To have the Cochlear Implant at profoundly born only

SpaceyUFO

Reaction score
Hi there

I was born profoundly Deaf and am fluently signer. I grew up wearing hearing aids until at 7years old and didn't understand what the vibration is. After that, decide not to wear it cos it was not useful to me and I cannot hear anything! Then I was about 12yrs old and my old teacher told me to wear my hearing aids on so i had to practise to use my voice to talk. Still it was no use to me! Later on i kept practicing lipreading and it was so hard! At 18yrs old, decide to wear my hearing aids again, and watched my ex's boyf can talk but hes deaf as well so I thought I wanted to try it again. I had to sit down and try to listen what he can talk to me. Finally! I heard his voice saying "mmmmmm" thats the word I have ever recognised! So I asked him to say again another word, saying "Hello", I even understood what he was saying to me! I was so happy that I got to understand what the sound was made!

I was so excited to hearing things, I heard a car passing went growlling then soft then gone, cat "purring" so sweetness i loved it lol! Children screaming (god, i hated that sound!) Toilet flushing, door close, and open, music, dog barking was sharpest voice! gee! one person have said to me "Hello, how are youuuuuuu" that one was the strongest then soft and the end of sentence was more weaker fade.

Then I practise how to talk with my voice talking to my ex's boyf then somehow I asked him to teach me how to use my voice often and he was happy to do that. I was happy! Later on, i lost my confident due that his mother said that I won't be able to be like hearing level! So I decide not to use my voice again due his mother thinks that I can't be like hearing world.

I met my friend, he had his cochlear implant at 12 of age and he is profoundly, and told me I have sweet and soft voice. He insist me to use my voice more and he told me the stories that he have heard. He told me that a lady was profoundly deaf at 40yrs old and she is signer, knows nothing about how to talk! She had to pay herself privately and her life have been so huge changed! Much better using her oral talking! She was sooo happy!

I asked him it is too late for me to get one? He said no and it is not too late for me! He made me thinking about it so i wanted to have one cochear implant!

I went to see a doctor that I wanted to have cochlear implant so he had to write a letter to the audiologist. I had the copy of audiology graph result to give the doctor so he can pass it to the audiologist. So I waited for one month, and I recieved a letter from audiologist saying that it declined!

The letter says that I have to be 6mths old baby that I will be candidate for cochlear implant! I knew this letter is very WRONG! I was disappointed!

I had to showed to my friend (same friend) to see what he thinks of this letter. He did the same thing saying to me, that letter was full of bullshitting and say that I can still get cochlear implant any age cos after the edvidence he saw a 40yrs old deaf lady got her cochlear implant. I know that but still im talking about age difference and I still should get one.

So i went to see a family doctor and bought a letter with me to show them. They said sorry and they had to explained to me that my brain won't be able to function those sounds and I was furious! I told them well i heard myself the cats purring, cars, people talking to me in one to one, dog woof, kids screaming, toilet flushing and etc....with my hearing aids. Told them I won't give up and I will make sure I'll follow up and get myself a cochlear implant.

I wanted to ask few question there. No bullshitting please or discrimination!

Is it possible for me to have cochlear implant at 26?

It is possible to have the cochlear at 110 dB and 120 dB?

Is it worthwhile?

I need to get lots of information so I can show it to them that I can get one. It would be great if you can give me any information that.

Hi Spacey...

There are other posters on here that have been implanted at age 26 and older -- one 26-yr old was implanted near the end of 2006 -- hopefully that person will "speak up".

You are sure to hear from them later.

Good luck

You're never too old to get implants. I'm 40 years old and I'm a CI Candidate. I was born with severe to profound deafness.

I heard about one old guy who never heard a sound in his life before he got implanted at 85 years old over at hearing exchange. (!)

Yeah, results vary significently and the new technology can be amazing! I'd say if hearing aids haven't proved enough, to go for it......you might be surprised. Just remember that the CI is a wild card for which everything is possible, but nothing is promised. You might be able to get speech perception, or just enviromental sound perception!

Yeah, results vary significently and the new technology can be amazing! I'd say if hearing aids haven't proved enough, to go for it......you might be surprised. Just remember that the CI is a wild card for which everything is possible, but nothing is promised. You might be able to get speech perception, or just enviromental sound perception!

Why do you keep repeating this phrase?

Hi Spacey...

There are other posters on here that have been implanted at age 26 and older -- one 26-yr old was implanted near the end of 2006 -- hopefully that person will "speak up".

You are sure to hear from them later.

Good luck

Thanks! Rightio, I have been researching finding more information so I can show it to the audiologist to prove them wrong! I used my voice alot and my family can understand me like some of vocabulary and little sentence like how are you? Do you want some? What for? (Basic sentence). Still lots of practicing.

You're never too old to get implants. I'm 40 years old and I'm a CI Candidate. I was born with severe to profound deafness.

I heard about one old guy who never heard a sound in his life before he got implanted at 85 years old over at hearing exchange. (!)

