Trainman at this station

I like this one going back in time.''But look at all the smoke :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh5wvNwa57U]The Golden Age of Steam Trains Part: 01 - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy

Did you know about closed caption and what else it does?

Wonderfull

Closed Captioning: Not Just for the Hearing Impaired

Closed captioned television officially became available in March 1980, but in 1971 PBS offered the first captioned program when it open captioned Julia Child’s The French Chef. Two years later, The ABC News began a PBS open captioned rebroadcast five hours after the original air time. The first closed captioned television programs began on March 16, 1980 with The ABC Sunday Night Movie, The Wonderful World of Disney, and Masterpiece Theatre. Real-time captioning began in 1982, and today there are more than 14,000 hours of captioned programming each year. The Television Decoder Circuitry Act of 1990 mandated that all television sets larger than thirteen inches produced after 1993 must contain caption-decoding technology. So the television set in your classroom is most likely caption-friendly; you just need to turn it on!

Who is using closed captioning? General population numbers suggest that it’s a lot more than you may think. In addition to the 28 to 32 million Americans who are deaf or hard-of-hearing, there are the 30 million Americans who are learning English as a second language and as many as 45 million children and adults who are learning to read! Clearly, closed captions have the capacity to impact a lot of lives, particularly when added to educational programming. Over the years, PBS has been a leader in both educational programming and closed captioning. At Colonial Williamsburg, we continue that tradition by closed captioning all of our videos and live television broadcasts.

How can you take best advantage of closed captioning in your classroom? Here is our Top Ten list:

Improve reading vocabulary for early and struggling readers who have a larger speaking than reading vocabulary. Mute the volume and enable closed captioning.
Enable closed captioning on a content video. Have students write down key vocabulary words and then discuss their definitions. Develop a Video Vocabulary Notebook for each content area.
Mute the volume and challenge all readers to improve their speed and fluency by reading the captions. Then, assess students’ content comprehension.
Select a segment from a content-rich program that fits a current area of study. Mute the volume and ask students to write captions describing the action taking place in the program. Enable closed captioning, then replay the segment and have students compare their captions with the closed captions.
If your video source includes foreign language closed captions, use them to help students read along in the foreign language while listening in English.
Select a foreign language content video with foreign language captioning to help students connect the spoken language with the written words.
For ESL students, enable the English closed captioning so students can connect the written form of the language with the verbal form to promote expression, verbal phrasing, and pronunciation.
Select a film based on a piece of children’s literature (e.g. Castles by David Macaulay, The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats, or Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson) and have students compare the printed text with the closed captioning, note how the language was modified to fit the medium, and assess its effectiveness.
Select a content video and have students list the important parts of speech that influence the story. For example, making a list of adjectives that describe the main character, or looking for connections to character and plot development.
Select a short video and have students enhance their listening skills by write real-time closed captions. Provide assistance as needed by using the “pause” control on your VCR.

Has anyone had this done for hearing?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykjikrz8BPo]The RONDO cochlear implant from MED-EL | 2D | INT - YouTube[/ame]

Please let me know .

it is enjoy :P thanskgiving to today Canandian cheer! :aw: All Canadian is very holiday cheer! exciting to no holiday :P I had eating to good loving to thanskgiving, but no family :( it is pretty my mom is very pass away then I have family busy no times pretty it's good! :) it is okay. I don't mind it is okay I have especially for me good news!

OMG!!! I have never ever heard of closed captions. Please .. tell us more about them trainman.

Hello and welcome to the trainmans site :)

Steinhauer I guess you do not use CC? You have to get use to it.

Closed Caption is a CC on most movies and Computer and TV.

Most tv have it now, writing on the screen I use it with no sound :)

This will explain it to you.
Closed captions are a text version of the spoken part of a television, movie, or computer presentation. Closed captioning was developed to aid hearing-impaired people, but it's useful for a variety of situations. For example, captions can be read when audio can't be heard, either because of a noisy environment, such as an airport, or because of an environment that must be kept quiet, such as a hospital.

Closed captioning information is encoded within the video signal, in line 21 of the vertical blanking interval ( VBI ). The text only becomes visible with the use of a decoder, which may be built into a television set or available as a set-top box . In general, an onscreen menu on newer televisions allows you to turn closed captioning on or off. Open captions, in contrast, are an integral part of a transmission that cannot be turned off by the viewer.

