Two things that happened this week that made me mad and really think...

Rockdrummer, imagine this:

Watching a group of people laughing and talking for 15-30 mins or so. You have no idea what they are talking about, or only catching bits and pieces.

You ask someone: What's so funny/what're they talking about?
Person: Oh we're just talking about Aunt Sally's dog. <looks away, laughs at someone's comment>
You get the person's attention again: Ah ok.. what is it about her dog?
Person: It's a very stupid dog. Very stupid.. <chuckles, turns away again>
You: Well? What makes it such a stupid dog?
Person: I'll tell you later/Never mind, it's not important/It's just stupid, no body knows <turns away YET AGAIN..>

Wash, Rinse, Repeat throughout the day with intervals of being ignored if you aren't right there asking them. Occasionally someone breaks away just to ask "How have you been?" but doesn't stick around for long..

Experience that at every family social function, with intervals of "private talks with family about understanding/communication difficulties" in between family socials, yet the above scene repeats unbroken or re-lapses after an effort to "include you".. Combine that with a very different sense of self when you are with different groups of people who speak the same language as you fluently and use it more than willingly with you(not FOR you; WITH you.). The contrast is very tangible. Then visit your family who does that nonsense, I guarantee your nerves will start to feel the effects and start to want to scream against tolerating it anymore..

It took my family many, many years of just dismissing me as "getting mad so easy" but now as an adult with my own freedom it took them until I made comments to invitations to family events like: I don't want to go. Because it's always boring for me- y'all are talking up a storm and I don't know whats going on cuz none of you will talk to me. I'm tired of asking 'what you talking about' every minute. At first they were offended but I would remind them of exact situations that had happened. Also I'd remind them right in middle of their "I'll tell you later.." the shock of realization on their faces was worth being very blunt. They finally faced it and some finally are trying to make some effort such as simply talking to me or voluntarily signing when they are talking to someone else in front of me. Reminding them of my deafness in one way or another never helped all those years until I was very blunt and forceful.

I say, you go, Shel. I understand all too well.
I totally understand what you are saying and what you did to help resolve it is exactly what I was saying to Shel. Not everybody cares to get in the face of others but sometimes that is what you have to do to get a point across. I find myself having to do that with hearing people. I am by no means trying to compare the two and I know that deaf people experience this daily whereas I maybe encounter these situations only once and a while. I am not pro or anti CI. In fact if you know my story I only have experience with CI failure. I still cant help thinking that if a CI worked for someone like you or Shel, that it would resolve the issues that you speak of here. What are your thoughts on that?

I totally understand what you are saying and what you did to help resolve it is exactly what I was saying to Shel. Not everybody cares to get in the face of others but sometimes that is what you have to do to get a point across. I find myself having to do that with hearing people. I am by no means trying to compare the two and I know that deaf people experience this daily whereas I maybe encounter these situations only once and a while.

It seems to me Shel did try to though. The thing is, after several years of the patterns not changing, you have to realize it probably is not going to change, ever. All too often when they are finally confronted about it in a serious way, the deaf person is told they are being rude, getting mad over nothing, given a sob story(but they don't change anything afterwards), it gets easy to just give up, the stresses of trying to get your point across is very stressful in itself. Why do we even need to explain it in the first place? It's not like parents are total strangers..

I am not pro or anti CI. In fact if you know my story I only have experience with CI failure. I still cant help thinking that if a CI worked for someone like you or Shel, that it would resolve the issues that you speak of here. What are your thoughts on that?

But see, that's the mentality of making the deaf person 'accommodate to his/her family'. Instead of slapping the parents silly for not making *themselves* accessible to the child, the deaf person must be 'changed'. Why not make the parents BE parents? Shel's example in the OP of parents not willing to accommodate themselves for the child is all too common. Upon the CI not working for that child, why didn't the parents learn sign language? Why continue to place the "responsiblity" on the child?

