To all the deaf/HoH people.

Djrezurektion

Reaction score
Im sure you guys have heard this plenty of times, and im not trying to flame or anything, so please dont be mad with me pls :afro: but i was just wondering why a handful of deaf people don t really use the best of english, I mean, I can understand it, but to a certain extent... I have seen the most messed up sentences, but somehow the other hearing person can make sense out of it..once again, pls dont hate me ;; I had one more thing to say, but i forgot, haha...i will post it when i can think of it.!

THK U IP RO XXXXM GOODBYE SMILE SKSK

Its because we don't hear the sound of the words or letters. its like hearing people uses a complete sentence like "I am going to the mall" Deaf people says "me go mall" When using American Sign Language, most of us don't use complete sentences in sign language. We skip alot of the words that's not necessary to use. There are alot of intelligent, amazing people here in Alldeaf. Also there are crazy funny peeps here too! I think you'll enjoy being here if you're motivated to be involved in the deaf culture.

RebelGirl said:
Its because we don't hear the sound of the words or letters. its like hearing people uses a complete sentence like "I am going to the mall" Deaf people says "me go mall" When using American Sign Language, most of us don't use complete sentences in sign language. We skip alot of the words that's not necessary to use. There are alot of intelligent, amazing people here in Alldeaf. Also there are crazy funny peeps here too! I think you'll enjoy being here if you're motivated to be involved in the deaf culture.

Ah I get it now. thanks a lot for that info :) Yeah, I really am interested in deaf culture, but I am going to have to post more questions and stuff tmw because I have to go to sleep now, cuz i have school tomorrow at like, 9 AM and stuff :) see you all later! Goodniggght

Deaf language have their own anitque language, slangs, etc. just like Africian American people have their own slangs, langauge so forth. Nothing different.

let me say this, do you ask Afician American that question? If not, why are we different? We are no different than anyone else in this world.

The best thing if you are interesting in Deaf Culture, then you may need to get involve Deaf communities or classes under Deaf culture to understand more.

quiet gal said:
Deaf language have their own anitque language, slangs, etc. just like Africian American people have their own slangs, langauge so forth. Nothing different.

let me say this, do you ask Afician American that question? If not, why are we different? We are no different.

no no i didnt mean it like that...It was just something i was wondering, i wasnt trying to say you were different or anything. please dont be mad >< I know you aren't different from anyone else.

Djrezurektion said:
?? why the sigh?
I guess I don't have anything to say because I'm gettin' sleepy.

Here I can put in.....

Those words can't describe what we all write. No two are alike in a pod. We all don't have perfect English grammars, but some do still some don't. Like one best-selling book showed a lousy English grammar, do we buy it? Of course. Some stories are interesting. For each deaf person's English grammar, I can understand or cannot understand. It depends. My (hearing) mom was a pretty good reader on a deaf person's English grammar, she understood him/her better than me.

That's all I can say. G'nite. :)

THK U IP RO XXXXM GOODBYE SMILE SKSK
LMM wasn't going to have me relpy, But too many people relpy to you! So here she goes, You may be mad!
But you have use abv. that one use on ISP RO SCV and/or TTD's.
LMM hope you next questions isn't about TTD's or ISP RO. She feels you went to web site that explainshow to use ISP RO svc, But when you use ISP RO the RO ask you questions that a hearing person may not answer! LMM have see and/read alot people who have use this service because they can make free calls! Hearing people who do this is going to ruin it for people who DO need this sevice. BTW it's [svc] when you use TTD!

LMM

LMM said:
LMM wasn't going to have me relpy, But too many people relpy to you! So here she goes, You may be mad!
But you have use abv. that one use on ISP RO SCV and/or TTD's.
LMM hope you next questions isn't about TTD's or ISP RO. She feels you went to web site that explainshow to use ISP RO svc, But when you use ISP RO the RO ask you questions that a hearing person may not answer! LMM have see and/read alot people who have use this service because they can make free calls! Hearing people who do this is going to ruin it for people who DO need this sevice. BTW it's [svc] when you use TTD!

