Vegetarian "meat"

I was told that the eggs are not good for us because of high cholesterol if we eat the eggs everyday. Is that true?

The jury has been in and out on that one for many many years. My boyfriend insists that he heard somewhere that eggs everyday are worse for women than men. :dunno2: Dunno about this one.

All the vegetarians I have known have always been against eating eggs. Other dairy, I understand, is veganism. But eggs are still considered a meat.

Well in that case you haven't known many.

Vegan: someone who does not eat or wear anything that came from an animal.

Ovo vegaitarian: Someone who does not eat meat or dairy products but DOES eat eggs.

Lacto vegitarian: Someone who does not eat meat or eggs (as in the vegitarians you know about) but does eat dairy.

Lacto Ovo vegitarian: Eats both Eggs and Dairy.

Pascotarian: someone who eats fish but other then that no other meat. Sometimes known to refere to themselves as vegitarians but they are not. They are Pascotarian like I used to be before I went vegan.

RED meats cause heart problems.

Good I'm glad we agree on that at least.

Chicken, pork, and especially fish are wonderful for you.

Pork is actually red meat and is the most unhealthy type of red meat because it's the most intensively farmed meaning that pork contains a lot of antibiotics and other nasty things.

Factory farmed chicken often contains things such as E col and salmanella. Unless specifically stated otherwise most chicken is factory farmed.

Fish has no fat

Yes it does. It also contains mercury because our sea is so polluted. I've been sick more often after eating fish then any other source. I should know as I was advised to eat more fish because of the iron content. I ended up having to stay 4 days in hospital and was sick for several months after that until I got wise and became vegan.

Four of my close family members have diabetes and I have NEVER heard meat being a cause for it.

That's because they are ill informed. I know vegans diabetics who have found their diet has actually helped.

And cancer? Unless you're smoking the meat, I don't see how that is possible.

So how come I was advised by Cancerbackupuk (a non vegan source) to avoid red meat?

BBC NEWS | Health | Red meat cancer risk clue found
Diet rich in red meat doubles breast cancer risk | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited
CANCERactive : Red meat may increase risk of breast cancer

Please note that NONE of these sources are vegan or even sypathetic to our cause so you can hardly claim them to be biased.

I was told that the eggs are not good for us because of high cholesterol if we eat the eggs everyday. Is that true?

Yes. Eggs contain a lot of colesterol. Although I think it's mainly in the yoke (or the white?). My dad only eats certain parts of the egg for that reason. He's pescotarian for health reasons as he has a heart condition.

I had ate alot of sugar foods, well as junk food for several years, also I do drink Sprite so often then I don't get diabete yet since my weight is stable due alot of active at workplace.

Me too. For the first 23 years of my life I was a fried meat and no veg sort of person. I then became pescotarian but my diet was hardly better. Healthy eating was a novel concept for me until a few years back. (Except when used as an excuse to try and starve myself through anorexia nervosa).

I do not have diabeties though.

This is one of my pet peeves.

I'm not a vegetarian but sometimes I enjoy eating vegetarian meals. When I'm in the mood for a quick one-serving vegetarian meal, I search that area of the grocery store. Well, the vegetarian packages all include "meats"--that is, fake chicken, fake beef, fake burgers, fake seafood, etc.

If I want meat, I'll eat real meat. When I want vegetarian, I don't want fake meat mixed in it.

Here's my question to real vegetarians: Do you enjoy eating fake meat?

I can understand a person who eats vegetarian for health reasons maybe wanting the taste of "meat" with the meal.

But it just seems ironic to me that a person who is philosophically vegetarian could enjoy eating fake meat.

It's kind of like a person who is strongly against killing animals for fur wearing fake fur. What's the point?

You know, what is one of my pet peeves is about people that claim to be "prolife" and be against abortion. These same people, though not all, are in FAVOR of the death penalty. At the same time, all these people who are prolife eat animals and wear animal skins as clothing.

To heck with overturning Roe v. Wade: Go totally prolife and not eat any kind of animal product, then come back and tell me they are 100 percent prolife. Then, and only then, will I listen to their argument regarding this.

Enough said.

You know, what is one of my pet peeves is about people that claim to be "prolife" and be against abortion. These same people, though not all, are in FAVOR of the death penalty. At the same time, all these people who are prolife eat animals and wear animal skins as clothing.

To heck with overturning Roe v. Wade: Go totally prolife and not eat any kind of animal product, then come back and tell me they are 100 percent prolife. Then, and only then, will I listen to their argument regarding this.

