USB OBD II Scanner

I just checked Ebay (plop!) It's so expensive! Just for a Current Probe (from $200 up to $1,200). I realized that it doesn't have correct jack that my Oscilloscope that use BNC type. I found other website, not Ebay that they do sell one for BNC type oscilloscope which is lot cheaper. It's in United Kingdom.

Oh well!! I will have to keep searching.

Catty

Thanks! That'll be my future reference!! I will look into the Current Clamp on Ebay to see how much it cost. It shouldn't cost much tho..

I believe that USB OBD II Scanner as well as hand held OBD II scanner may not be able to read all 4 of O2 sensors. Your info would help me to narrow down to faulty O2 sensor.

I will still buy USB OBD II scanner so I can monitor rest of other info of automotive's sensor activities. And reset the MIL (Engine check )

Thanks a ton!

Catty

No problem.

OBD II device from Factory like GM only or Ford only or Toyota only, etc.. Not work for any mix brand (Ford and GM) do have real-time data but expensive.

OBD II from Snap-on is very powerful and it everything for any brand and full info but who can afford for $5,000. That's what I heard.

So OBD II with usb is cheaper.

I had a problem with check engine light. Dealer wanted $99.95 just to diagnose the problem and would credit me the $99.99 if I had them do the work. I went to the local auto parts store and bought an OBD II scanner for 50 bucks. I am able to diagnose and reset the codes with the one I purchased. It was a wise investment.

Sorry, not true anymore, it can apply to almost any vehicles, my scanner will work with just any ODB I and ODB II.

Of course, you WERE right back then when ODB I came out, it has its limit to make and model.

No problem.

OBD II device from Factory like GM only or Ford only or Toyota only, etc.. Not work for any mix brand (Ford and GM) do have real-time data but expensive.

OBD II from Snap-on is very powerful and it everything for any brand and full info but who can afford for $5,000. That's what I heard.

So OBD II with usb is cheaper.

Exactly, and sometimes mechanic lie in order to get more money. Owning a scanner will tell you what the problem is, and if mechanic tells you otherwise, then you smell farts from them.

My state inspection law requires zero error code or message on ODB I and ODB II system... Sucks? You betcha!

I had a problem with check engine light. Dealer wanted $99.95 just to diagnose the problem and would credit me the $99.99 if I had them do the work. I went to the local auto parts store and bought an OBD II scanner for 50 bucks. I am able to diagnose and reset the codes with the one I purchased. It was a wise investment.

Sorry, not true anymore, it can apply to almost any vehicles, my scanner will work with just any ODB I and ODB II.

Of course, you WERE right back then when ODB I came out, it has its limit to make and model.

Your scanner is not FACTORY. It just aftermarket and it design for universal for any vehicles with OBDI/II.

Why should Ford create the OBD II device for any brand of vehicle like Honda, Toyota,etc? I don't think so.

Factory OBD for limit brand only and aftermarket OBD for universal are different

You said ODB so it's mean Ol' Dirty Bastard. What about it?

One time I grab wrong device that it for Ford only and it can't read any info from GM vehicle with OBD II. You get a idea.

Here a link what FACTORY OBD look like

http://wb7.itrademarket.com/pdimage/90/1547190_hondadiagnosticsystemkit-1.jpg

http://www.obdtoolstore.com/shop/images/061111 SI - BMW OBD2.jpg

Not just type of plug.

Your scanner is not FACTORY. It just aftermarket and it design for universal for any vehicles with OBDI/II.

Why should Ford create the OBD II device for any brand of vehicle like Honda, Toyota,etc? I don't think so.

Factory OBD for limit brand only and aftermarket OBD for universal are different

One time I grab wrong device that it for Ford only and it can't read any info from GM vehicle with OBD II. You get a idea.

Not just type of plug.

I wonder if there are software that would open up more functions for certain models without purchasing specific OBD II scanners for each make of cars without blowing $2k to $6k just for the crap.

If Aftermarket OBDII scanner can do most of the job providing internal information of the automotive, would that be close enough?

Catty

If you google find out what, who, why start OBD in the first place you will understand this better.

OBD was meant to be universal to meet federal emission requirement started by state of California.

OBD II is more universal than OBD I meaning one scanner can connect almost any vehicles, I have used my OBD scanner on several different makes and model and it worked every time and hit on target when doing troubleshooting. I had no problem with it so far and am damn glad I bought it instead of paying greedy dealer for diagnosis.

