TTY services for Blackberry 8900

Seagirl

Reaction score
I have a friend who has a Blackberry 8900 and she wants to be able to use the TTY service to contact me on my TTY line, but she doesn't know how it works. If anyone can give me some advice for her I would appreciate it.

I quited TTY device at home. I stick with texting to any cellphones. But, if your hearing friend can call relay service can communication to your TTY line.

I found old thread about this

Ultratec Compact/C TTY, is my choice. It includes an adaptor that connects to your BlackBerry, and as long as you enable Phone->Options->TTY on your BlackBerry.

Another option is to use Lormar Logic, and call a TTY directly with your BlackBerry. There are also PC-based "TTY-over-Internet" products (I think Nxi communications or Nextalk or something), so if you use a BlackBerry as a modem for laptop, it's also possible to call a TTY that way. But some of these services are pay-services, although two years of such paid TTY service (directly on BlackBerry or laptop) might be cheaper than the cost of a TTY.

Last edited:
There is no "app" or software program for phones that allows someone to call you via TTY. They would have to call you on the phone via the relay service to your home TTY.

The TTY function on cell phone allows a TTY user with a portable TTY to directly connect to the Cell via a cable and dial out via the cell keypad. Once they connect they are able to type into the portable TTY for the conversation, then hang up the cell when done.

The "TTY function" on ALL cell phones regardless of brand, model etc is NOT a built-in-TTY. (even if the person at the cell company says it is ... they just don't know what they're talking about & want to sell you a phone!)

Here's two links to portable TTYs that works with a TTY enabled cell phone:
Ultratec Portable TTY with Cell phone adaptor cable
Ameriphone Q90D TTY

This is a pic from United TTY showing how to connect a portable TTY to TTY capable cell phone (including BBs)
CompactCellTTY.jpg

Back