True ASL dictionaries

Reaction score
Are there any true ASL dictionaries out there? I don't want any of that SEE stuff that I seem to be finding in my RHW dictionary because obviously it will only inhibit me from learning ASL. Any opinions on The American Sign Language Handshape Dictionary? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Gallaudet publishes a dictionary that is HUGE but good. iASL app for iPhone, iTunes is good as well.

Just remember, in some areas a sign might be viewed as strictly SEE and in others it is acceptable ASL. Also, there are some signs which started in SEE and are now pretty much accepted as ASL - for example "divorce". The sign with two D-handshapes touching and then separating was once a SEE sign, but now is accepted in ASL. The old sign was with the hands together like in "married" and then pulled apart.

I have the one Gallaudet puts out and it's wonderful. I also have some for religious, legal, and medical and I think they're all Webster dictionaries, but I really like those as well.

I have the one Gallaudet puts out and it's wonderful. I also have some for religious, legal, and medical and I think they're all Webster dictionaries, but I really like those as well.

wow you have lots of book? wow where is find book? I need wish!

I bought the big ASL dictionary at my college. I bought all the other ones on Barnes and Noble online. They're very reasonably priced :)

Thanks for all the comments guys. And that link is very helpful.

Just remember, in some areas a sign might be viewed as strictly SEE and in others it is acceptable ASL. Also, there are some signs which started in SEE and are now pretty much accepted as ASL - for example "divorce". The sign with two D-handshapes touching and then separating was once a SEE sign, but now is accepted in ASL. The old sign was with the hands together like in "married" and then pulled apart.

Seems highly unnecessary...

Code:
Seems highly unnecessary...

And what exactly do you mean?

The old sign for divorce seemed sufficient enough, that's all *runs and hides*

I still see it both ways. I learned with the d's but if you're paying attention to your context, the old way is perfectly understandable.

I guess you need to re-read the post. Nowhere did it say either sign is wrong. It explained how a SEE sign is now accepted as ASL. ASL is evolving.

To me, an ideal ASL dictionaey would on the internet and/or a DVD. It would not only have word-to-sign alphabetical entries but also hand shape-to-word entriess. Each sign entry would include not just the basic sign form but also demonstrate the sign in various usage forms. That is, verb signs would include demonstrations of directionality, tenses, durations, and frequency. Noun signs would include appropriate corresponding classifiers. As appropriate, signs would include non-manual markers and facial grammar. Regional variations should be included. A section on idioms would be cool.

That's what I would like. :)

I have several books and websites that cover some of those things but not all in one resource.

To me, an ideal ASL dictionaey would on the internet and/or a DVD. It would not only have word-to-sign alphabetical entries but also hand shape-to-word entriess. Each sign entry would include not just the basic sign form but also demonstrate the sign in various usage forms. That is, verb signs would include demonstrations of directionality, tenses, durations, and frequency. Noun signs would include appropriate corresponding classifiers. As appropriate, signs would include non-manual markers and facial grammar. Regional variations should be included. A section on idioms would be cool.

That's what I would like. :)

I have several books and websites that cover some of those things but not all in one resource.

If you have time, would you mind making a small list of some of your favorite books and sites? I am learning in class with my husband and trying to teach my children at home and I've been looking for resources to use like the OP has.

I see a lot of SEE signs being accepted and older ASL signs branded as "Not true ASL". I follow the rule, "Do what the people around me do."

I love Harris Communications - products for deaf, hard of hearing, hearing impaired, hearing loss, and sign language. Harris Communications - Vibrating Alarm Clocks, Loud Telephones and Signalers it is where I bought my favorite DVD dictionary: National Technical Institute for the Deaf "American Sign Language Video Dictionary and Inflection Guide." It runs about $50.

I also like Lifeprint.com with its fingerspelling and number practices.

I see a lot of SEE signs being accepted and older ASL signs branded as "Not true ASL". I follow the rule, "Do what the people around me do."

I love Harris Communications - products for deaf, hard of hearing, hearing impaired, hearing loss, and sign language. Harris Communications - Vibrating Alarm Clocks, Loud Telephones and Signalers it is where I bought my favorite DVD dictionary: National Technical Institute for the Deaf "American Sign Language Video Dictionary and Inflection Guide." It runs about $50.

I also like Lifeprint.com with its fingerspelling and number practices.

Hi Berry! I thought you died or something.

No, just very busy.. Finally got my birth certificate but there are other problems.. Like my social security files don't include a lot of my earnings.

All I want to do is retire.

Glad to see you still here.

Back