Toddler's Temper Ousts Family From Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I subscribe to Dr. Mercola's newsletter and I noticed this morning's newsletter has an article and that at the study's end, the average crying times of the probiotic group had decreased by about 75 percent, compared to only 26 percent for the control group. :

How to Tame a Colicky Baby

A daily dose of the probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri can improve the symptoms of infantile colic. In a new study, 83 infants were given either the probiotic or the pharmaceutical control simethicone (a commonly used colic medication, also called Mylanta) for a period of one month.

At the study's end, the average crying times of the probiotic group had decreased by about 75 percent, compared to only 26 percent for the control group.

A daily dose of 108 colony-forming units (CFU) of L. reuteri was given to the infants in the probiotic group 30 minutes after feeding. Mothers were asked to follow a diet free of cow's milk.

The average crying times of the infants in this group decreased by 21 percent, from 197 to 159 minutes per day, after only one week of treatment. The crying time of the control group decreased by only 10 percent, to 177 minutes per day, in the same period.

At the end of the full month, the average crying times of the probiotic group had decreased to 51 minutes per day, while crying times for the control group had only decreased to 145 minutes per day. No adverse effects were reported by the mothers.

Infantile colic is one of the most common problems reported during the first three months of an infant's life; it affects more than a quarter of all newborns. It is characterized by excessive and inconsolable crying, with no identifiable cause.

Pediatrics January 2007; 119(1): 124-130

Nutra Ingredients USA.com January 10, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

There are probably few things more worrisome to mothers, both young and old, than a crying, colicky baby. Like most medical problems it is nearly always best to treat the problem at the source. If a baby is crying with colon spasms it is typically related to the foods the child is being fed.

Ideally, the infant should be breast fed. But even breast-fed infants can have colic. In my experience it is typically related to foods the mother is consuming and most of the time it is due to pasteurized milk and/or wheat. So removing those from the breast-feeding mother's diet frequently is enough to do the trick.

Another leading cause of colic is chronic over feeding. When food becomes the primary means of comforting a fussy baby, it provides a temporary solution but often creates more problems. The baby's digestive system is not allowed sufficient time between feedings (about three hours) to digest properly. I have heard tremendous success stories from mothers who go against the typical feed/sleep cycle and instead will feed their baby then allow some time awake – not typically nursing them to sleep. These babies tend to have a very pleasant demeanor and are very skilled at taking long naps and sleeping straight through the night.

If the child is not being breast fed you will want to consider stopping commercial infant formula ASAP and switch to a whole food product.

Another leading cause of colic is chronic over feeding. When food becomes the primary means of comforting a fussy baby, it provides a temporary solution but often creates more problems. The baby's digestive system is not allowed sufficient time between feedings (about three hours) to digest properly. I have heard tremendous success stories from mothers who go against the typical feed/sleep cycle and instead will feed their baby then allow some time awake -- not typically nursing them to sleep. These babies tend to have a very pleasant demeanor and are very skilled at taking long naps and sleeping straight through the night.

Another approach that can be used is the one reviewed in this study, the same natural treatment that may prevent childhood allergies -- a high-quality probiotic -- does wonders to lessen colic.

Scientists speculate that the probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri worked far better than simethicone because it contributed to an overall anti-inflammatory effect in a baby's intestines that modulated immune responses in the gut.

And, with all the bacteria existing in our guts, it's not surprising that balancing a baby's developing gut flora has such a beneficial effect. Total health begins in the gut, so if your GI tract isn't in optimal health, your overall health will be compromised.

The beneficial bacteria in your gut can help to boost your immune system, prevent allergic inflammation and food allergy, clear up eczema in children and heal the intestines from a variety of ailments. They are also one of the best ways to naturally combat most causes of infectious diarrhea.

I put every new patient in our clinic on probiotics, and it is one of the few "supplements" I personally take. It is absolutely crucial to be on them if you take any antibiotics, as they help your body repair and restore the damage the antibiotics do to your gut flora.

On Vital Votes, Jason Lauer, a DC from Waukehsa, Wisconsin, adds:

"This is a great article regarding probiotics. I have been told that one of the most important meals a child receives is the bacteria from its mother's vaginal canal during the birth process. C-section totally bypasses this natural process already compromising the child's digestive health. Not to mention the numbers of infants and moms having exposure to antibiotics.

