update on frankie

Little off topic for this thread, but Medicare paid for my father in law's last powerchair, and I think he said he has to live 13 months before it is considered his.

Now he has terminal cancer, and I wonder, is the government going to show up and reclaim his wheelchair when he dies? I also wonder what the would do with it.

Sometimes I think government regulations are quite odd.

Medicare will, yes. I have never dealt with them, though, so don't know what kind of crap is involved. But, yes, they will pay for a chair and equipment (assuming Frankie qualifies).

I can't comment regarding the repossession of the chair. My thought is they wouldn't. Usually, chairs are donated to organizations like Easter Seals when they are no longer needed. I really don't know what to think of repossession. I've honestly not heard of that before. :hmm:

i know an absolute shitload.

:roll:

seriously, i do. what on earth does that have to do with anything?
im sorry that i am not a baby wearing fanatic. i have managed to raise 7 kids so far though that are on the right track, and havent impregnated anything or gotten themselves addicted to drugs, and are literate and even housebroken. i think im doing fine.

Yeah... the people I mentioned in my post (which was more of a joke than a "take seriously") wore their babies, but still wear their 11-year-old because she uses a wheelchair and they do stuff like hiking and skiing and mountain trails, and they didn't want her to miss out. That doesn't mean you (frankiesmom) have to carry your kid unless you want to.

There's not anything wrong with baby wearing. There's also not anything wrong with NOT baby wearing.

It's just something some people choose.

EDIT: WOW, there's been a lot of posts since I hit the reply button.

oh no, babywearing is great..im not talking about that. im talking about people who practically force their kids to do it when they can actively protest against it.

Medicare will, yes. I have never dealt with them, though, so don't know what kind of crap is involved. But, yes, they will pay for a chair and equipment (assuming Frankie qualifies).

I can't comment regarding the repossession of the chair. My thought is they wouldn't. Usually, chairs are donated to organizations like Easter Seals when they are no longer needed. I really don't know what to think of repossession. I've honestly not heard of that before. :hmm:

when my son alex ran over himself several years ago, he got a wheelchair until his pelvis healed...and they never came to get it..he used that thing for races down the hill, to carry stuff, etc. that poor thing was finally stolen by some rival neighbor kids.
:lol:
(he knocked our car out of gear while sneaking around in it, panicked and jumped out, and ran over his pelvis, ever so slightly..thank god!!)

It's dangerous to wear a kid if you aren't strong enough.

I think the doctors know quite a bit... But at the same time I don't agree with doctors or people putting limits on what a child can or cannot accomplish. Provide them with the opportunity, and as with Whatdidyousay's niece, they will never cease to amaze you. Children are little sponges- even children with cognitive issues. They just need to see and experience it consistently, and things will start to set in. He can do it, he just needs the opportunity.

The children I've been surrounded by, (and some with more severe intellectual disabilities) have made some amazing progress. One child who is deaf and also HA's autism over time demonstrated his receptive understanding of signs, and directions. His expressive vocabulary has been improving each year. Another child who is deaf and also had Down syndrome has made great progress, especially in the last two years. She is telling stories, and recounting memories from the day through ASL.
I realize Frankie has some different things going on, but there is more to him than meets the eye. Don't let the doctors limit what he "can do."

CSign, excellent point! ASL is awesome for kids with communication or intellectucal issues...Here in MA, we even have a school affliated with a former School for the Deaf, specificly for kids who are both dhh and not who have issues that inhibit spoken language ..and I do echo what you said.....a lot of kids with so called "severe" issues might not be as severely affected as experts think, if the right tools to reach them are used.

when my son alex ran over himself several years ago, he got a wheelchair until his pelvis healed...and they never came to get it..he used that thing for races down the hill, to carry stuff, etc. that poor thing was finally stolen by some rival neighbor kids.
:lol:
(he knocked our car out of gear while sneaking around in it, panicked and jumped out, and ran over his pelvis, ever so slightly..thank god!!)

I used to do dumb stuff too; to my detriment. :laugh2:

its ok, because my son adrian, when he was younger..totally took the neighbors dog out of its yard, and tried to sell it at the convenience store up the road. with a sign and everything..naturally, the neighbors saw this.

can i say sorry again i thought you were going for something that would stick out as my kid is disabled but i cant handle it

you not and thats great

can i say sorry again i thought you were going for something that would stick out as my kid is disabled but i cant handle it

you not and thats great

A stroller would be the last thing I would think of to stigmatize a kid; whether that child had a disability or not.

Being carried would do far more damage in that regard than a stroller would.

you not and thats great

Good job inmate! I see you are really growing up and can admit if you are wrong. :)

Moms keep so-called "normal" kids in a stroller as long as possible, because it's easier to keep up with them. Many strollers have a special place to put a bigger kid on the back standing up (facing front). Gotta corral those critters somehow. lol

30lbs is nothing dad used the pack till i 80lbs

but your made up your mind

I do not think it would be safe to have Frankie be carry on her back. He has trouble sitting up and would leaning to one side and this would made it harder to carry him a long time. Plus Frankie's has the GI tube and being in the small back pack may not to a good idea. It could rub against his little tubby and hurt him. Some people are not strong enough to carry a baby on their. I used a both a baby back pack and stroller and my baby turned out just find! I think Frankie's mom is going a great job in taking care of her son. I wish my parents where that aware of my needs when I was child!

yep, thats it exactly! that and i would rather cut my arm off than lug his chubby butt around all day.

Back