US troops losing hearing

You guys must all believe in the oxymoron of military intelligence.

I had my horrible cochlear experience at a "state of the art" veteran's hospital. The failure rate is a well-kept military secret. I try to keep a cool head when discussing the treatment of veterans by the grateful citizenry of any country, and the kindest comment I can muster is how soon they forget.

You guys must all believe in the oxymoron of military intelligence.

I had my horrible cochlear experience at a "state of the art" veteran's hospital. The failure rate is a well-kept military secret. I try to keep a cool head when discussing the treatment of veterans by the grateful citizenry of any country, and the kindest comment I can muster is how soon they forget.

I was being sarcastic!:giggle:

I did appreciate all the wit. I was being sarcastic about military intelligence, and it was directed at all the comments, not one in particular. But then, how intelligent was I to stay in for ten years?

I did appreciate all the wit. I was being sarcastic about military intelligence, and it was directed at all the comments, not one in particular. But then, how intelligent was I to stay in for ten years?

More intelligent than if you had stayed 15!:giggle:

Done. And in that thread, you will find that an employee of the Pentagon has stated the same...a member ofthe Armed Forces will be permitted, after CI and loosing hteir hearing during active duty, to finish out their enlistment period in a more appropriate postition, but will not be permitted to engage in battle, nor will he be placed in a war zone. And he willfinish his enlistment period, but not permitted to re-enlist. This only supports what I said in my earlier post.

I haven't read the material but I agree....stands to reason....if the military rejects flat-footed candidates for enlistment, why, then, CI implantee soldiers would certainly be placed, for the duration of their enlistment, out of harm's way. :giggle:

... I try to keep a cool head when discussing the treatment of veterans by the grateful citizenry of any country, and the kindest comment I can muster is how soon they forget.
I was at the VA hospital yesterday; it always makes me sad to see my fellow veterans there. I almost feel guilty for the health that I have. :(

I was at the VA hospital yesterday; it always makes me sad to see my fellow veterans there. I almost feel guilty for the health that I have. :(
You volunteer there, Reba or was it an interpreting assignment or some other reason?

You volunteer there, Reba or was it an interpreting assignment or some other reason?
Yesterday I was there as a veteran outpatient. :)

The two-hour wait past my appointment time was bad enough for me but I felt sorry for those who traveled even further for their appointments.

Sometimes I'm there for other reasons, too. ;)

AP IMPACT: US troops losing hearing - Yahoo! News

Wonder what this is going to mean for the HA industry...would be nice to see some of that military money going towards research but that'll never happen.

Well, to put it simple: It will explode! It will be featured on the news as if it's new and everyone should be concerned about it. :cool2: But, we here on AD and are deaf/work with deaf, know the impact of being deaf. These new deaf people will take it as if it's a trauma to them and, gosh, do we have a "health" crises or what? :devil:

That's the name..........remember how Nesmuth was yapping about how stem cells were curing hearing loss? Gee, why did the fact that there's a HUGE number of soliders with hearing loss make the news?
Anyone know where Nesmuth is?

That's the name..........remember how Nesmuth was yapping about how stem cells were curing hearing loss? Gee, why did the fact that there's a HUGE number of soliders with hearing loss make the news?

Shhhh! Let's not disturb him!:giggle: **tiptoeing away quietly**

He has been banned.

Oh he has been banned. Still I would LOVE to hear his reaction to this news.

It is not surprising to me.

Some retired soldiers who are working in where I work, have had some degrees of hearing loss since their retirement from the armed forces. A few of them have had to ask my interpreters to speak bit more loud whenever I discuss or talk.

I remember one soldier who lost all his hearing in Vietnam War, went to Gally as a student. God only knows where he is now.

Back