Wow, cool! This is very good one :) I knew the brain function would able to let the sounds in and recognise the vibration but I KNOW i won't able to understand the meaning of sounds. I know it will takes me long time to understand and how many patterns in this sound and what it means.

Thanks for reply me back :)

Uhhh rightio yeah! I'd say that hearing aids has got no benefits to me. I have to be closer to where the noise say in under one metre away to me to listen it! Its so sucks!

Is it possible for me to have cochlear implant at 26?

Yes, it is very possible. I am 26 years old and I just got my CI a few months ago! (look at my signature for the date)

Yes!

Is it worthwhile?

That depends on your hearing background, the kind of hearing loss you had, how hard you are willing to work to learn new sounds, and other variables.

I need to get lots of information so I can show it to them that I can get one. It would be great if you can give me any information that.

One can have a CI at any age as long as they are in good health. They would recommend that it is best to implant at a very small age only because that's when the window for speech and hearing skills is the most open. As you get older that window gets smaller and smaller.

Thanks! Rightio, I have been researching finding more information so I can show it to the audiologist to prove them wrong! I used my voice alot and my family can understand me like some of vocabulary and little sentence like how are you? Do you want some? What for? (Basic sentence). Still lots of practicing.

Does your audiologist work with CI'd people? If not, I suggest you go to a CI center.

Hi SpaceyUFO,

It sounds like something you very much want. As long as you keep your expectations low you will probably be happy with the results. At the minimum you will only hear environmental sounds. At very profound levels of hearing loss CIs are much more effective than hearing aids in terms of providing clarity and the required volume so even if you want to hear environmental sounds you will hear them better.

The letter says that I have to be 6mths old baby that I will be candidate for cochlear implant! I knew this letter is very WRONG! I was disappointed!

I'm wondering if you have misunderstood the letter as I have been told the same thing. What I took this to mean is that with a CI you have to start again and pretend to be a baby hearing sounds for the first time all over again. Basically it's a different medium of sound and so we have to retrain ourselves. We get used to the distorted sound that we get on hearing aids so at first the sounds from the CI will be strange to us. So if we pretend to be a baby and be prepared to start again then the results will probably be better because we have a realistic attitude. Does that make sense?

Best wishes!

I'm wondering if you have misunderstood the letter as I have been told the same thing. What I took this to mean is that with a CI you have to start again and pretend to be a baby hearing sounds for the first time all over again. Basically it's a different medium of sound and so we have to retrain ourselves. We get used to the distorted sound that we get on hearing aids so at first the sounds from the CI will be strange to us. So if we pretend to be a baby and be prepared to start again then the results will probably be better because we have a realistic attitude. Does that make sense?

Best wishes!

R2D2 does have a very good point!

I think that's all the more reason for getting the implant. My daughters hearing loss was at 110 dbs. and now she's at 20 dbs. She was a lot younger when she received her implant but it sounds like you are ready. You read about others getting their CI later like Lucia and they sound like they are happy with it. Keep fighting with your insurance company and best of luck to you.

No, the letter says that I have to be a baby when I just born not at late age thats what it says. And my family doctor says that I should have gotten the cochlear implants when I was a baby not late age. Thanks for your information :)

No, the letter says that I have to be a baby when I just born not at late age thats what it says. And my family doctor says that I should have gotten the cochlear implants when I was a baby not late age. Thanks for your information :)

Whoever wrote this letter to you is wrong.

I suggest you get a different audiologist.

Hi there. The letter says that I cannot have the cochlear implants that I am 26yrs old.

Unfortunately we cannot accept the referral as a Cochlear Implant is not suitable for someone who has been profoundly deaf since 6 months of age and we note that SpaceyUFO has received minimal help from hearing aids over the years.

We would therefore advise that no further action has been taken by the District Health Board Cochlear Implant Clinic on this referral.

Thats what it says to me. It is load of CRAP! I know that I still can get one cos I have heard of sounds before with my hearing aids. Cat purring, dog woofing, car passing, mmmmmmmm, Hello, door close and open, drawer open and close, musics, kids screaming, bell goes, toilet flushing and people talking (didn't understand them).

I think you should take Lucia's advice and seek another audiologist.

I was born with severe to profound deafness. I didn't get my first HA till I was 2 1/2 years old. Although I can hear a lot of stuff with my HA, I have never been able to understand speech without lipreading.

I'm 40 years old now and I'm a CI Candidate.

Hi there. The letter says that I cannot have the cochlear implants that I am 26yrs old.

Unfortunately we cannot accept the referral as a Cochlear Implant is not suitable for someone who has been profoundly deaf since 6 months of age and we note that SpaceyUFO has received minimal help from hearing aids over the years.

We would therefore advise that no further action has been taken by the District Health Board Cochlear Implant Clinic on this referral.

Thats what it says to me. It is load of CRAP! I know that I still can get one cos I have heard of sounds before with my hearing aids. Cat purring, dog woofing, car passing, mmmmmmmm, Hello, door close and open, drawer open and close, musics, kids screaming, bell goes, toilet flushing and people talking (didn't understand them).

Get a different audiologist. This is a shitload of crap.

Back