Two Worlds (hearing & deaf)

Vamwolf

Reaction score
Tell me your experiences what it is like to have two worlds hearing and deaf if you are hard of hearing... is it frustrating, confusing, struggling and how you handle it thru school, family, friends, jobs, relationships etc..I 'd love to hear your expereinces...thanks...:D

i think this thread should move to deaf/hearing relationship thread room... because it is so fit there ....

Hey.... I have friends who were hearing in all the school years but I had deafies in my other world in school. U know I been in mainstreamed school and not speak, just be deaf. They not bother at all but some hearing would rejects me being not talk to them. I wish they understands that I am normal and being deaf. I been hang with deafies mostly til I learn about them being fool around our back or gossip... hearing ppl were not that much as deafies does. hearing would ingore unless it is very interestin to hear but deafies want to be involved and curouis very deep. I cant think any name in those list. :D

Thanks for sharing your experiences.. for me I am hard of hearing but most of time I called myself as Deaf so I grew up in mainstream schools without interpreters during that time in back early 80's that had been lousy education system in NJ.. I have been in hell struggled in school without interpreter only special tutor teacher we have there but never enough. I have been struggled with my family that all of them are hearing and dont use sign languages but they never get what I need like they have to look at me while had to read lips by talking slow so they alway forget like they are too busy with their own heads which it is full of shits like grew up in this piece of shit (family). I have been struggling with two world hearing and deaf for example at first I can talk like hearing ppl ( took speech lessons since was 18 months old till graduated from h.s. ) and know asl to communicate with deafs. So I learned that I can have both worlds whatever feel comfortable with but most of time I am very into deaf world since alway frustrated with hearing world thru family, friends and jobs due lack of communication even alway informed my need but they just seem forgetting, lazy, disrespect, or dont wanna be bothered especially alway felt left-out. Sometimes I get frustrated with deafs cuz of the level of communication skills I have that they dont have even though I alway respect them whatever their skills are cuz they were unfortunetly have been limited for what they have learned from school or family which it is sad. Sorry it is been long one lol..

i find it frustrating, confusing, and hard...you feel lost...you feel lonely...you feel left out because no one else is deaf too.

So my "world" just fit better when i'm around deaf ppl instead of deaf impaired peeps, of course but some hearing peeps can be okay unless they try their best to understand your life and shit like that...because hearings and deafness are totally different. we come from two separate worlds into one world.

hm... From my experience, both worlds can be frustrating, confusing, etc. for me... I think it is sad that some deaf people do not learn to speak English well (or write it) because they only know asl. Other times, i meet many deaf who can write and speak English very well. I find it the same way in the hearing world. There are some hearing who can't even spell or write english very well, and others that can. I have not had any trouble getting a job other than the requirements of answering a phone on the job (so i tend to avoid jobs that require the sense of hearing and go for lifeguarding or teaching). I'm working as a lifeguard for the third summer at the same state park this year (full time). I think everyone deals with confusion and frustration at some point in their life. It's part of life. We as deaf/hard of hearing are not the only ones who deal with that.

Well, my experiences about two worlds.. One was hearing that I grew up in and it was really hard for me but it was worth for me because I could even learn how to speak. But other way I hated it is because I noticed that everyone has been making fun of me while 6th grade til 8th grade. Then I finally entered 9th grade. I got a lot of hearing friends. It made me proud of it but I am still proud of being deaf!!! Then I moved to RIT, I was overwhelmed because I never been in DEAF SCHOOL before in my whole life. So it took me a lot of time to learn about deaf world. It got me interested but I am still learning hehe...

Remember this, Deaf people are in the hearing world for 365 days a year. Of course, I can related to other Deaf people's frustrations on how to deal with hearing people everyday.

I grew up in oral enivornment and I tried to get along with hearing peers, but end up bickering and insulting at each other. Of course, I had to deal with hearing feebleminded teachers as well. After HS graduation, I joined into Deaf world and learned lots from Deaf people. It is interesting to see how Deaf people speak, get involved in Deaf communities, and deal with hearing people in their everyday lives.

Umm, one thing I would like to stress you...both hearing people and Deaf people can gossip or backstab other people's backs. No difference (like what Cheler said in other thread).

Living in the hearing world where Deaf people live far away is very challenging for each Deaf individuals... everyday.

Hey LezArtist..Thanks for sharing your experiences and I really identified with your experience when moved to rit and was overwhelmed..I grew up in mainstream schools till went to ntid and was very overwhelmed there with my only limit of sign languages so took me while to learn and catch up with their asl and love it. Also it was hard even frustrating in classes with asl that I dont know very much of it especially a deaf teacher in my class that was very hard, frustrating, and struggled but made it thru it by told my limits and gave me times.

Originally posted by Vamwolf
Hey LezArtist..Thanks for sharing your experiences and I really identified with your experience when moved to rit and was overwhelmed..I grew up in mainstream schools till went to ntid and was very overwhelmed there with my only limit of sign languages so took me while to learn and catch up with their asl and love it. Also it was hard even frustrating in classes with asl that I dont know very much of it especially a deaf teacher in my class that was very hard, frustrating, and struggled but made it thru it by told my limits and gave me times.

I do understand. but good thing that you learned more and more as you grow bec everyone in the whole world can not STOP learning til they are GONE then it will stop u know :)

Originally posted by LezArtist
I do understand. but good thing that you learned more and more as you grow bec everyone in the whole world can not STOP learning til they are GONE then it will stop u know :)

Yes I agree with you that we never stopped growing till we died.

Originally posted by LezArtist
:werd:

It's great...it's tolerable...it's frustration...it's aggrvating...and so on...all depending on the situtations.

Tell me your experiences what it is like to have two worlds hearing and deaf if you are hard of hearing... is it frustrating, confusing, struggling and how you handle it thru school, family, friends, jobs, relationships etc..I 'd love to hear your expereinces...thanks...:D

Good questions.

I've experienced both worlds. I feel frustrated and left out in the hearing world most of the time. I can't say I don't like hearing world, because it's still out there, and I'm still in it. Being in hearing world also makes me feel challanged in some situation. It also makes me feel good to be able to "interpret" between the hearings and the deafs (who are unable to lipread or speak fluently). Some situations are different in the hearing world.

Deaf world is more fun for me to be in, actually, but there is one thing I don't like about the Deaf world is that it's way too small... easy to become a victim of backstabbing, gossiping, rumoring, and all that. I don't want to be part of that, but I don't know how to stay out of that while being in the Deaf world.

There are pros and cons in both worlds for me.

Re: Re: Two Worlds (hearing & deaf)

Originally posted by ChelEler

There are pros and cons in both worlds for me.

Thanks for sharing your experiences... I agreed with you that there are pros and cons in both worlds. Especailly we have to be cautious with friends, and family too that hard to be trusted in deaf or hearing worlds. Know what I mean?..

:notices the lack of moderators: :p

I got similar point of views with ChelEler...no question about it.

Re: Re: Re: Two Worlds (hearing & deaf)

Thanks for sharing your experiences... I agreed with you that there are pros and cons in both worlds. Especailly we have to be cautious with friends, and family too that hard to be trusted in deaf or hearing worlds. Know what I mean?..

Yes, I know what you mean... be very careful with who you want to be "friends" with in hearing and deaf worlds.

Originally posted by SilenceGold
:notices the lack of moderators: :p

I got similar point of views with ChelEler...no question about it.

What's up with not enough moderators in here? :confused: Don't you mean to move this thread to other forum, eh?

Back