Anyways.. when I first learned of CIs, the cynic in me did think "Well, that should make it easier for the deaf kids to talk with their parents, 'cuz hell knows many parents won't make any effort on their part...."

However I fell into the trap where I assumed CIs were similar to normal hearing ability. As in slap 'em on and toss them out and they'll be hearin' n' talkin, no problemo.. Still don't know much about how well they work, seems they are not all that really & the person needs training to learn how to use it. I recently read a comment that even late deafened persons with CI need training on how to use their CIs, if true then I find that very interesting..

So that makes me think that a young kid with CI & no sign language exposure basically start out being "trained" to hear and speak.. which seems to be delaying language exposure. I'm uncomfortable with that, especially considering the potential of CI not working all that well for individuals. Must they pay for lack of early language exposure & general education, just for the sake of being able to hear and speak well? I disagree with that concept..

So.. I can't say my being implanted with CI would have made my life easier. Sure, ordering at a fast food place would be a lot easier but from the looks of it, I still would have the same problems & "battles" with family over communication issues.. Jr & high school might have been worse, if I had reasonable speaking and hearing skill for them to decide I could go at it solo at a mainstream school. I don't know. (I knew a girl who was the only deaf person throughout her schooling.. even though she could hear and speak very well- she could even use the phone.. but the horror stories she told me.. she's a full on ASL user now..)

Overall, I'm not anti CI, it's more the attitudes surrounding it that makes me sad.

p.s. I don't know of your story with CI failure btw..

Thanks Angel, Liebling, Cathartes and Opal for sharing your experiences too. :) :hug:

It seems to me Shel did try to though. The thing is, after several years of the patterns not changing, you have to realize it probably is not going to change, ever. All too often when they are finally confronted about it in a serious way, the deaf person is told they are being rude, getting mad over nothing, given a sob story(but they don't change anything afterwards), it gets easy to just give up, the stresses of trying to get your point across is very stressful in itself. Why do we even need to explain it in the first place? It's not like parents are total strangers..

But see, that's the mentality of making the deaf person 'accommodate to his/her family'. Instead of slapping the parents silly for not making *themselves* accessible to the child, the deaf person must be 'changed'. Why not make the parents BE parents? Shel's example in the OP of parents not willing to accommodate themselves for the child is all too common. Upon the CI not working for that child, why didn't the parents learn sign language? Why continue to place the "responsiblity" on the child?

Anyways.. when I first learned of CIs, the cynic in me did think "Well, that should make it easier for the deaf kids to talk with their parents, 'cuz hell knows many parents won't make any effort on their part...."

However I fell into the trap where I assumed CIs were similar to normal hearing ability. As in slap 'em on and toss them out and they'll be hearin' n' talkin, no problemo.. Still don't know much about how well they work, seems they are not all that really & the person needs training to learn how to use it. I recently read a comment that even late deafened persons with CI need training on how to use their CIs, if true then I find that very interesting..

So that makes me think that a young kid with CI & no sign language exposure basically start out being "trained" to hear and speak.. which seems to be delaying language exposure. I'm uncomfortable with that, especially considering the potential of CI not working all that well for individuals. Must they pay for lack of early language exposure & general education, just for the sake of being able to hear and speak well? I disagree with that concept..

So.. I can't say my being implanted with CI would have made my life easier. Sure, ordering at a fast food place would be a lot easier but from the looks of it, I still would have the same problems & "battles" with family over communication issues.. Jr & high school might have been worse, if I had reasonable speaking and hearing skill for them to decide I could go at it solo at a mainstream school. I don't know. (I knew a girl who was the only deaf person throughout her schooling.. even though she could hear and speak very well- she could even use the phone.. but the horror stories she told me.. she's a full on ASL user now..)