"Here is another avenue to peruse regarding infantile colic that many are not aware of ... Constraint while in the uterus and/or the birth process stresses a newborn's spine and nervous system. This causes a spinal subluxation. If a child is pulled with forceps or vacuum extraction, you can almost always count on them having spinal subluxations and nervous system compromise.

"Chiropractors gently correct subluxations ... My recommendation is to practice proper spinal hygiene by having your kids checked before they end up compromised and sick."

http://www.mercola.com/2007/jan/25/tame-a-colicky-baby-with-a-high-quality-probiotic.htm

I think most of you members missed out this very important part of the article, Thanks to Liebling for posting this article. ;)

Her mom thinks it may have been because of the ear surgery Elly underwent earlier this month
and the next day they returned to the airport and can surely be forgiven if they fed their daughter enough Children’s Benadryl to fell a stallion. I exaggerate, perhaps, but it’s certainly what I would have done. In any case, Elly slept through the return flight home.

You call that a rotten toddler? The toddler had an ear surgery, can you image how much pains she was having that day? Like I said, toddlers cannot express their feelings, they throws temper tantrums, to express their frustrations I said that three times. Why don't you walk the mile in that toddler's shoes to feel what she is feeling that day, none of you have a clue! Instead jumping the gun and judge the parents and the toddler. *smh*

OH! you are totally wrong! I have seen very well behaved toddlers cuz
they are NOT SPOILED! get real, Angel.

Don't talk to her that way, she isn't wrong, there's no right and wrong. Do you understand that? Thank-you very much. Respect her opinion, it's her and hers alone.

this is so typical of sisters defending each other.. whatever

First of all, if a child had a medical surgery, then why is the parents taking her on a trip? The child should have healed first and be travel-ready. That seems to me a form of child abuse. If I had a child who had a surgery recently, I would definitely postpone the trip until my child was ready.

Excuse me? Defee was upright rude to her, it's not because she is my sister, I don't like it when members say "You're wrong!" There's no right nor there's no wrong, this is a discussion board, everyone has an opinion of their own. You should know better than that. Good Grief.

I agree.... my niece is almost three, but through her age of two she has been a very sweet girl with a small sweet mischeivous side. She rarely throws tantrums. She has gone on trips with her mother to Vietnam, and from what I heard, she was a good girl, excited to see outside the window. At home, she is always helping her grandmother "wash" the dishes and trying to help cleaning the house. It is really funny to watch sometimes. Such a sweet little girl, amazing for a two years old. Her parents rarely gives her candies, and she doesn't act spoiled enough to throw tantrums to get what she wants.

Liebling, I think you are missing the point. I am not talking about punishing kids for their tantrums, but knowing your kids. If they act like spoiled brats trying to throw tantrums for what they want, then I dont think they deserve to go to Disneyland.

Yeah Endymion, I am not surprised because way back then the 1950's American society valued the family above all much more than what I am seeing today and in some ways I wish America kept some of the good things from the 1950's.

Amtrak does have a family lounge in the cabin but the problem here is that just about anybody can come and go which is really not that too good or safe in today's society because of safety concerns. What I had in mind for on the airlines was that women can only enter the cabin where the kids are and that men have no business being there in that part of the cabin where the " daycare center " is in the cabin and if men who are single fathers in today's world can let the stweardess have the kids and then he can go and sit down read the newspaper, have something strong to drink to relax. The same thing should be done on Amtrak for the women and the children's safety.

Amtrak isn't existing in 1950's but started on service in early 1970's.

1950's isn't good since there's alot of bad racist on between white and black, also some big cities went down and growing more crime in 1960's.

Excuse me? Defee was upright rude to her, it's not because she is my sister, I don't like it when members say "You're wrong!" There's no right nor there's no wrong, this is a discussion board, everyone has an opinion of their own. You should know better than that. Good Grief.

Even if a member is rude to others, is it really necessary to make the situation worse by defending members? Just simply send a PM to the person in question in privacy and express your concern. Thats simple enough.

Even if a member is rude to others, is it really necessary to make the situation worse by defending members? Just simply send a PM to the person in question in privacy and express your concern. Thats simple enough.

