US policeman used Taser on 72-year-old woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara1981

Reaction score
US policeman used Taser on 72-year-old woman
US policeman used Taser on 72-year-old woman - Telegraph

Video released by a Travis County Constable's Office shows Kathryn Winkfein hitting the ground and moaning while the shocks jolted through her body after the confrontation with Chris Bieze, Travis County sheriff's deputy.

Mrs Winkfein was stopped for driving 60 mph in a 45-mph zone just west of Austin. Video from a camera in the deputy's car showed Mrs Winkfein, who is 4ft 11 inches tall, refusing to sign her speeding ticket, getting out of her white pick-up truck and swearing at the deputy constable.

Mr Bieze then pushes her to get her away from traffic.

"You're gonna shove a 72-year-old woman," Mrs Winkfein said angrily, standing inches from the deputy.

"If you don't step back, you're going to get Tased," Mr Bieze said.

"Go ahead, Tase me," she replied. "I dare you."

The video showed Mr Bieze using the Taser and Mrs Winkfein hitting the ground and moaning in pain.

"Put your hands behind your back or you're going to be Tased again," Mr Bieze shouted, and then hits her with another jolt.

Travis County Sheriff Greg Hamilton, whose office does not oversee the constables, issued a statement saying: "I do not personally agree with the actions of the deputy constable as they are shown in the video. When I look at the video I am in awe of what happened."

Mrs Winkfein was eventually charged with resisting arrest, a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and fines up to $4,000.

Constable Sgt. Maj. Gary Griffin has defended Mr Bieze's actions and said that Mrs Winkfein was belligerent and difficult to handle.

Mrs Winkfein previously told Austin television station KTBC that she didn't believe she deserved to be shocked.

"I wasn't argumentative, I was not combative. This is a lie," she told the station.

Umm, difficult to say, I can see that she was being uncoperative (sp) but there is no need for her to be tasered. The police man clearly wanted her out of danger as she was in the way of road. Also she seems to be no threat to the police man just verbal and being stubborn old woman.

If she had sped, she should be booked like everyone else. But the result of being silly she had been fined huge amount of money and name on crimial records so it's her fault anyway but the police man is in the wrong for tasering her unnecessarily.

Age shouldn't matter. You could see her pushing him and he was right on the edge of the road.

She should have gotten charged with assaulting a police officer too.

Age shouldn't matter. You could see her pushing him and he was right on the edge of the road.

:confused: Where?

This is what I see...

Botts, I just watched the video...I didnt see her pushing him but him pushing her.

Botts, I just watched the video...I didnt see her pushing him but him pushing her.

In the first 15 seconds, I saw her arm up and thought she pushed him. Maybe no.. And then at around 110 seconds she jerked her arm out of his grasp.

Yep! *Chuckle*

She was 4'11" tall, 72 years old, and this was a speeding ticket. If he wanted her subdued, there were far better ways to accomplish it. She was tiny and elderly....pick her up and move her.

She was elderly....but....she was "taunting" the police officer.
she's old enuf to know better and have respect for the law....Even if the officer would have picked her up, I'm sure she would have fought back. It was her "attitude" that got her into so much trouble to begin with...and her speeding 60mph in a 40mph.....At 72 years old?

Maybe she was on medication or had been drinking...I dunno. But if it were a "younger" person, I'm sure the Officer would have thrown her down to the ground!....If he had thrown her to the ground, she might have broken some bones, if he would have "picked her up" to move her, with her attitude, she might have gone for his gun.....so I see a "no win" situation here!.....There have been some very elderly people locked up in jail, with shackles on their hands and legs.....Not a "pretty sight"....but at times it's necessary.

Some elderly people become very "cranky" and want their way. But we have to remember, we are not above the law!......It's a dose of reality!

Dang, he's got her with a taser. Using a taser on elderly people can be deadly force, and is not really recommended.

That's true, rockin'robin. When elderly people don't like to be ordered, they just hit adrenaline. Boom. They just become very strong. Perhaps the police can take tips from experienced health aides, nurses and doctors who have been dealing with elderly people daily at care facilities.

Dang, he's got her with a taser. Using a taser on elderly people can be deadly force, and is not really recommended.

neither is rough handling. Which one do you prefer - rough-handling the driver that can leads to bigger situation (ie. one of them could fall onto street and get hit by incoming vehicle or one of them get injured) or a taser at low voltage to subdue the combative, uncooperative driver in a safe, controlled manner.

