knows what she is talking about. You say you don't care one way or another but you sure couldn't tell by your posts. People do what they feel is best for themselves, doesn't make it right or wrong.
I believe people have to reach awareness at their own pace. I think it is a personal decision. My post was to correct the assumption that vegetarians can't get enough protein and that body builders and those who work out would be sick on a vegetarian diet. If that's not what the poster meant, I do apologize. I meant no harm but to correct that myth.

hi again Larimar,

I was vegan in college. Not a good time to try, especially in a small and conservative hunting town. I grew up in an urban, multicultural environment but went to the university I did because I thought I would study a certain area and turned out it was a bad match. At the time, the university cafeterias did not offer meatless pasta sauce even. I ate a lot of rice and beans and organic peanut butter and had a rice cooker in the dorm.

Currently eat a whole-foods and plant-based diet, though including things like wild-caught fish and local/organic eggs.

FYI Ambrosia knows what she is talking about. You say you don't care one way or another but you sure couldn't tell by your posts. People do what they feel is best for themselves, doesn't make it right or wrong.

:ty:

Oh I am by no means saying you had to or would feel the need to. Your post came across that you couldn't be vegetarian because of your physical workout routine.That's a myth we hear a lot. There are many body builders who are vegan/vegetarian. The reason people aren't vegetarian is a personal choice, but isn't due to workouts or protein needs. Someone's choice to be vegetarian, is just a personal decision. Those who get sick are not eating properly as a vegetarian. It's not easy to eat properly on any kind of strict diet. It can be done, and that's all I was making note of.

I believe people have to reach awareness at their own pace. I think it is a personal decision. My post was to correct the assumption that vegetarians can't get enough protein and that body builders and those who work out would be sick on a vegetarian diet. If that's not what the poster meant, I do apologize. I meant no harm but to correct that myth.

Of course you can lift weights and be vegetarian, but if I did that I probably wouldn't get the results I want. Eating for weight lifting is very scientific. To get the best results your calories should be 40% from carbs 40% from protein and 20% from fat. That is actually really hard nail, even with meat in your diet. I always always end up getting more carbs than protein. Could that be done with a vegetarian diet? Maybe, but it doesn't really matter to me because I feel no desire to go vegan, and it would make something that us already difficult even harder. I really truly do feel off and ravenous on days I haven't much meat. I never said I get sick, I don't feel right, and get hungry as all get out.....so I hungry I could eat a vegetarian :D that was so funny Nitrohonda.

I'd probably make better progress, putting on muscle is hard!, if I got more sleep :) but that's another personal choice, I hate going to bed at night lol

:ty:

Of course you can lift weights and be vegetarian, but if I did that I probably wouldn't get the results I want. Eating for weight lifting is very scientific. To get the best results your calories should be 40% from carbs 40% from protein and 20% from fat. That is actually really hard nail, even with meat in your diet. I always always end up getting more carbs than protein. Could that be done with a vegetarian diet? Maybe, but it doesn't really matter to me because I feel no desire to go vegan, and it would make something that us already difficult even harder. I really truly do feel off and ravenous on days I haven't much meat. I never said I get sick, I don't feel right, and get hungry as all get out.....so I hungry I could eat a vegetarian :D that was so funny Nitrohonda.

I'd probably make better progress, putting on muscle is hard!, if I got more sleep :) but that's another personal choice, I hate going to bed at night lol

Hi Ambrosia,

You're right it probably is difficult to maintain. It's not for everyone. I wouldn't tell someone they should go or have to be vegetarian, even if I do hope for a cruelty free world. What I am more interested in is educating people and dispelling myths. I don't think people should propagate the myth that you have to eat meat to get the results you want. "probably wouldn't get the results I want".
I admire your motivation and lifestyle(the exercise ). I think what you do is extremely hard. I tried to gain muscle and go train with my boyfriend while I could afford the gym membership..So tough! But I loved the results! Wish I could still afford that.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R0w5xVVW8g"]Top 10 Vegan Bodybuilders - YouTube[/ame] For anyone interested here are some examples of people who accomplished a vegan diet while body building. I am not a vegan, but I think if they can do veganism and Raw diets, vegetarian diet must be a lot easier since they can still eat eggs and cheese/milk.

For now I am maybe more of a dark chocolatarian? :p

ps I am a night owl too! I read a study that said night owls gain more intelligence and do better on tests than those who sleep earlier, while those who wake up early are happier..So it's just a matter of if you want to be smart or happy? LOL

hi again Larimar,

I was vegan in college. Not a good time to try, especially in a small and conservative hunting town. I grew up in an urban, multicultural environment but went to the university I did because I thought I would study a certain area and turned out it was a bad match. At the time, the university cafeterias did not offer meatless pasta sauce even. I ate a lot of rice and beans and organic peanut butter and had a rice cooker in the dorm.

