Translating a song from English to TRUE Asl.

Translating/interpreting a song isn't the same as conversing in another language. It's not going to help someone put her own thoughts into sign during a live conversation.

The first levels of ASL learning should be language acquisition, not interpreting. Interpreting is a whole different skill set. In the interpreting world, song interpretation is a skill by itself that requires specialized training beyond the usual ITP. Not every interpreter, even those who are certified, is able to do song/theatrical interpreting. It's certainly not something for beginning sign students to tackle.

Ironically, in church interpreting, most beginners start with song interpretation. That's really something that should be learned later. I think the reason it's done that way is because songs can be prepared ahead of time and practiced. If someone more skilled has prepared the text and teaches it to the newbie, that's a little different. Frozen text presentation is not the same as interpreting.

My two cents. :)
Yes, but the purpose of the song isn't to create good interpreting or translating skills.

It's just a way for hearing ASL students to practice faster word recall, and for the to demonstrate/record what they know so far so that the instructor can decide what to instruct the students on next.

I'm definitely not saying glossing a song is the best or only way to learn ASL, but I'm saying that songs help language learners be aware of how slow they are at recalling words.

Yes, but the purpose of the song isn't to create good interpreting or translating skills.

It's just a way for hearing ASL students to practice faster word recall, and for the to demonstrate/record what they know so far so that the instructor can decide what to instruct the students on next.
I don't see how it helps them practice faster word/sign recall since they have time to research and rehearse the song before they perform it. They aren't doing these songs on the fly, are they?

Also, how would this help deaf ASL students learn?

I'm definitely not saying glossing a song is the best or only way to learn ASL, but I'm saying that songs help language learners be aware of how slow they are at recalling words.
:giggle: You don't think beginning ASL students are aware of how slow they are without glossing songs.

Most beginning signers are painfully aware of their own slowness.

If that was the case, then students would be much better off signing a story in time to a video - ie a video of the 3 little pigs, on "mute" and the student signs the story in time with the video.

I know dozens of Deaf ASL teachers, none have them have ever used song to improve speed (which it actually doesn't do anyway).
They do however use culturally appropriate skills to improve speed and accuracy.

I don't see how it helps them practice faster word/sign recall since they have time to research and rehearse the song before they perform it. They aren't doing these songs on the fly, are they?

Also, how would this help deaf ASL students learn?

:giggle: You don't think beginning ASL students are aware of how slow they are without glossing songs.

Most beginning signers are painfully aware of their own slowness.

Yes, I am. :( And I'm going into Step 5 in a few weeks. Of course, it's my fault because I don't practice enough.

Personally I think converting songs into ASL (or watching a well done ASL song or poem) is an interesting and fun challenge for hearing students in an ASL class. It reinforces the idea of ASL being a visual language, the flow of signs, stylized fingerspelling and the use of idioms.

Personally I think converting songs into ASL (or watching a well done ASL song or poem) is an interesting and fun challenge for hearing students in an ASL class. It reinforces the idea of ASL being a visual language, the flow of signs, stylized fingerspelling and the use of idioms.
What about the deaf ASL students? Is it an interesting and fun challenge for them?

Watching songs that are well-done in ASL is fine, as long as it's with the volume off.

What about the deaf ASL students? Is it an interesting and fun challenge for them?

Watching songs that are well-done in ASL is fine, as long as it's with the volume off.

A deaf student would have to answer that question, I can only give my opinion as a hearing previous student.

A deaf student would have to answer that question, I can only give my opinion as a hearing previous student.

I will answer/ What a stupid idea!

Thank God I have only ever had deaf teachers of sign language...

I will answer/ What a stupid idea!

Thank God I have only ever had deaf teachers of sign language...

Both of my teachers were also deaf and am also thankful. I cannot imagine learning such a complex language and culture from someone who was not experienced with, and immersed in it, themselves.

As a Deaf person...a sign song does not interest me. music just not my thing. Its so foreign . I cannot relate to music in any way. Why do ASL students need a song to learn ASL better. If it to increase speed....use flashcards. When we Deaf were lil tiny babies, we not hear music to practic with. We do fine now. . If you really want learn sign like Deaf....sign stories...get in the story....become the charcters , its awesome....but i personally dont know any Deaf that enjoy signed music. I know HOH people that like some of it....and im sure there are lots and lots of Deaf that love sign music...i just never met them.

@Ciera2005 Stephen Torrence, or as you know him, CaptainValor, does NOT sign in ASL. He does not know enough sign to hold a conversation with a Deaf individual and he is NOT involved in the Deaf Community. It is obvious in the way he presents his YouTube account and his videos. What he is doing is a "hobby". He has said it himself. That being said, signing songs is not the best way to learn ASL. Just because you can sign a song, does not mean that you are fluent or well-versed in ASL. They are two very different things.

As someone who signs songs on YouTube, for my practice and entertainment and improvement, as well as for my many Deaf/hoh friends, it should be something done AFTER ASL is learned properly. My opinion is the best way to learn is through the Deaf Community directly. It is their language and culture and the best way to learn is through immersion. :) Get involved! :)

Hello all- Deafgam, you mentioned Deaf Coffee Chat Night at Starbucks being a good place to be exposed to ASL. I wanted to ask your opinion on that subject- if a hearing ASL student like me (very much a beginner) was to attend one of these nights, would they be tolerated well? I only ask because I agree that exposure to Deaf culture and those who ASL is native to would be be the most effective way to become proficient (or at least functional) in the language and aware of the culture. However, for someone who is part of the deaf culture, conversing with me would probably be like trying to discuss rocket science with a 4 year old. (If I attempted to sign this paragraph to you, you would fall asleep waiting for me to finish!) I want to get it right, but not by offending the very people I am trying to learn to communicate with. So, I guess my very long winded question is, woud I be a nuisance or would people be comfortable with my presence?

Keep your initial conversations short and sweet. Introduce yourself, then answer the questions that come about your interest in ASL, where you learning it, who your teacher is, where you are from/born, how old you are, are you married, where do you work, etc. Maybe have a couple of interesting facts about yourself that you can share (your dog, a sport team, a special skill, favorite restaurant).

The others realize your limitations as a student, and they aren't going to drag you into a conversation about rocket science. :lol:

Just remember you are a guest and follow their lead.

Well... rain down hellfire upon me and call me an audist (or oralist or whatever term you would use in this case), but I think.. that's a neat idea. I like music, and I would like to see this student try to sign along with it. However, I think she needs to have a better understanding of ASL before she attempts the song.

Back