Ubuntu Linux vs Windows Vista

First, Slackware is NOT for "experienced" users only. Slackware is pretty much like Ubuntu now. Second, XP is better than Vista. Who said Vista has better security than XP? Google for Vista exploits, I haven't googled but I'll bet you more exploits were found in a short range of days for Vista than XP. But anyway, I'd pick Ubuntu over any OS. Ubuntu is awesome, as easy as it seems, it's also for "experienced" users too, which is why I love it. It has some challenges for me since I'm on Dell Inspiton 1501, it's a 64-bit laptop and Ubuntu has always been a challenge for me on 64-bit PCs/Laptops. Flash doesn't work the best on 64-bit and I'm disappointed about that. It's really Adobe's fault anyway, I think they're trying to come up with a solution for that. Whoever said applications are 'limited' on Ubuntu. Wrong. There are so many applications that are pretty much like Windows' applications and don't forget you have WINE, you'll be able to run *MOST* of Windows' applications on Ubuntu.

Overall, I'd pick Ubuntu over anything.

First, Slackware is NOT for "experienced" users only. Slackware is pretty much like Ubuntu now. Second, XP is better than Vista. Who said Vista has better security than XP? Google for Vista exploits, I haven't googled but I'll bet you more exploits were found in a short range of days for Vista than XP. But anyway, I'd pick Ubuntu over any OS. Ubuntu is awesome, as easy as it seems, it's also for "experienced" users too, which is why I love it. It has some challenges for me since I'm on Dell Inspiton 1501, it's a 64-bit laptop and Ubuntu has always been a challenge for me on 64-bit PCs/Laptops. Flash doesn't work the best on 64-bit and I'm disappointed about that. It's really Adobe's fault anyway, I think they're trying to come up with a solution for that. Whoever said applications are 'limited' on Ubuntu. Wrong. There are so many applications that are pretty much like Windows' applications and don't forget you have WINE, you'll be able to run *MOST* of Windows' applications on Ubuntu.

Overall, I'd pick Ubuntu over anything.

I didn't have problem installing and use Slax but at that time it's owner's server was down for service and updates so I couldn't download any modular softwares from Slax. Ubuntu is my main OS that I use on my basment system. It's reliable and obeys every commands I entered correctly on Terminals except RM -rf/ (No No!!!) :lol:

Try Cedgna (Enchanted Wines). It can play most "heavy graphic" Windows games. Cost $5 a month cuz of monthly updates Or Crossover which works with Windows softwares in Linux. Purchase required.

I had difficulty trying to run Riven or Myst 3 game on Wines. I'm just a Wines noob. On WinesHQ website. I tried to find info how to configure Wines to play Myst game but it provide none.. That means I have to ask around on blogs in WinesHQ.

I had same issue with Flashplayer on Ubuntu 64bit Ubuntu Feisty Fawn. It's common problem. I haven't tried Ubuntu's new Hardy Heron 64bit yet cuz my AMD64 system died before I had chance to try 64bit version. I sure hope they resolve problem with flashplayer on 64bit OS by now.

Last of all, install VMware for Linux and install Doz XP or Vista inside of it. So that you can screw 'Doz' without protections. :lol:

Catty

Back