Vegans starve their baby to death on a diet of soy milk and apple juice

lumbingmi

Reaction score
ATLANTA (AP) A Superior Court jury in Atlanta convicted a vegan couple of murder and cruelty to children Wednesday in the death of their six-week old, who was fed a diet largely consisting of soy milk and apple juice.
27-year-old Jade Sanders and 31-year-old and Lamont Thomas will receive automatic life sentences for starving the boy, who weighed just 3.5 pounds when he died.

Defense lawyers said the first-time parents did the best they could while adhering to the lifestyle of vegans, who typically use no animal products. They said Sanders and Thomas did not realize the baby, who was born at home, was in danger until minutes before he died.

But prosecutor Mike Carlson told the jury yesterday during closing arguments that they are ``baby killers.''

The jury deliberated about seven hours before returning the guilty verdicts.

wsbradio.com: News Parents Convicted in Baby's Death

Very sad. :(

I wonder why the mom didn't nurse the baby?

I wonder why they didn't notice the baby losing weight?

I know they were first-time parents, but they were ages 27 and 31; they weren't teens.

They should have consulted a nurtrionist and/or a doctor who may guide them onto the right track of having a vegan baby.

It is possible-- it is just all about empowering self with knowledge about what an infant's body needs (protein, calcium, iron, zinc) and how to obtain it through various sources of food that are not necessarily from animals.

I think you all are just blowing it out of proportation and think vegan is a bad choice.
All I can say is that they made a stupid mistake and they had a terrible consquence that they have to live with for the rest of their lives-- and it doesn't matter whether they are vegan or not.

Let it be a lesson to every parents-- CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTORS about how to feed your baby-- regardless you want it to be vegan, semi-vegetarian, or goddamn meat-eater...

What your adult body needs now is VERY different what a newborn needs...!

Very sad. :(

I wonder why the mom didn't nurse the baby?

I wonder why they didn't notice the baby losing weight?

I know they were first-time parents, but they were ages 27 and 31; they weren't teens.

More and more mothers are NOT breast-feeding their babies-- "it hurt when the baby sucks on me!" is the most common excuse. The second common excuse is: "I dont want my breasts to look hell!"

Vanity. They don't deserve to have children if they complained about breastfeeding.

And what does 'teen' get to do with it? Just because people are in their mid 20, mid-30 doesn't mean they won't make stupid mistakes. Regardless of age, people DO make STUPID choices.

More and more mothers are NOT breast-feeding their babies-- "it hurt when the baby sucks on me!" is the most common excuse. The second common excuse is: "I dont want my breasts to look hell!"
I just thought that a vegan is supposedly a supporter of "natural" methods, so would be more inclined to breast feed, which is the healthiest, most natural way to feed a baby. It just surprised me that a vegan would prefer to give her baby soy "milk" instead of mother's milk.

And what does 'teen' get to do with it? Just because people are in their mid 20, mid-30 doesn't mean they won't make stupid mistakes. Regardless of age, people DO make STUPID choices.
It would be easier to understand a couple of teen parents not knowing better, but I would expect older parents to be more knowledgeable.

Not all mothers are able to breastfeed. (Before someone brings up the "they did it for thousands of years" argument, I should point out that the infant mortality rate is way lower than it used to be, in some cases because we have alternatives to breastfeeding.)

That said, being on a non-standard diet does carry with it a certain responsibility to educate yourself on dietary requirements, especially when you're dealing with someone who can't speak up when they're hungry or otherwise feeling ill.

More and more mothers are NOT breast-feeding their babies-- "it hurt when the baby sucks on me!" is the most common excuse.

I hear that one a lot too. My sister said it was quite painful the first few times to a point that she even cried over it but didn't stop and got used to it.

Even though it may be true some can't breastfeed due to unsafe substances found inside their breastmilk but most women are perfectly capable of breastfeeding without causing harm to the baby.

I thought of concept that child should choice when he/she is mature enough to be vegan without being focus like their parents.

First of all, the parents are dumbasses.

Second of all, Not all mothers are able to breastfeed... I hate to hear other people complain about mothers who choose not to breastfeed, I feel like they're trying to shove a guilt trip down the non-breastfeeding women's throats.

Second of all, Not all mothers are able to breastfeed... I hate to hear other people complain about mothers who choose not to breastfeed, I feel like they're trying to shove a guilt trip down the non-breastfeeding women's throats.
I agree. There's also formulas as well.

While adults may be vegans, they still need to feed their children with everything in order to help their bodies develop properly

It is very sad but a baby on a healthy vegan diet won't die.

