To Vegetarians, do you feed your kids meat?

Deafilmedia

Reaction score
Or do you let your kids eat no meat at all?

Or let the kids eat whatever they want to?

Can you handle that?

Or do you let your kids eat no meat at all?

Or let the kids eat whatever they want to?

Can you handle that?

I don't have kids but I am a vegetarian. If I have kids they will eat some meat probably. Yes, I can handle that :P Now I make chicken etc for friends sometimes and I feed my cats and dogs meat - no problem.

Vegetarian is just me and not everyone around me.

Seventh Day Advent people don't feed their kids meat. One can do that as long as one is careful about nutrition. Soybeans, tofu, nuts are excellent proteins.

cool Kait.

buffalo, 2 people got in trouble for giving their baby soy milk only, the baby died. 2 people are in jail for endangerment or reckless. Baby needed
cow milk or breast milk because of vitamins, calcium, and whatever in the milk the baby need.

cool Kait.

buffalo, 2 people got in trouble for giving their baby soy milk only, the baby died. 2 people are in jail for endangerment or reckless. Baby needed
cow milk or breast milk because of vitamins, calcium, and whatever in the milk the baby need.

you were asking about vegetarians who feed their kids. Now you are talking about vegans. Vegetarians and vegans are different. Vegetarians do eat diary products. Vegans do NOT eat diary products.

I am vegetarian and I love my yogurt and cheese.

My two cousins have babies and they are both vegetarians, and they won't allow their children to eat the meat, even their own dog... They would get pissed off if they know someone was feeding the meat to their babies or dog.

I am vegan(no fish, meat, eggs, etc.. no animal products at all), and it is not hard.. people always talk about how you have to 'be careful about getting vitamins' etc as a vegetarian/vegan.. but it is a total cinch. I probably get more vitamins, etc any way because I incidentally eat more fruits and veggies. If I had kids they would not eat any meat-- or probably any milk or eggs, etc. (They just gross me out-- and there is a lot of evidence for the harmful effects of factory farmed products due to the residual hormones/antibiotics..)

But, to each his/her own. Do whatever works for you.

buffalo, 2 people got in trouble for giving their baby soy milk only, the baby died. .

They were just abusive parents. Soy milk does NOT make soy-based baby formula. There are healthy vegan formulas on the market, there's the option of breastfeeding, and if neither of those work, almost all vegans would feed their children a cow's-milk based formula.

Personally, if I ever had children, they would probably be vegetarian, or vegan like me. It's just a matter of sharing what I know is right with my children.. in the same way that one teaches them not to harm humans.

I am vegan and any baby I have will also be vegan. They would get breast milk until they were old enough to eat normal food. I would never give them calf milk that is for sure.

I make my home a meat and dairy free zone. If when they were teenagers, and decided to eat meat I'd tell them they could but they had to go and eat it elsewhere. As I don't want the smell of animal corpses in my home. I'd also tell them all about what happens in factory farming etc...

I feed my animals on a vegan diet while they are here but I allow my dad to give Jilli scrambled egg now and then. The rats also get egg when they are staying at their rat sitters. I only insist the eggs are genuinely free range.

Dreama, how come you don’t hang out at VeggieBoards? As far as I know, it’s the biggest vegan board in existence right now. Lots of people from England there, too.

I am also a vegetarian. I don't see anything wrong with being vegan. I would imagine how hard for me to become vegan because of too strict on diet.

When I was at the lecture, a speaker is a vegan. He looks so thin and considers to be healthy. I feel something not right about him because his skull looks too thin. But, it is not my business for me to say that as long as he is still alive. He taught us to learn what food we eat on vegan which seems interesting. We bought a lot of vegan foods there. I liked a woman's homemade vegan pizza with vegan cheese on it. I lost the recipe for this pizza.

I think that it would be a good for your kids to become a vegetarian at the earliest as the best especially not discuss about the meat issue at home. I wouldn't recommend them to become a vegan until they are older like teenagers.

I am vegan and any baby I have will also be vegan. They would get breast milk until they were old enough to eat normal food. I would never give them calf milk that is for sure.

I make my home a meat and dairy free zone. If when they were teenagers, and decided to eat meat I'd tell them they could but they had to go and eat it elsewhere. As I don't want the smell of animal corpses in my home. I'd also tell them all about what happens in factory farming etc...

I feed my animals on a vegan diet while they are here but I allow my dad to give Jilli scrambled egg now and then. The rats also get egg when they are staying at their rat sitters. I only insist the eggs are genuinely free range.
Isn't milk important for bone growth? I can understand adults drinking less milk due to their bodies already being fully developed, but kids are constantly growing... they need all food groups.

Isn't milk important for bone growth? I can understand adults drinking less milk due to their bodies already being fully developed, but kids are constantly growing... they need all food groups.

There are several easy to purchase alternatives to cow's milk. The most popular, soy milk, is almost always sold fortified to equal or exceed the calcium and vitamin qualities of cow's milk. One very popular brand, Silk, even markets a specific flavor of soymilk for children. Almond milk is also fairly common, as is rice milk, but these may or may not have as much calcium and vitamins.

A vegan DOES have access to all food groups- just through different foods.

There are several easy to purchase alternatives to cow's milk. The most popular, soy milk, is almost always sold fortified to equal or exceed the calcium and vitamin qualities of cow's milk. One very popular brand, Silk, even markets a specific flavor of soymilk for children. Almond milk is also fairly common, as is rice milk, but these may or may not have as much calcium and vitamins.