Again, please do hard reserch on origns of OBD.

Good luck.

Please Google or use search engine and RESEARCH!

Not just type of plug.

I wonder if there are software that would open up more functions for certain models without purchasing specific OBD II scanners for each make of cars without blowing $2k to $6k just for the crap.

If Aftermarket OBDII scanner can do most of the job providing internal information of the automotive, would that be close enough?

Catty

That's one I use it a lot and work for ANY vechicles (1996-up) that I know so far.

EASE PC Scan Tool

You can contact to company and ask for software only since you already own OBD2 USB device. Make sure it's work with your OBD2 USB device.

I am thinking about getting USB OBD II Scanner cuz it's cheap and use USB connect to laptop. My truck popped engine check light again and I am just fed up and wanted to narrow down what's really wrong. I've replaced couple of Oxygen Sensor last spring. It seem that when weather is cold, Engine check light lit on and stays on all day..

I thought OBD II Scanner would cost around $100 and up until I looked through Ebay and found out there's cheap one out there using USB. I thought why not!! :hmm:

I could afford "least used" tools addition for my toolbox. I can use Netbook or any old junk working PC w/ USB laying around in garage to use it as a simple automotive diagnostic viewer and reset MIL (engine check light). USB OBD II scanner works the same way as hand held OBD II Scanner. It includes software.

(This info copied and pasted from USB OBD II Scanner in Ebay, all are the same as different seller's listing that sells same thing.)

OBD II V1.3 USB AUTO Scanner Auto Code Reader

The program lets you perform the following operations:

Read diagnostic trouble codes, both generic and manufacturer-specific , and display their meaning (over 3000 generic code definitions in the database).

Clear trouble codes and turn off the MIL ("Check Engine" light)

Display current sensor data, including:
Engine RPM
Calculated Load Value
Coolant Temperature
Fuel System Status
Vehicle Speed
Short Term Fuel Trim
Long Term Fuel Trim
Intake Manifold Pressure
Timing Advance
Intake Air Temperature
Air Flow Rate
Absolute Throttle Position
Oxygen sensor voltages/associated short term fuel trims
Fuel System status
Fuel Pressure
Many others...

Multi-Protocol Support:
SAE J1850 PWM (41.6 kbaud)
SAE J1850 VPW (10.4 kbaud)
ISO 9141-2 (5 baud init, 10.4 kbaud)
ISO 14230-4 KWP (5 baud init, 10.4 kbaud)
ISO 14230-4 KWP (fast init, 10.4 kbaud)
ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 500 kbaud)
ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 500 kbaud)
ISO 15765-4 CAN (11 bit ID, 250 kbaud)
ISO 15765-4 CAN (29 bit ID, 250 kbaud)

Supported Software :
Scantool_net113win
EasyOBDII
OBD2Spy
ScanMaster-EL

It is compatible with MOST American automotive after January 1st 1996 including European and Japanese model that have OBD II and EOBD II.

On Ebay I could get it for $25 bucks w/ Free Sh/H. Knowing that I don't plan on using it often. I could help friend fix their car as well. I bet that my deafie friends would line up to borrow it :rofl: They complained that OBD II Handheld scanner are expensive and don't use much and it's not worth blowing buck on that. They wish they can borrow someone else's OBD II Scanner but no one they knew owns it. So that'll be me. I don't care if they fried my OBD II scanner as long as they will be willing to pay for replacement. :roll:

Catty :cool:
Don't buy Code Reader scanner cuz they won't reveal Freeze Frame data. I never see any live data in Code Reader scanners. Catty, if you love to working on the OBDII vehicles every weekends, you need a good scanner
(laptop or handheld) that have live data, freeze frame data, CAN and Mode6, will help you to diagnose the MIL or no start or emission problem. I guess the price range for handheld scanner is around $200 to $5K or $8k. USB OBDII around up to $2K (not include PC laptop). My older scanner is Snap-On and outdated, still use it for any OBD-I and II and will not work with CAN vehicles. I use a shop's scanner to plug the CAN vehicles.
Code Reader scanner will not help you to pinpoint the problem.