That baby didn't die because he was a vegan. That baby died because you are not supposed to feed ordinary soya milk to a baby. Breast is best. If that is not possible then use a proper soy forum. It says that in books on vegan nutrition.

I know a lot of vegans who feed their babies on a vegan diet. Including a vegan couple who had twins. They are very healthy.

Let it be a lesson to every parents-- CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTORS about how to feed your baby-- regardless you want it to be vegan, semi-vegetarian, or goddamn meat-eater...

What your adult body needs now is VERY different what a newborn needs...!

That s correct. We dont know for fact if these parents were doing it on purpose by experimenting their baby to see if baby could survivie on soy milk and apple juice. And also it may be that these parents are illiterate and dont understand what being vegan mean.

Second of all, Not all mothers are able to breastfeed... I hate to hear other people complain about mothers who choose not to breastfeed, I feel like they're trying to shove a guilt trip down the non-breastfeeding women's throats.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I agree..people need to butt out of other people's business.

Anyways, that is so awful about the baby. How can people be sooooooo STUPID? Babies need the FAT not to be on a diet! GEEZ. :pissed:

Since the main point of the story was the baby's diet, that's the reason I was curious about the parent's decision to use the soy milk and apple juice. The story didn't say anything about the reason why they did that instead of breastfeeding. I don't see any problem with asking the question. It's a published story, not a personal conversation. I didn't say they "must" breastfeed; I just wondered why they didn't, since that decision did impact the baby's health.

Since the main point of the story was the baby's diet, that's the reason I was curious about the parent's decision to use the soy milk and apple juice. The story didn't say anything about the reason why they did that instead of breastfeeding. I don't see any problem with asking the question. It's a published story, not a personal conversation. I didn't say they "must" breastfeed; I just wondered why they didn't, since that decision did impact the baby's health.

I know what u mean...I wonder the same thing too.

I was referring to people who automatically criticize women for not breastfeeding without asking why first.

Fromy my personal experience I was only able to breast feed for two weeks, then I started getting these god awful migraines and for three days I suffered until I could no longer do it anymore. I went to the Doctor and he said here's what I could do - pump out some breast milk - pump as much as you can for the next 24 hours. Put them in bottles and after your done pumping, take the imitrex prescription for the migraines as needed. Then I slowly started mixing formula with the breast milk a little at a time then until my DD was on 100% formula. The hard part was getting her to go from the nipple to the bottle. I did what I could to breast feed knowing it was the best and cheaper but if I was having dizzying headaches to the point that I could not properly take care of my child I had to take care of me so I could in turn take care of my DD. When I first told one of my friends my DD was now on formula - she gave me a look of disgust. I didnt worry too much about it knowing I had consulted a doctor about it before hand before making the decision to stop breastfeeding and to go to formula. My DD is now a healthy and vibrant 3 year old.

As for th vegans - NO INFANT SHOULD BE PUT ON A VEGAN DIET! As a matter of fact it is highly recommended by most pediatricians that children under the age of 5 should be put on a special diet unless it is doctors orders for them to avoid certain foods for health reasons. At ages between 5 and 14 most pediatricians will say "Yeah Tommy is a little overweight for his age, but you can encourage him to get out more and to provide him with healthier food choices and slightly limit his food intake. See you in 3 months to chart his progress." That sort of thing. The 'diet' is being monitored by a healthcare professional.

The only reason an infant should be on soy formula is if the infant is lactose intolerant and it has been confirmed by a pediatrician. That is why soy formula was formed in the first place.

As for th vegans - NO INFANT SHOULD BE PUT ON A VEGAN DIET! As a matter of fact it is highly recommended by most pediatricians that children under the age of 5 should be put on a special diet unless it is doctors orders for them to avoid certain foods for health reasons. At ages between 5 and 14 most pediatricians will say "Yeah Tommy is a little overweight for his age, but you can encourage him to get out more and to provide him with healthier food choices and slightly limit his food intake. See you in 3 months to chart his progress." That sort of thing. The 'diet' is being monitored by a healthcare professional.

The only reason an infant should be on soy formula is if the infant is lactose intolerant and it has been confirmed by a pediatrician. That is why soy formula was formed in the first place.

That's not true. Cows milk is meant for calves not for human consumsion. It's full of pus and all sorts of growth hormones and antibiotics that are really bad for you and cause cancer. So no baby should be on cows milk. If you can't give them breast milk which is really the best option they should be on soy formula. Don't wait until they get Alergic to cows milk first as some people are allergic without even realising it.

Please read: NutritionMD.org :: How to Choose the Right Formula for Your Infant

Back