UPS Settles Suit With Deaf Employees

VamPyroX said:
Did you ask them why they won't let you be manager or driver?

long story to explain....

VamPyroX said:
Did you ask them why they won't let you be manager or driver?

I know someone used to work for UPS in Phoenix, AZ. She wanted to promote from regular UPS worker to UPS driver. She passed driving test with flying colors, but she kept turned down for UPS driver position. So, she sued UPS for discrimination because UPS company has some fears that Deaf drivers can't hear the honk, etc.. whatever they have fears. It is just silly. She won the lawsuit against UPS. I dunno how much she got a check from the lawyer.

Now, she is working for United State Postal Office somewhere in Phoenix.

Oddball said:
I know someone used to work for UPS in Phoenix, AZ. She wanted to promote from regular UPS worker to UPS driver. She passed driving test with flying colors, but she kept turned down for UPS driver position. So, she sued UPS for discrimination because UPS company has some fears that Deaf drivers can't hear the honk, etc.. whatever they have fears. It is just silly. She won the lawsuit against UPS. I dunno how much she got a check from the lawyer.

Uh oh... that is not good news. If the post office fucks around with her, she's gonna go "postal"! :eek: :rifle:

Oddball said:

I agree they are dumb and hearing! we can DO everything except phone

Deaf258 said:
That's why I think hearing people should pay for SSI taxes because they don't keep Deaf peeps employed!
I agree with deaf258 about taxing some rich hearing people....

I never got good job and no one wants to hire me in the city. I guess i should make money by suing people for not hiring me.

I filled application and interview at same day at UPS last December 2003, and they didnt hire me. I called to the manager her name is Gwen and she said we are not hiring because too many people work at UPS :wtf: I think it's bullshit cuz my friend is hearing and they hired him last week. So I still keeping pick on them on the phone so they will fed up and hire me :fingersx:

Christo said:
I filled application and interview at same day at UPS last December 2003, and they didnt hire me. I called to the manager her name is Gwen and she said we are not hiring because too many people work at UPS :wtf: I think it's bullshit cuz my friend is hearing and they hired him last week. So I still keeping pick on them on the phone so they will fed up and hire me :fingersx:

Simple answer is the manager has fears of hiring Deaf employers. Why did she say "we are not hiring because too many people at UPS." Your friend was hired last week. It did not make sense at all. I strongly believe that she covered up by lying to you. Good luck on persistenting her for hiring you.

Christo said:
Why don't you give them a call? See what they tell you. Tell them that your friend applied after you and got the job and you didn't cuz they weren't hiring.

damn.... i though it was more than 10 million....i think it was up to 88 million dollar what ups pay deaf for maybe i am wrong about that one that is why i just got alot of differnet infor.... damn that is good one i got thanks sabrina and everyone in this message thanks ...

Sabrina said:
NY Times articles.......

Lawyers for more than 1,000 current and former deaf employees at United Parcel Service yesterday announced the settlement of a discrimination lawsuit in which the company agreed to pay $10 million and to take steps to accommodate deaf workers.

In the settlement in San Francisco, U.P.S. pledged to provide deaf workers with effective communications, including interpreters, for interviews, orientation, training, safety meetings and disciplinary sessions.

The plaintiffs' lawyers predicted that the settlement would encourage other companies to do more to accommodate deaf employees. The settlement was announced in San Francisco, after the lawsuit had been tried for six weeks in a federal courtroom there.

"This settlement is precedent-setting," said Caroline Jacobs, a lawyer with Disability Rights Advocates, a nonprofit law group. "It sends a message to employers throughout the country that disabled employees deserve the same opportunities in the workplace as any other employee, and the nation's fourth largest employer can't treat its deaf employees as second-class citizens."

U.P.S., a package delivery service, has 320,000 employees in the United States.

At the trial, Babaranti Oloyede, a Bay area employee at U.P.S., testified that the company refused to provide him with an interpreter during a safety training session on watching for packages that might carry anthrax. He said that over 10 years the company never provided a qualified interpreter for any other training.