Enough said.
I don't compare people to animals. If I did, I would have to protest people putting collars and leashes on animals, buying and selling animals, neutering animals without their informed consent, separating baby animals from their mothers, and confining them against their will.

I don't compare innocent, dependent human babies in the mother's womb with guilty adult mass murderers and rapists sitting on death row.

If you can't deal with that, so be it.

Next time you're at the store, check out even the frozen fish. Look at the labels! I'm not talking about VanDeKamps or whatever breaded fish by-product, I mean fresh fish that was frozen and packaged. Hell, look at tuna. Halibut, salmon, orange rougy, swordfish, cod, haddock, flounder, mahi mahi, trout have very little to no fat and very high protein. The only fish I can think of that may be fatty is catfish. I don't even know if that is true.

Yes, I know we are talking about frozen or fresh fish, not coat with bread crumbs. I am saying that I never heard that fish do have no fat because I know that they do have very low fat.

Fat Content of Common Fish

Meats and Cholesterol Levels

Red meats have been slowly become less popular since the 1960s for this very reason. High bad cholesterol? Lower your intake of red meat. Yes, junk foods play a part, but it is usually from the consumption of too much red meat.

Accord your link, it didn't say which bad or good cholesterol. This link explains better.
CNN Food Central - Lean red meat may have place in low-fat diet, study says - June 27, 1999

Pick lean meats (unprocessed meat) is the best but only if you eat moderately.

Yes, you can, especially if you have a predisposition to diabetes. If I were to go on a sugar and carb bender for a few months, maybe years, I would end up with diabetes. It just happened to my aunt, who is 41. My sister was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes at the age of 11, my grandfather was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 30 years ago, and my other aunt was also diagnosed with juvenile diabetes when she was 16. This is all on one side of my family! It is in my chemical make-up.

Diabetes Causes

But one thing I want to ask: If ingesting too much sugar, fat, and enriched flour does not cause diabetes, why has the ratio of children with diabetes increased in the USA from 1 out of 100 to 1 out of 9 since the 1950s? Look at what is available for food now and what was available for food then. Look at how easily everything is accessible now compared to then. Look at the way of life then compared to now. We are now a quick fix, drive thru, and prefer to drive down to the corner than walk to it society.

I tried to re-read the link, you provided but I can't find anything where it says that it will get diabetes from eating too much sugar. Can you show me where it written that it cause diabetes if you eat too much sugar? Maybe I overlook it?

My good friend take care of healthy foods and drink but she got diabetes... It runs in her family.

Obesity could cause diabetes, too.

Yes, it's true. I also told the same thing as you, too. The studies found out that it's myth which is good new to me... because I am egg lover and continue to eat eggs a lot... My cholesterol level is good.

The Cholesterol Myth

If you cook the fish with fried, such as from fryer with vegetable oil, peanut oil or other oil would cause to increase more gram in fats, it called fried catfish or something like that.

Yes, it's correct.

Only if you pick oil with good fat.

John Harvard's Brew House restaurant only use beer on french fries instead of oil. I think that it is a great idea. I tried the french fries, and it was good. It is far better than eating at a cheap McDonald's and cheap Burger King. The McDonald and Burger King are still bad for health.

John Harvard's Brew House | Honest Food. Real Beer.

Off the record - My two friends went to these cheap restaurants, and they had a habit going there a lot. (They go there in a different place and different time. Not together.) Somehow, they had a stroke, and stayed in the hospital for a month. They went back normal as healthy - they NEVER go back to the cheap restaurants for rest of their life. They said that to me.

Olive oil is good for you, peanut oil is good for you, I believe canola and Vegetable oil are bad for you (not 100% sure though)

Fish, if i recall correctly (trying to remember what a nutritionist told me 3 years ago) is good for you, and gives omega 3. If you can't eat fish, or don't like it, I believe there are fish oil pills or a liquid that you can take.

Personally, I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, chicken, and starch. I'm not a big fan of beef, or fish, so I try to find supplimental foods that can replace beef or fish. I try to avoid suppliment pills.

But it's a personal choice that everyone makes for themselves.

nobody is perfect, everyone makes their own decisions as to what they want to eat.

John Harvard's Brew House restaurant only use beer on french fries instead of oil. I think that it is a great idea. I tried the french fries, and it was good. It is far better than eating at a cheap McDonald's and cheap Burger King. The McDonald and Burger King are still bad for health.

John Harvard's Brew House | Honest Food. Real Beer.

Off the record - My two friends went to these cheap restaurants, and they had a habit going there a lot. (They go there in a different place and different time. Not together.) Somehow, they had a stroke, and stayed in the hospital for a month. They went back normal as healthy - they NEVER go back to the cheap restaurants for rest of their life. They said that to me.

with alcohol? I think that's illegal for under 21.

