true perception of the hearing world?

true true, if you aren't told you can't. But body language and facial expressions are a way to tell you. Funny we don't want to be rude by telling you, "hey cut that crap out!" but we will give a dirty look which is just as rude! LOL people are funny!

Ok I am getting the message from facial expressions and body language but what noise am I making? My feet tapping, my voice, or what? That is why I got that attitude. Maybe it is wrong of me but I cant help it.

However, for the Deaf Culture to have been recognized at all, it was necessary for researchers to prove the linguistic base.

I agree about Deaf culture and its basis in ASL. However, there are unarguably other cultures that don't have a linguistic base, so the generalization about all cultures requiring a distinct language is problematic.

Ok I am getting the message from facial expressions and body language but what noise am I making? My feet tapping, my voice, or what? That is why I got that attitude. Maybe it is wrong of me but I cant help it.

oh girl it could be anything tapping feet, voice, putting glass down to hard. Hearing know this automatically yet some still do it. We have to tell a person not to make noise cause sometimes you don't realize you are making noise. Sometimes the noise you make is no prob for you but is for other people. Like i crack my nuckles and wrists and elbows and knees and feet and finish with my neck. That annoys some people. Some people could not care less. Some people really upset when i do that. It is really a personal think what annoys one person is fine to another. With me music makes me mad and gives me a headache in the morning. Afternoon i love it. everyone is differnt.

Heres an example. I recently took a class related to work. I didnt shave one day. I was rubbing my finger (taped due to an injury) across the mustache stubble. I didnt even realize it was making any noise when a lady behind me said "excuse me, do you mind. That is very annoying". It apparently bugged the hell out of her, and I didnt even realize that I was making any noise.

oh girl it could be anything tapping feet, voice, putting glass down to hard. Hearing know this automatically yet some still do it. We have to tell a person not to make noise cause sometimes you don't realize you are making noise. Sometimes the noise you make is no prob for you but is for other people. Like i crack my nuckles and wrists and elbows and knees and feet and finish with my neck. That annoys some people. Some people could not care less. Some people really upset when i do that. It is really a personal think what annoys one person is fine to another. With me music makes me mad and gives me a headache in the morning. Afternoon i love it. everyone is differnt.

I realize that what I do can make noises but I cant tell if it is too loud or what it is that I am doing is making those annoying noises. I just would like people to tell me instead of making faces at me and expect me to recognize the source of noise on my own. I cant do it unless it is so obvious like screaming or banging on the table. LOL!

I realize that what I do can make noises but I cant tell if it is too loud or what it is that I am doing is making those annoying noises. I just would like people to tell me instead of making faces at me and expect me to recognize the source of noise on my own. I cant do it unless it is so obvious like screaming or banging on the table. LOL!

Understood. One of the most often used expressions with my son has been, "Too loud!" Could be his voice, could be chewing, could be stomping up stairs, could be closing the door! Doesn't matter. He doesn't know when he's loud with anything and must be told. Just to look annoyed doesn't give him the info he needs. Knows I'm annoyed, but about what he hasn't a clue!

That was un call for. :ugh: I've seen some deafness here had face a lot of conflicts in their years of growing up, You gotten walk the mile in their shoes to understand why they feel the way they are. You know the dividing people who are deaf and hearing, the lack of communication. They feel that hearing people should learn their language which that is ASL, an easy way to communicate. Maybe they would feel more comfortable out in the world with other people. There is nothing wrong with how they feel, I don't see why you have to be so ignorant about it.
Hi Cheri, You know it's funny that many people use the word ignorance out of context. And its just as interesting how many people take the word ignorance out of context. Ignorance by definition is not a bad thing. I just means that you lack knowledge or training in a given subject. None of us can claim that we know everything about everything. Therefore we are all ignorant about some things. That's o.k.

I think what it boils down to is this: Each and every one of us is a part of culture, be it hearing or deaf. In any other culture (Hispanic, Caucasian, African American, Asian...etc, etc...), we don't understand anything but our own. Rather than holding contempt for those who don't understand us, we should EMBRACE others for attempting to learn about us and our culture. I am hard of hearing...so this is such a gray area. I can hear, yes...but not well. Does this make me deaf, hell no! But in any case, I am willing to learn, willing to EMBRACE those who can help me hear better, and those who don't hear well at all that can teach me ASL and be better/more proficient at it! :)

Back