Most programs are captioned in advance of transmission, but the nature of some programs, such as live news broadcasts, requires real time captioning. For real time captioning, a stenographer listens to the broadcast and types a shorthand version into a program that converts the shorthand into captions and adds that data to the television signal.

According to the Television Decoder Circuitry Act of 1990, all televisions made in the United States since 1993 must have a built-in caption decoder if their picture tubes are larger than 13 inches. In July 2000, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) mandated sections of industry standard EIA-708-B, "Digital Television ( DTV ) Closed Captioning" into its broadcast regulations. The new rules will make it possible for users to select the size, color, and font of their captions and to select among multiple streams, choosing, for example, a particular language.

Not all carry CC in old movies, if you buy video at store make sure and look for the CC on it.

Trainman

Always nice to see Veterans at this station.:wave:

I wrote about veterans and who they are>

What is a Veteran?

By trainman:
Some veterans bear visible signs of certain service.
A missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in their eye.
Others may carry the evidence inside them a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in a leg or perhaps another sort of inner steel.
The souls ally forged in the refinery of adversity.
Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept Canada safe wear no badge or emblem. You can’t tell a veteran just by looking.
What is a veteran?
He is the soldier who spent a year or two in a faraway country. Are they the average men and women who stand for freedom?
Are they the nurses and doctors who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for years in a war?
Are they the POW who went away one person and came back another or did not come back at all?
Are they drill instructors who have never seen combat but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy men and women into a fighting force and to help them watch out for each other?
Are they the parade riding Legionnaire who pins on medals and ribbons with a prosthetic hand? Are they the ones you do not see working in groceries stores or in a factory or a bus driver that has served in a war or peacekeeping for freedom of people?
They are ordinary and yet extraordinary human beings, persons who offered some of the most vital years of their lives in service to their country and who sacrificed ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.
So just remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say
“Thank You”. That’s all most people need and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.
Let us remember all personal in the service that stand guard and are there for our Freedom.
That is a veteran.
Let us remember freedom is not free
God less you veterans around the World for our Freedom.

Psssstttt....Trainman...it's obvious that you haven't read the Threads here at AD....and I suggest that you do!...We are not a bunch of imbecible's here...or idiots....Don't mean to be rude...but posting about CC's..??...and CI's ??...Perhaps sticking with what you know best....Trains?.....

I know that sweetheart

Hello Rochinroll

I know that but I was asked a question and answered it ok?

You must be very young about 25 ?

You were never a veteran I see.

I live in Canada were that never happins Love.

:naughty:

PS: I know a lot of things as I am a Public Relations man for people.

Also a news editor.

Opps Sorry if I offended anyone too.

A veteran as well.

Trainman

:giggle: Steinhauer was obviously being sarcastic.. we ALL know what CC are.

You seem like a very nice person Mr. Trainman. My grandpa loves, loves, loves trains and he is a Veteran too. He was an electrical engineer in the USAF. He has a very large train set in his basement, and when I go to visit him, he will often be in a pair of overalls and wear an engineer's cap. He certainly looks like a train engineer.

I am curious, you said that you were a newspaper editor, which publication?

Thank you for participating in this forum.

I wrote for many papers and clubs helping people of all ages

I enjoy helping all ages of adults. I am deaf , have been for some time, I like to bring some fun and laughter to people and education.

I kind of figured about the CC ,but you know some people do not know about CC
in the real World that are hearing impaired as I like to call it.

I have worked with people who do not understand what it is like to being hearing impaired and have taught some seniors and youth all about it with all the items there are to help them.

I do know on this web site a lot do know all about hearing loss but you have to be careful of the new ones who have just joined this web site who really joined to have friends to talk to and discuss many things.

This web site is a great web suite for that, but it is minded bottling for some who do not know anyone.

I have been the editor of many newspapers and clubs in Canada.

I have interviewed many hockey players who are with the NHL now or coaching same as famous people.

But I would like on my trainman station many things of interest if I may
Not only trains in which I love but other things.

I am not old or young just matured . You can read all what I have to give free too :) or I can just forget about this web site and find another.

Its up to the readers :dunno:

I do read some of the other things on this web suite too.

:cool2:

trainman

Back