Currently eat a whole-foods and plant-based diet, though including things like wild-caught fish and local/organic eggs.
Hi Dogmom,

It's hard to be vegetarian in a society that doesn't support it. I had to learn quickly how to cook my own food from scratch. I made really good Indian dishes, blend my own sauce-tomatoes and other veges. My boyfriend and I love to experiment with different foods and make meals from scratch. The city I grew up in was not very multi cultural and extremely meat oriented-being mainly an Ontario city consisting of Italian families.
I recently moved to a bigger city surrounded by cultures and foods that give me so many more options, but I spent 8 years having to be extremely careful lol. So I sympathize. lol

Hi Larimar, I love Indian food, Thai etc. I don't eat diary either, though I do like cheese, but I have dairy allergies so it's actually pretty easy for me to avoid.

Fresh homemade pasta sauce is soooo good. My mom sometimes makes it, though hers does have meat.

It can be fun to experiment with meals together:)

I was vegetarian for years, then vegan, then stepped back off to vegetarian, then I got very ill. My doctor said I was lacking an unhealthy amount of vitamins and protein, I needed to introduce some meat back in, even just a little. I went back to eating meat, and honestly I missed it. ( Omg I have no words for a Medium steak with some A1! ) Now, I am on a low carb diet for the past week. ( Have lost 11 pounds mind you! :D ) So I eat pretty much whatever I can get my hands on except rice, pasta, potatoes and bread. :D Random fact, did you know Oreo's are vegan friendly? I learned that and was pretty shocked and disturbed at the same time... lol! They're not carb friendly though... *complains walking away* :P

I have not eaten Oreos in years and years. I like bread too but not the white fluff...love whole grain bread but sometimes it's not so much healthier than the white. I try to avoid refined flour. I've never been a big meat fan.

my sister introduced me to veganism (after coming back from college, lol) by having my family watch the documentary "forks over knives". focuses on plant-based eating and nutrition - really interesting. some myth-busting about protein, etc. and there's a lot of other sources for this, which are easy to find, but did you know that dairy cheese acts like an opiate in the human system? that's why so many people call it addictive - because it is!

i wonder how much cheese sale went up when saw that....i was staggered when told beer had animal in it..
my husband carnivore he just had some meat smell making me ill

fyi - not all beer uses animal products! check out barnivore.com if you want to find vegan alcohol.

i feel you on the meat smell. after so long not eating that stuff it all smells weird now. weather is nice here today - if it's nice where you are, go outside?

i can't see why animal needs be in beer it made of hops

Luckily I don't drink beer..... Now I'm very glad I don't with the thought of animal product in it... Suppose it's not different than jello not being vegan..... I love cheese don't ruin cheese for me! :tears:

I try to be plant strong. I don't claim to be vegan or vegetarian, but do try to do my best to eat as little animal products as possible.

my sister introduced me to veganism (after coming back from college, lol) by having my family watch the documentary "forks over knives". focuses on plant-based eating and nutrition - really interesting. some myth-busting about protein, etc. and there's a lot of other sources for this, which are easy to find, but did you know that dairy cheese acts like an opiate in the human system? that's why so many people call it addictive - because it is!
It is very addicting, because it's supposed to be for babies who need it to survive. We are the only animal to continue drinking milk until adulthood. Scientists have now discovered that they were wrong about getting so much calcium. Too much calcium leaks calcium, causing osteoporosis and bone problems.

And in Ontario there's more beers that are vegetarian than not, wine has not as many. I don't drink though at all.

Dogsmom, I have dairy allergies too, it does help keep me away. They say that the allergies are in a lot of people because we shouldn't be consuming it so much. Our body is rejecting it.

:wave:Larimar, that's interesting, about the allergies/rejection. Does make sense.

Luckily I don't drink beer..... Now I'm very glad I don't with the thought of animal product in it... Suppose it's not different than jello not being vegan..... I love cheese don't ruin cheese for me! :tears:

may be,,i drink larger not sure how near to beer that is....
that meat pic kok is horrible,just remember all them animals are vegitarian

may be,,i drink larger not sure how near to beer that is....
that meat pic kok is horrible,just remember all them animals are vegitarian

I say they looked quite delicious. Mouth-watering. So, according to you, we should only eat animals that are carnivores? Animals that eat other animals? Not sure what your logic is by bringing up animals that are herbivores. The pictures in link are pictures of BBQ ribs...pork. Pigs are omnivores...not herbivores. Both wild boars and pigs are omnivores, btw.

Back