LMM
Honestly, I am a relay opr.. Yes I do hate those that prank their friends through the relay svc... it s not worth it to those who are actually deaf or hard of hearing. i'll admit that i do use it, but for NOTHING BAD, i have a side kick 2 and i use relay to call my mom to tell her im on my way home and stuff like that..nothing to prank, because it's a dumb thing to do..

You are not Deaf ! You have no right using ISP RO to make calls! No Matter what!
If you are a RO do you mind if LMM ASK you questions! Oh boy she will have fun asking you question about how to use RO. Nope they questions she will ask you won't find the answer on the internet net! Remember LMM use RO the same as you pick up a phone!
But then again you polly lie as you did on another site! LMM check you out already! You may fool some people here, But you don't slide w/LMM

LMM

LMM said:
You are not Deaf ! You have no right using ISP RO to make calls! No Matter what!
If you are a RO do you mind if LMM ASK you questions! Oh boy she will have fun asking you question about how to use RO. Nope they questions she will ask you won't find the answer on the internet net! Remember LMM use RO the same as you pick up a phone!
But then again you polly lie as you did on another site! LMM check you out already! You may fool some people here, But you don't slide w/LMM

LMM

ha ha ...okay..LMM, ask me a question about relay, Anything at all! :)

Whats ur RO nmbQQ yep have right ur NMB even thro we zero chat throu RS.
Which RS work u QQ
Thks
LMM

That's b/c dhh folks approach English as a Second language. Research has shown that dhh students make the same sort of errors that native speakers of other languages do. It's like the way that I can stumble along en francais, but my grammer and syntax will never be as good as a native French speaker.
Besides dhh folks don't have a lock on horrible grammar and syntax. Even native speakers of English may have trouble with it. Besides, haven't you seen the examples of mangled English out there? (ie the flattening of clothes with pleasure are the duties of the chambermaid, I would like sower cream and jellyfish, I want a ladies worsted nylon swimming pants and so on)

Good question... With my experince, some members already know, but I'll be more than happy to answer....

I grew up in public schools, and revolve around the hearing community than the deaf community, altough I'm deafblind. I also have been reading newspapers, anything above 6th grade, but I can read at 8th grade level, I think.

Some of my friends who stay at the deaf school or left mainstream schools at early age to go to the deaf school, their english skill go down because the deaf schools mostlly have lousy education.

English is my second language yes but I do it well. I'm sure there are some deaf/deafblind members here just like me.

Hope this answer your question.

LMM said:
Whats ur RO nmbQQ yep have right ur NMB even thro we zero chat throu RS.
Which RS work u QQ
Thks
LMM
LMM, I cannot give my op code out due to CRM issues. But the relay center I work at is the one in Riverbank, CA. Verizon.

racheleggert said:
Good question... With my experince, some members already know, but I'll be more than happy to answer....

I grew up in public schools, and revolve around the hearing community than the deaf community, altough I'm deafblind. I also have been reading newspapers, anything above 6th grade, but I can read at 8th grade level, I think.

Some of my friends who stay at the deaf school or left mainstream schools at early age to go to the deaf school, their english skill go down because the deaf schools mostlly have lousy education.

English is my second language yes but I do it well. I'm sure there are some deaf/deafblind members here just like me.

Hope this answer your question.

Yes, your english is very good :) um, one question if I may. What is 'deafblind'?? i mean, you're obviously not blind, because u can read what the computer screen says...thx again :) (sorry for all the curiousity guys..haha)

Djrezurektion said:
Yes, your english is very good :) um, one question if I may. What is 'deafblind'?? i mean, you're obviously not blind, because u can read what the computer screen says...thx again :) (sorry for all the curiousity guys..haha)

Another company that makes software that puts screen output into Braille is Freedom Scientific, if you're interested in looking at how this is done.

http://www.freedomscientific.com/

Back