Excuuuuuse me??? Let's examine THIS line>>>
...would this also fall under being 'rude' as well? Point is...practice what you preach sir, meaning, did 'you' take this to a PM and express your concern(s)??

If all this belittling keeps up...this thread will get closed.

~RR

Excuuuuuse me??? Let's examine THIS line>>> ...would this also fall under being 'rude' as well? Point is...practice what you preach sir, meaning, did 'you' take this to a PM and express your concern(s)??

If all this belittling keeps up...this thread will get closed.

~RR

Sure defend your sister in law.

yeah, I agree with you. Not worth to defense or other member's side. It will make things worse. I learn my lesson to not say anything when it makes you disgust while you read any threads or comment from other member's nasty saying something.

I just ignore it if you feel that member is inappropriated other person's side. (you know that member very well), I will be glad to feedback to that member in PM, email or AIM. Sometime, we can't see ourselves what we did wrong. ;)

Feedback is very helpful in our daily life ! :D My husband taught me to not involve or speak up in the front of the public. It will make worse. I thanked my husband.

Yeah I've seen it too...

A couple years ago, I was shopping at Target, I saw a small child ( looks like he was 2-3 years old ) in the cart , he kept whining about wanting something off the toy shelf, the mother was getting soo frustrated with him, so she slapped him right across the face, and oh the child was screaming and crying, the customers around me were staring at her, I stood there speechless, cause I couldn't believe the mother slapped him soo hard in the face, then the child didn't stop crying, so the mother slapped him once more again, I felt so sick in my stomach and wanted to walk over there and beat the crap out of the mother for doing that, but I couldn't, I didn't want to get arrest, so I pretend I wasn't watching, saw the mother yelling at her son, I suppose she was telling him to stop crying, but he didn't....so I saw her lifting her arm up again, so I ran over there and grab her arm and told her " If you hit that child again, I'll call the police " She looked at me and start yelling, I didn't have a clue what she said, all she was doing was spitting crap all over my face" I never left I stood there and agrue with her, until the store manager arrived and I told him what had happened and then I looked at the mother and I told her " If I ever see you hit your son again, May God help me " then I left the store, I dunno what happened afterwards....If I ever seen a parents doing that to a child, I will end it, I don't put up with that BS! To me it wasn't discipling it was CHILD ABUSE!!!!

Wow, I wouldn't start confront with them but rather go to layaway area (at Wal-Mart) or consumer service (at Target) then dial 911 and wait for police to arrive then show them, also if it was serious to hurt children.

In public school, all children are require to cover their head for tornado safety since teachers or staff are walking or stand to check out because children is more important and get extra care of them.

*smh* some people sure needs to grow up, seriously!

Sure defend your sister in law.

You and anyone else may see it that way, and that's not the case here....go ahead, assume all you want.

Obviously you are missing points expressed in this thread...and twist it about.

Good grief.

~RR

First of all, if a child had a medical surgery, then why is the parents taking her on a trip? The child should have healed first and be travel-ready. That seems to me a form of child abuse. If I had a child who had a surgery recently, I would definitely postpone the trip until my child was ready.

I totally agree. That's what I already explained to Lieblin' earlier in my previous post about takin' care of the child's problem first before goin' to the plane. If, a child had a problem durin' on the plane before takin' off, then the parents should take the child out of the plane to avoid " worse ". It will give less headaches and less hassles, too. Save time this way in peace.

Defee said:

And I haven't.... so therefore I'm not wrong I was being honest....

I think most of you members missed out this very important part of the article, Thanks to Liebling for posting this article. ;)

You call that a rotten toddler? The toddler had an ear surgery, can you image how much pains she was having that day? Like I said, toddlers cannot express their feelings, they throws temper tantrums, to express their frustrations I said that three times. Why don't you walk the mile in that toddler's shoes to feel what she is feeling that day, none of you have a clue! Instead jumping the gun and judge the parents and the toddler. *smh*

Unfortunlately yes... Okay, this is their choice to ignore my 2nd link, not mine...

Kuifje75 said:

And why aren't you doing the same thing? hmm....

Closing thread for review - and to let emotions cool down. This thread is getting a bit personal, isn't it?

Meanwhile, go have a cup of hot tea, relax in a hot tub, and read a good book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back