I don't compare people to animals. If I did, I would have to protest people putting collars and leashes on animals,

Why would that be. Do you protest against baby harnesses?

buying and selling animals,

I'm against this. All my animal friends are rescues except Jilli and the chinchilla's who I got before I became vegan. Chinchilla's can live for up to 20 years.

neutering animals without their informed consent

I'm ok about Neutering animals because of the rescue centres being over crowded. Have you ever tried teaching a cat or a dog how to use a condom. I think humans that have problems understanding this concept and having too many babies should be treated in the same way.

separating baby animals from their mothers

This is sad. Although the overpopulation of animals in rescue centers make it sadly neccessary as there are not always homes to take in a cat AND her kittens. So mother cat goes to one home and her kittens are rehomed elsewhere.

I'm against intentional breeding. Be it for the pet trade, the meat and dairy industry or for research.

and confining them against their will.

Again something I'm against too. It does become a bit of a moral dilema with some animals. My chinchilla's for example. Admitadly I have to confine them for their own safety. I do let them out of their cage sometimes. They are out right now. Believe me. If I thought they would survive in in the wild in Britain I'd happily release them but they wouldn't. I see them as little furry refugee's who are displaced because someone was too fond of their fur.

I don't compare innocent, dependent human babies in the mother's womb with guilty adult mass murderers and rapists sitting on death row.

Admittedly I don't have too much sypathy for those that have genuinely done it. However it is possible to be in the wrong place at the wrong time which is why I'm against death penilty. I believe their are innocent people rotting away on death row. I read a book about one of them. Fortunately the book ended with further evidence coming up which supported her innocence but it could very well have come too late to save her from being killed.

Yes, it's true. I also told the same thing as you, too. The studies found out that it's myth which is good new to me... because I am egg lover and continue to eat eggs a lot... My cholesterol level is good.

The Cholesterol Myth

Sorry but that link is a myth in itself. Colesterol is very bad for you. Particularly if you have a heart condition so should definately be avoided.

When my dad started having heart conditions he was given a lot of drugs to take. My uncle Dennis advised him not to take them and to lower his colesterol instead. My uncle dennis is very healthy. He is older then dad and also has a heart condition yet he did this big cycle marathon round queensland.

okay I used to eat burgers but I avoided eating burgers since uh last summer.. cuz it bothers my stomach so blah I stopped eating burgers but if I have taste for burger ONCE in a while is okay but every day? sheesh.. think of it I can gain weight if i wanted to eat burger every day :P but okay last weekend i had a real good chicken sandwich with BACON and etc.. is that bad for me? :P but I don't know why people wants to try veggie burger and I never really tried it cuz I know I will never like it anyways. I'm too fussy with what I eat those days :laugh2:

Sorry but that link is a myth in itself. Colesterol is very bad for you. Particularly if you have a heart condition so should definately be avoided.

When my dad started having heart conditions he was given a lot of drugs to take. My uncle Dennis advised him not to take them and to lower his colesterol instead. My uncle dennis is very healthy. He is older then dad and also has a heart condition yet he did this big cycle marathon round queensland.

Well, a lot of people aviod to eat egg because they are afraid that egg yolks will raise their cholesterol level. Eating one to two eggs per day will not raise cholesterol level... Eggs are a great source of nutrients.

It's not just egg but scrimps as well... It will be okay if we eat moderately.

Well, a lot of people aviod to eat egg because they are afraid that egg yolks will raise their cholesterol level. Eating one to two eggs per day will not raise cholesterol level... Eggs are a great source of nutrients.

It's not just egg but scrimps as well... It will be okay if we eat moderately.

I wouldn't really consider having 2 eggs every day as Moderate. To me that would be a little accessive. I know that when I was pescotarian I did not have eggs every day. On average I had 6 free range eggs that lasted me about a week.

Although I don't think that was as unhealthy as the dairy or fish I used to consume.

My dad, who has a heart condition, seperates the bit which contains most of the colesterol when he has eggs.

We maybe eat Eggbeater a couple times per month. Eggs, rarely. Usually only if Hubby makes his recipe for deviled eggs for special occasions a few times a year.

I have nothing against eggs. We just don't get around to eating them very often.

Reba, it sounds like you're a flexitarian. I'm one myself and anywhere from 1/3 to 2/3 of my meals are vegetarian. In the summer, I tend to eat mostly vegetarian meals. Personally, I prefer not to eat meat flavored veggie proteins because I just don't think they taste as good as the real thing.

You'll have to expermint with different varieties to see what you like best.

Back