A vegan DOES have access to all food groups- just through different foods.

Silk.. is what my daughter drinks (vanilla flavor) No she is not a vegetarian or such. She just hate the taste of milk and every time she would drink it she would get sick. It gags her..

She gets her calcium from yogurt and other alternative. I even have her take a calcium vitamin everyday.

Although I am not a parent, I am the child of vegetarian parents and a vegetarian myself.

I was raised vegetarian and have only had meat a few times in my life, none at all that I can remember. I have turned out fine, if not healthier than some of my friends who are meat eaters. Not to say that that is just because of the vegetarian diet. I was also raised very health conciouse and with lots of physical activity. Raising your child with a vegetarian/vegan diet is no more of a health risk than raising your child as a meat eater. You simply need to install good health conciouse values, and remind of the importance of leading a healthy life with physical activity, and limited 'junk food'. This will make them much healther than eating meat or not eating meat.

I went to a small group of vegan people at a meeting last night. I'm surprised to learn that milk is not good for you because it's only for cows that feed their calf, and it is not for us as human. Milk screw up your body naturally. That's what I'm trouble to believe it. I didn't bring my notebook to write it down from the meeting. Do you know anything about that?

They said that the kids shouldn't drink a milk. For babies, they should be feed from their mother's breast which is important for natural antibiotic to build up their defense. It looks that God created all mothers to feed their babies in order to make them alive and defense against the evils (germs and bacteria).

Babies do need breast milk or formula, but (like kittens) babies will get sick if you feed them cows milk-- It can cause GI bleeding which can cause anemia (and lead to death-- this also happens if babies get meat broth or juice) --look it up. It is in Dr. Spock's Baby Book

(Basically, cow's milk is really meant for baby cows.. too high in protein for people-- especially babies ..it coorelates to how quickly the baby animal needs to grow up.. cows grow faster than people)

And I have been a vegan most all my life, and that talk about being 'so careful' about nutrition is all hype.. it is a synch. (Better diet than most people I know)

cool Kait.

I went to a small group of vegan people at a meeting last night. I'm surprised to learn that milk is not good for you because it's only for cows that feed their calf, and it is not for us as human. Milk screw up your body naturally. That's what I'm trouble to believe it. I didn't bring my notebook to write it down from the meeting. Do you know anything about that?

They said that the kids shouldn't drink a milk. For babies, they should be feed from their mother's breast which is important for natural antibiotic to build up their defense. It looks that God created all mothers to feed their babies in order to make them alive and defense against the evils (germs and bacteria).

Oh, and btw the way you are quite right. Breast milk transmits antibodies to the babies (which do eventually wear off as the child builds up their own immunities). This is why, when polio was still around, it only struck older children (ie past infancy).. because as a baby they had been protected by their mother's immunities. (Natural vaccination kind of)

As far as being bad for people-- this is true. See my above post
(Drinking the cow milk is no different from drinking dog milk-- which is meant for puppies.) Most of the world does not/did not drink cow milk until incredibly recently because cows were not indigenous to most of the world.
Don't get me wrong-- if you are starving to death and it is milk or nothing, by all means drink the milk!! You have to get the calories from somewhere. And it is not (for most people) going to cause them to fall over and die instantly, but the increase in lactose-intolerance is a further indication that our bodies do not tolerate it well.

Plus, the bigger problem nowadays is the source of the milk.. with factor farming (in order to be more profitable) cows are fed hormones (to keep them lactating longer-- because cows, like all other creatures, only produce milk for a certain amount of time after giving birth-- the hormones stretch this time just a teeny bit longer) and antibiotics (because of unsanitary conditions cows, and the people who drank their milk, would be getting staph infections all the time). The extra hormones and antibiotics wind up in the milk.. this contributes to those antibiotic resistant bacteria that keep cropping up and early puberty many kids are experiencing (at age 7 and sometimes younger) with other problems...

Again to each his own, but many scientists agree that if you "have to" drink milk (not nutritionally, but rather as a treat) that explicitly 'hormone, GMO, and antibiotic free' milk is best

Read "The China Diet"-- my doctor used to think being a vegan was unhealthy, until he read it and he immediately became one too... I have never read it, but it must be pretty good...

(and no, my whole family isn't vegan.. though they resently became vegetarians)

...oh, and spinach has the same amount of protein as beef (just thought I would let people know that we are not 'unhealthy'.. and it is not difficult)

But again, to each his own.. do whatever works for you! (I just like people to have the real facts when making decisions/in discussions-- rather than myth, Old Wives Tales, and conjecture)

morphocoelestis

Can I eat a soy cheese pizza if I am vegan? Like Amy's (brand of pizza package) I am not so sure about the pizza bread that made with flour and milk.

I was very disappointed that some big food corporations buy organic companies. Boca is owned by Kraft. Naked Juice is controlled by Pepsi. General Mills took over Cascadian Farm and Muir Glen(?).

Here is the chart by Mercola.com:

listofbadcompanies.jpg

I am not a vegetarian and do not agree with forcing another human being to be a vegetarian or vegan, It is not natural not to eat meat eggs fish milk, they are essentials, you chat about alternatives and supplements all you want, but that would be proving my point, IT ISN'T NATURAL!!! Otherwise you wouldn't need these alternatives and supplements, I wish slow painful death upon any vegetarian or vegan, (Mod edit: words removed) Hmmm i fancy a mixed grill :/ Cya

Last edited by a moderator:
Back