After viewing the video clip -
1. the cop exercised with restraint and professionalism
2. He radioed to his supervisor (or dispatch center) a few times
3. He had to rough-handle the driver to safely put her in the safe area away from the freeway.
4. By not signing the ticket, you are subjected to arrest AS REQUIRED BY THE LAW
5. The driver continued to be combative, argumentative, and uncooperative and she resisted the arrest as well.
6. the cop gave AMPLE AMOUNT of warning
7. the cop finally tasered her to bring her under control

I support the cop's action 100%. The case is simple - the driver was NON-COMPLIANT. It's the safety issue for both parties. Of course - this could be handled differently but that's easy for you to say as armchair critic.

It is so obvious that the cop is big and tall. The lady is short and old. He can arrest her without using his taser gun. He really wants to shoot her badly because he is FIVE years old. That cop is really weird. He should be fired no matter what because he did not use his common sense. She would be dead easily if she has a heart pacemaker.

It is so obvious that the cop is big and tall. The lady is short and old. He can arrest her without using his taser gun. He really wants to shoot her badly because he is FIVE years old. That cop is really weird. He should be fired no matter what because he did not use his common sense. She would be dead easily if she has a heart pacemaker.

with the way she was acting and resisting, nope definitely no symptom of heart condition. If she has a pacemaker, then she wouldn't dare officer to taze her. After all - the cop took his taser gun out and warned her several times.

So what do you prefer? a cop aggressively arresting her while she's fighting back which can lead to broken arm? or do you prefer that the officer to throw her onto ground or car hood with his body weight on her while trying to handcuff her which can lead to broken ribs or other bones? or how about pepper-spraying her which can lead to respiratory arrest?

Let's face it - whatever the cop does to arrest her, it won't be pretty anyway. This situation can be easily avoided by simply signing the ticket.

I'm curious - what do you want the officer to do in this situation?

:confused: Where?

This is what I see...

This was probably done to avoid from endangering both their lives, especially since she was uncooperative.

with the way she was acting and resisting, nope definitely no symptom of heart condition. If she has a pacemaker, then she wouldn't dare officer to taze her. After all - the cop took his taser gun out and warned her several times.

So what do you prefer? a cop aggressively arresting her while she's fighting back which can lead to broken arm? or do you prefer that the officer to throw her onto ground or car hood with his body weight on her while trying to handcuff her which can lead to broken ribs or other bones? or how about pepper-spraying her which can lead to respiratory arrest?

Let's face it - whatever the cop does to arrest her, it won't be pretty anyway. This situation can be easily avoided by simply signing the ticket.

I believe that he would use his pepper spray on her face or call for a backup so that his partner would help him to arrest her. Actually, that's his job to arrest her physically. That's what he is trained for. On the video clip, he looks strong, but his mind thinks that his body is fragile.

I believe that he would use his pepper spray on her face or call for a backup so that his partner would help him to arrest her. Actually, that's his job to arrest her physically. That's what he is trained for. On the video clip, he looks strong, but his mind thinks that his body is fragile.

Yes he looks strong. and guess what? he can easily break her arms while arresting her and this will show up in the headline - "US police man broke 72-years old woman's arm while arresting her for refusing to sign speeding ticket" and the response from you guys will be same - STUPID COP!!! POWER TRIPPER!!! :roll:

pepper spraying has been proven and statically ineffective. Pepper Spraying is as risky as Taser because both will lead to respiratory failure and/or heart attack except the taser has a significant advantage over pepper spray - an ability to quickly subdue a non-compliant person in a safe, controlled manner. You cannot achieve this same result with pepper spray.

He did what he was trained to do - to arrest the driver for refusing to sign the ticket. The driver resisted arrest. The officer did what he can to arrest her.

What would I want him to do? Start with the basics they used to be trained in before they had pepper sprays and tasers to rely on to assert their authority.

Present a non threatening demeanor and attempt to calm the subject while defusing the situation.

Often letting people rant until they wear down is all that is needed.

Psych 101 and patience.

She is a 4'11" 72 old lady, all he has to do is stand in front of her to keep her from going anywhere. I've known several cops who could have talked her into signing the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back