Overall, I'm not anti CI, it's more the attitudes surrounding it that makes me sad.

p.s. I don't know of your story with CI failure btw..
cathartes, I totally get the family thing. They should accomidate their family members especially when they have been made aware of the issues. I also understand that is not always gonna happen and I don't blame anyone for not wanting to be in that situation. My point is that there are so many more situations in life where effective communication is needed outside the family settings. And for the record, I don't believe that the CI is an instant cure to deafness and that it mimics natural hearing. But I do belive that in many cases (as evidenced by others on this board) it bridges the gap that is the cause of frustration and anxiety for many deaf chidren and adults. I guess the question to someone faced with the decision is; what are my chances for success? If I was told that there is only a 10% chance of success then I would probably opt against it. If that percentage of success reached or exceeded 50% then I may consider it. You bring up valid points regarding children that after years of theropy and programming have no marked success. And yes, it's a shame they were not exposed to sign language at the same time. A point that Shel made in an earlier post that I hadn't considered and now completly agree with. My post here should shed some light on my experience with the failed CI.

I can understand how everyone feels about being left out with their family. I had the exact same problems with mine.

One good example I have is whenever I'm in a restraunt with my mom and my sister. Since I grew up oral and never used sign language much until high school, I was used to talking and lipreading. despite being deaf since age 4. Whenever my family was talking.. I would have my mom and sister sit across from me so I could lipread them.. but often both of them would talk fast.. I'd tell them to slow down or look at me.. Usually My sister would tell me everything, since I understand her best of everyone in the family. Mainly cuz i was with her more than anybody else.

It can be hard living with a hearing family or having hearing family members not understand.. but for me, the best way to deal with it was either be blunt and say.. HI, Deaf here, Remember? Now will you please explain what is going on? I'm not a mind reader, ya know?

They usually got the point. But for the most part, it often takes a good talking to to get them to change. My sister actually has said once or twice to my face that she felt bad she never learned to sign. I've been helping her learn. and i'm lucky that my boyfriend is learning to sign.

Some families just don't wanna learn or don't want to leave their children's development behind, so they assume that not learning sign language will help the child be more oral. even though the child may know sign language.

IT's not an excuse.. it's the hearing parents of deaf children's frame of mind. Hey, I asked my mother.. she raised me... Yeah it's sad.. but true.

I'm glad I'm not ALONE!

Mostly 99% left me out everyday when I was raised Adopt family and around yak yak all the time.. I tend try to ask them , can you repeat pretty please what r u saying again ? I'm tired of hearing "I'll tell you later" or "Never mind", Or "Not important". Making me sick of it..

Family Dinner: I'm eating fast then leave the family table because they don't like me leave early.. I did talk back at them, you're total left me out everyday... Good Bye! Until I turned 16 yrs old and escape out of my family's complex. I bought some of my friends into my home and seeing my parent say, Why your friends are here? Not supposed belong here... Get out! I was so furious angry at them and unhappy living out there.
I left their doormats property and gone on my own life happier living independent! Hate being around my parent always tell me what do... "Do your work chores almost everyday" Really tick me off! ((LONGEST STORY RELATED ABUSED))

When I saw my mother at her work and hang around w/my friends.. I can see My mother felt bad and knew I'm right but too late.. Key is... communication structure!

Until I have not seen My Adopt family ever since after I married..
I bet they are felt guilty because saw beautiful wedding ever seen full of Deaf people and Hearing people are enjoy watching our wedding SIGN LANGUAGES everything 100%

Until I met my birth mother, Totally happy but can feel about left out. As far, My birth mother isn't fault because not knowing about Deaf Culture and try their best to get me know more better... I'm not worry anyway... I still love my birth mom.

Hey She90.. This is an awesome vent, for family and for you. I glad to have you here.

now sometime when i come over to my family for holidays.My family has no idea where i am or how i am doing. I just watch tv like this. I saw family talk about me i act like a mouse. My siblings started learning sign language books than i expect. Somehow they ended up signing with me because i am only deaf in family. My siblings almost forgot signing but in general they are fine.. One thing i cant blame my parents and i respect them work hard to support us..

Back