umm.. ok wow this is new....

laurabeth

Reaction score
Well, at least for me - new symptoms I guess - not sure what it means, but it's kind of making me a little on the nervous side..

went to bed last night with a small headache - a pretty common thing.

woke up this morning- headache gone (yay!) but now my husband is saying I'm walking like I'm a little drunk and leaning to the side ????

I feel like I'm walking straight and normal, when I move - but as soon as I stop I get really, really dizzy, and now my hearing in my left ear is fluctuating -- feels like someone is constantly putting in an earplug and taking it out again...

sorry, but this feels really, really weird.

WTF????
:confused:

Laura

I agree ... you need to go to urgent care / ER ... it may be "just a hearing thing" ... but it could also be signs of a stroke or other VERY SERIOUS condition.

PLEASE to the the ER and tell them about the headache, not walking straight and that this is not a "usual symptom" of your hearing.

Go even if you are feeling better.

Well, the good news is that I didn't have a stroke HA! Can't get rid of me that easily! :P

But I'm still having balance issues and my hearing in the left ear is alternating between semi-fine and nothing at all. Surprisingly, right is not changing too much.

The doctor at the Urgent care says I probably have a really bad ear infection. He'd like to run some more tests.

Maybe I'll do some creative financing to pay for them, :lol:

thanks,

Laura

I'm glad it wasn't something major!!

I typically get balance issues with ear infections, illnesses, exhaustion etc - so for me your symptoms are "normal-ish"

Whenever you have any unusual /new symptoms it's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry ... especially if the symptoms are also signs of something serious/life-threating (which is the case with sudden balance problems)

I'm really glad that you decided to go to ER/urgent care ... just in case.

Thanks you guys - hospitals in general are not my favorite places, but sometimes they do have their uses :lol:

So now I get to take antibiotics and check back with the doctor in a few days.

Can't wait to see the bill from the ER. Hopefully they'll take an installment payment plan!

Laura

Thanks you guys - hospitals in general are not my favorite places, but sometimes they do have their uses :lol:

Can't wait to see the bill from the ER. Hopefully they'll take an installment payment plan!

Laura

I think they do, and if you really don't have the financial wherewithal to pay, many hospitals have a charity fund and will forgive your bill.

This happened to a friend of mine who had sudden congestive heart failure.

Laura

They will take installment plans. However, I suggest you sit down before opening bill from them.

Laura

Dont worry about the money. your health is more important than a few pieces of paper and a coin. Get well and get plenty of rest I hope your diagnosis is something that can be repaired :)

Dont worry about the money. your health is more important than a few pieces of paper and a coin. Get well and get plenty of rest I hope your diagnosis is something that can be repaired :)

Agreed. After all, I'm sure hospital will have payment plans so you don't have to worry about making a lump sum payment etc. Besides, it's more important to ensure that your health gets looked at and then you can maintain it yourself whatever the outcome of tests.

ok -- am I overreacting here????

Hi Everyone,

Please let me know if I'm overreacting - I really need to know if my frustration and anger is warranted or if I'm letting my temper get the best of me.

Went in for some tests to try and figure out what is going on with my hearing and balance. During the visit, the doctor called in an ENT who sat and talked to me for quite a while and asked me a lot of questions about my medical past, as well as my family history, sketchy as it might be.

Based on my answers, and the preliminary results of the tests, he said that I might have a condition called neurofibromtosis type 2. From what I understand it is a genetic condition that is characterized by small tumors growing on the nerve that deals with balance and hearing, as well as the spinal column. They're usually slow growing and benign. Basically (again, forgive my limited understanding) the tumors grow and intertwine themselves with the nerves, and press in and effect their ability to transmit signals.

He gave me some literature, and cautioned that the diagnosis is not completely confirmed yet - he had to get a technician to verify the images- and that it would probably be in my best interest to get a separate opinion, just to be safe. He also said that if I had this, it either came from one of my parents, or it was a spontaneous mutation.

Fast forward a few hours, and I'm talking with my mom on the phone, trying to get some constructive feedback, etc. We discuss the various symptoms that I have experienced over the years, and quickly determine that many of them that were previously attributed to other things could be attributed to this as well. I realize that the tentative diagnosis is just that, tentative, but it would explain quite a lot.

Then my mom nonchalantly drops this one on me.

Apparently, my father was diagnosed with NF before he met my mom, and the two of them knew that there was a 50/50 chance that it would be passed along to their children. They made the decision to have children, and not test them for the possibility of the having the condition. Plus, once I started to exhibit some of the symptoms that were similar to ones with the condition they got together and decided not to mention to me that this was a possibility. Their reasoning? Two things - they figured that since my dad really didn't have too much trouble with it, I wouldn't either, and two at my age at the time (late teens early twenties) I was too stubborn to listen to them anyway.

I'm not upset about being born with this condition - if it is what I have. I wouldn't trade my life with all it's ups and downs for anything. But I am angry that my parents decided that it would be better to keep me in the dark to this possibility.

So am I overreacting here? It's the next morning after the conversation with my mom and I'm still seeing red, so to speak.

Laura

Hello,
From my limited understanding of the condition, it doesn't sound good.

I can see why you are mad with your mother about hiding this important bit of information from you and your siblings because it meant taking all those years of being used to the idea of possibly developing this condition and then prepare than being informed after the fact.

I can understand that she and your dad wanted to protect the kids from worrying about this genetic condition, I guess, but still... it's something that kids do need to know for themselves.

I can understand your frusteration and would be upset as well if my mom were to keep something like that from me. Maybe just take a few days to not talk to your mom just to cool off so to speak ..get your 2nd opinion for sure and see what the tech says when they look. Hoping you don't have NF as I hear it can be hard to deal with but if it makes you feel any better I might have MS but we're strong right! Us women can deal with a lot:P Men can too sometimes I guess:) lol

My Advice, don't be too upset at your mom ..Sometimes parents *think* what they are doing for their children is right even when it may not be...but at the time that's what they thought..can't do much about it now since it happened in the past only move forward and if you do have it fight it with a passion:) You sound like a strong person so keep your chin up:)

man that is a bummer. i happen to know a family with NF and yes it is hereditary big time. i will not say much about it unless you have a definite diagnosis but i would suggest not having kids !! that 50/50 possibility was 90% in the family i know. everyone had it to the 3rd generation. there is newer treatments for it but you need constant monitoring at the least. since your father had it do you have siblings with the same symptoms?

This is in my husband's family and one of his cousins does have it.

Think about this, would you really wanted to spend your life worrying about what might happen from this?

thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for your responses - still no official word yet (grrrr...)

I understand why my parents did what they did, but I do think there is a difference between being prepared for a possibility and worrying needlessly about it. Especially in the case of NF (been doing a bit of research) where monitoring is key.

:ty:

have a great night everyone!

Laura

Back