US troops losing hearing

Do u think they will get Cochlear Implants? Would be cool if they learned ASL and become a part of the Deaf community! :)

Do u think they will get Cochlear Implants? Would be cool if they learned ASL and become a part of the Deaf community! :)

Don't know, if armies want that then they will get one but just better to try on HA at first place if work or not.

Ironically the armed forces doesn't allow (unless I'm mistaken) deaf/hh people to join...

I've thought about this in the past, and I was wondering if there will be situations where soldiers are fitted with cochlear implants so that they can return to duty (after severe hearing loss) and then essentially be immune to situations where other soldiers would be injured by extremely loud noises.

I've thought about this in the past, and I was wondering if there will be situations where soldiers are fitted with cochlear implants so that they can return to duty (after severe hearing loss) and then essentially be immune to situations where other soldiers would be injured by extremely loud noises.

Nope, the CIs won't help them to get back in the active duty, unfortunately

Nowhere in the first article does it say that the man has been returned to active duty. And certainly not to a war zone.

The second article is about preventig tinnitus, not about someone with CI being returned to active duty.

If someone not using with cochlear implants, so they would be taking ASL
to communicate with deaf people, that is wonderful!

Done. And in that thread, you will find that an employee of the Pentagon has stated the same...a member ofthe Armed Forces will be permitted, after CI and loosing hteir hearing during active duty, to finish out their enlistment period in a more appropriate postition, but will not be permitted to engage in battle, nor will he be placed in a war zone. And he willfinish his enlistment period, but not permitted to re-enlist. This only supports what I said in my earlier post.

Well, I tried to join the military and they DQed me......:dunno2: I don't think that's fair to me.

you know...................when I read this in the paper, I immediatly thought of whatshisface, that guy in SoCal who was yapping about how stem cells were curing soilders with hearing loss. Where are all the cures now? You''d think that the government would opt for curing them, since then that way they wouldn't have to pay disabilty!

you know...................when I read this in the paper, I immediatly thought of whatshisface, that guy in SoCal who was yapping about how stem cells were curing soilders with hearing loss. Where are all the cures now? You''d think that the government would opt for curing them, since then that way they wouldn't have to pay disabilty!

And they could return to active duty!

Back