Peggy Gardner, a U.P.S. spokeswoman, said, "The measures called for in the settlement will make what we believe is one of the best working environments even better."

In settling, she said, the company was not admitting to having a discriminatory working environment. She said that the settlement made sense for the company because the trial was expected to last many more months.

U.P.S. agreed that company officials would meet at least three times a year with each deaf employee to address work concerns. To help with emergency evacuation procedures, U.P.S. will provide each deaf worker with a vibrating pager. The company will pay $4.1 million in lawyers' fees and distribute $5.8 million to the plaintiffs, with the amount ranging from $5,000 to $60,000.

by Steven Greenhouse

same as walmart and post office happen in sc big times what i heard about target is less 5 million dollar and ups is high one than all i heard two or four deaf sue walmart for not hired deaf...... that is what i know of it

tekkmortal said:
Looks like UPS and Target are top companies for discrimination lawsuit.

:ugh:

DeafUPSer

nozobo said:
I'm one of the class member for suing UPS...

I am the one DeafUPSer is suing them. That's sad for UPS company. I did drive for one year (2001-2002) for Air Driver then they discharged me! Their reason is INSURANCE! That's balony!

I work inside the building for soon 5 years with UPS in Louisiana.

Don't give up our Deaf Career UPS!!

Yeah me too

Did anyone of you get involve with the union.Becuz they will scewed UPS and say hell with you.I didnt becuz i knew that was going to happen.The Union is a very big crime organization. And they take your money out of your paycheck pay thre big Union leaders .Thats why the Aircraft bus, is going out of business guess what the Union,( i heard they re democrats sort of).What do you think my Dad told me that thats why i got out.Becus Ups are now afriad of lawsiuts now (deaf) becuz of the Union I think ways of talking to you etc. dont you think.

harleymn said:
Did anyone of you get involve with the union.Becuz they will scewed UPS and say hell with you.I didnt becuz i knew that was going to happen.The Union is a very big crime organization. And they take your money out of your paycheck pay thre big Union leaders .Thats why the Aircraft bus, is going out of business guess what the Union,( i heard they re democrats sort of).What do you think my Dad told me that thats why i got out.Becus Ups are now afriad of lawsiuts now (deaf) becuz of the Union I think ways of talking to you etc. dont you think.

Being in the union is on your side, Union organizers assist employees in forming unions on the job to give them the same opportunity for dignity and respect, good wages ..It has nothing to do with being a democrats. :roll:

you telling me...

That my dad doesnt know anything, the Unions are part of democrats maaan .They pay them period .

Yeah man it's the thing that is like, going around with this sorta stuff but that is cool man, like you know what I am saying, like freakin' butter not gonna melt in my mouth, man, know what I am saying, the the republicans sorta got their hand in the pocket, which is cool because my main main told me that is can be cool if you get my drift.

harleymn said:
That my dad doesnt know anything, the Unions are part of democrats maaan .They pay them period .

Senate Democrats Protect Workers from Bush’s Attack on Overtime Pay Protections..The protesters carried signs and chanted, “Don't take away our overtime pay," And Unions members vote for Democrats because, They do not agree with the war, because they lose money get it? So Maybe instead of blaming everything on the democrats get ur fact correct. Have a great night:)

Cheri said:
Senate Democrats Protect Workers from Bush’s Attack on Overtime Pay Protections..The protesters carried signs and chanted, “Don't take away our overtime pay," And Unions members vote for Democrats because, They do not agree with the war, because they lose money get it? So Maybe instead of blaming everything on the democrats get ur fact correct. Have a great night:)
There you go girl you got it right that is exactly what they re doing . no you need to find out more.good night lady .democrats blamed on replubicans becuz we tell the truth up front. get it lady

Oh, don't get me started on unions!!

Fuck the Unions. They never do a good job taking care of their Deaf members!

Back