Don't buy Code Reader scanner cuz they won't reveal Freeze Frame data. I never see any live data in Code Reader scanners. Catty, if you love to working on the OBDII vehicles every weekends, you need a good scanner
(laptop or handheld) that have live data, freeze frame data, CAN and Mode6, will help you to diagnose the MIL or no start or emission problem. I guess the price range for handheld scanner is around $200 to $5K or $8k. USB OBDII around up to $2K (not include PC laptop). My older scanner is Snap-On and outdated, still use it for any OBD-I and II and will not work with CAN vehicles. I use a shop's scanner to plug the CAN vehicles.

Odd, My father just bought the new OBDII for $90 for himself from Costco and It do have FF (freeze frame data)
Equus_3100a_CanOBD2_Code_Reader-00640x.jpg

But I still dont like it because there is no real-time data.

I am agreed with you that code reader scanner is useless.

I'm not planning on testing vehicles every weekend :lol: I just want to narrow down the problem to fix it and shut up the MIL. That's basically it, nothing more. Both of my Chrystler vehicles of same year (Jeep and Dodge) uses OBD II. That's why I want a cheap one..

Catty

Odd, My father just bought the new OBDII for $90 for himself from Costco and It do have FF (freeze frame data)
Equus_3100a_CanOBD2_Code_Reader-00640x.jpg

But I still dont like it because there is no real-time data.

I am agreed with you that code reader scanner is useless.
Oh, wtf. I know the INNOVA scanners are good but code reader have FF? $90?
not bad. I ll look up the INNOVA scanners later. Thanks for infro

I'm not planning on testing vehicles every weekend :lol: I just want to narrow down the problem to fix it and shut up the MIL. That's basically it, nothing more. Both of my Chrystler vehicles of same year (Jeep and Dodge) uses OBD II. That's why I want a cheap one..

Catty
Hey, I feel your Chrysler vehicles might have EVAP system problems. Wonder did you pull codes from the vehicles? Were they P0442? P0455? If so you need to track the cracked EVAP lines such as rubber hoses from gas tank to EVAP canister(s) to the front engine's EVAP purge valve solenoid. Look for sign of cracks or spitted on the end of the rubber hoses. I did fix these Chrysler vehicles every time I plug the OBDII connectors. Same as Jeeps or mini vans.
EVAP stand for evaporative.
Maybe of your vehicles have recalls like reprogram or flash PCM?
I have to go to work. Post you guys later

Yes, I saw it last week when changing oil on my 2007 Honda SUV at Lube Shop. They used handheld scanner for checking. Man showed it to me that battery is not good and require to replace new battery. I don't un why original battery is short life. :(
At the gas station, I saw a new aftermarketed battery in a newer Honda Accord as this car brought in for oil change. I dont know why.

Not every error code will cause MIL to illuminate.

For instance, one error code for gas level sensor, won't cause the MIL to illuminate, but would show up at Inspection.
yep, happen to me last year that I diagnosed customer's 2002 Vette for errated fuel gauge and no MIL, then I grabbed my scan tool to plugged the ODBII jack, found code P0461 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Range/Performance that stored in PCM. Yeah it will fail at the smog check station. New fuel pump assy that came with new fuel level sensor took a care of P0461.

Hey, I feel your Chrysler vehicles might have EVAP system problems. Wonder did you pull codes from the vehicles? Were they P0442? P0455? If so you need to track the cracked EVAP lines such as rubber hoses from gas tank to EVAP canister(s) to the front engine's EVAP purge valve solenoid. Look for sign of cracks or spitted on the end of the rubber hoses. I did fix these Chrysler vehicles every time I plug the OBDII connectors. Same as Jeeps or mini vans.
EVAP stand for evaporative.
Maybe of your vehicles have recalls like reprogram or flash PCM?
I have to go to work. Post you guys later

I haven't ordered USB OBD II Scanner reader yet. Thanks for info and I will look under it. I did recalled that there are recall for my Durango due to EVAP system. I haven't send it for recall repair. My durango did have recall on electrical system under the dash because it can catch fire on certain circumstance.

Catty

yea, I had that same problem, thanks to my scanner saved me bunch of inspection fees.

yep, happen to me last year that I diagnosed customer's 2002 Vette for errated fuel gauge and no MIL, then I grabbed my scan tool to plugged the ODBII jack, found code P0461 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit Range/Performance that stored in PCM. Yeah it will fail at the smog check station. New fuel pump assy that came with new fuel level sensor took a care of P0461.

Back