Tropical storm Irene approaches

The water goes out:

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

And the water comes in:

This is why it's never a good thing when the water goes out.

This is maybe 1/2 mile or so down the road from our house. We left my little Nissan 350Z red roadster at the house, under the carport. I'm very worried that it's been flooded, although we are on slightly higher ground than these pics.

My poor l'il car - that was my mid-life crisis present to myself a few years ago. No point having a mid-life crisis if you don't get a red convertible out of it. And now... I don't know if it's still standing or covered with water.

Ah - it's possible those links won't work. If you are on Facebook, do a search for "Oregon Inlet Idiots" and look at the most recent pictures. Water going out of the sound shows two piers still standing. Water coming back into the sound - piers are destroyed.

My son was sooo paranoid abut the storm so I got our windbreakers on and took him out on a stroll up and down the neighborhood with the rain squalls coming down. Eventually, he loooved it so much especially watching the rains change directions. We both got soo soaked despite wearing our windbreakers. He wanted to go again so we went again but a strong gust kicked up so we went running back to the house laughing. Now, he is all happy and not stressed out anymore. I think he had been through enough fears with the earthquake and then the hurricane so I tried to make it fun for him. He seems a lot better now. I had to change clothes since I was soaked ...lol. The things we do for our kids! However, I gotta admit, I did have fun running up and down the block getting all wet. Felt like a kid again. :)

I live in Newburyport Ma if you mean me. it right on the coast line. But I do not live right next to the ocean. People living on Plum Island may have hard time getting of it if the road flooded out! There is on is only one road to get on off Plum Island, so people will have to be careful about waiting too long to leave.

Oh boy, my house is in Cape Cod. I wish that our U.S Military just shoot some kind of a missile at Irene now before it hits our home. :(
I am sure that we have a modern technology, and they didn't want to do it.

Good job of relieving his anxiety! :D

he was contantly questioning us all evening about what if what if what if what if...

well, yes there are many what ifs so I needed to do something to keep his mind off.

All those what ifs he asked COULD happen (one for the house blowing away) but as adults, we understand the strength it takes to do that and we knew this hurricane didnt have it. For my 5 year old, he had no concept so it was frightening for him to hear the howling winds.

I text girlfriend in North Carolina and she and family make it through safe. Have not hear text from girlfriends in Cape Cod or New Jersey. <nervous>

The water goes out:

And the water comes in:

This is why it's never a good thing when the water goes out.

This is maybe 1/2 mile or so down the road from our house. We left my little Nissan 350Z red roadster at the house, under the carport. I'm very worried that it's been flooded, although we are on slightly higher ground than these pics.

My poor l'il car - that was my mid-life crisis present to myself a few years ago. No point having a mid-life crisis if you don't get a red convertible out of it. And now... I don't know if it's still standing or covered with water.

Ah - it's possible those links won't work. If you are on Facebook, do a search for "Oregon Inlet Idiots" and look at the most recent pictures. Water going out of the sound shows two piers still standing. Water coming back into the sound - piers are destroyed.
I hope your car will be OK.

to the New Yorkers and people of New Jersey, pls dont do anything stupid or risky....here in Baltimore, the weather is now very very brutal and we are NOT in the direct path of the eye. It is not funny business out there now and I can only imagine what it is like near the eyewall. Pls pls take this seriously. I opened my storm door to get out on the front porch and it was nearly ripped off. I had to hold onto it literally to keep it from flying off. And they say the worst of it hasnt it us yet...

I was shocked by the strength of it and how fast it deteriorated out there since an hour ago. Power keeps going on and off.

Oh boy, my house is in Cape Cod. I wish that our U.S Military just shoot some kind of a missile at Irene now before it hits our home. :(
I am sure that we have a modern technology, and they didn't want to do it.

No, we don't. You have to consider the safety of all involved. Shooting a missle at anything could have wide ranging consequences.

just got home from Hurricane Riding. My friend and I rode into NYC to explore around for a couple hours and then came back home. My hearing friend told me that right out of Lincoln Tunnel into NJ, the cop was behind us and he said via loudspeaker - "Really guys???? Go home studs!"

It was pouring like mad. And yes I've got it all in video... but I don't know how it'll come out. I have to upload it to my computer first and then view it. It'll take a while since video will be very large.

I told my friend - since this is our first hurricane of the year.... let's ride in every hurricane this year :)

You mean you did the above on a motorcycle?

He said it was pouring like mad.....
yep. that's why we got the dodge outta there.

to the New Yorkers and people of New Jersey, pls dont do anything stupid or risky....here in Baltimore, the weather is now very very brutal and we are NOT in the direct path of the eye. It is not funny business out there now and I can only imagine what it is like near the eyewall. Pls pls take this seriously. I opened my storm door to get out on the front porch and it was nearly ripped off. I had to hold onto it literally to keep it from flying off. And they say the worst of it hasnt it us yet...

I was shocked by the strength of it and how fast it deteriorated out there since an hour ago. Power keeps going on and off.
we started riding at around 6:30pm and I can tell from doppler radar and weather condition that we got few hours to kill. At that time, the weather condition was within safe parameter. I ain't insane enough to ride in middle of hurricane because the wind can be strong enough to knock me off the bike or there would be a fallen tree.

so far... it's still raining like normal and the wind speed is around 12mph. The worst will probably come tomorrow morning. I think it will hit Boston on Monday.

Back