To all the deaf/HoH people.

While we’re on the subject, a cheap way to do it is just use software that reads the screen for you. You just move the mouse cursor over the text, and it reads out loud in a Stephen-Hawkingish voice. Costs about $30, I think.

The other blindness possibility is legal blindness - vision is impaired, but *really* pumping the font up can make the computer useable. Usher's starts out like that, does it not? Gradual degeneration of vision?

Levonian said:
While we’re on the subject, a cheap way to do it is just use software that reads the screen for you. You just move the mouse cursor over the text, and it reads out loud in a Stephen-Hawkingish voice. Costs about $30, I think.

That's one way to do it...some of the lower-cost ones can run into problems with certain webpage designs, PDF's, and so on. But there are tons of options for this stuff.

I know, I look like a nerd, but I have a blind friend who explained to me how a lot of this stuff works.

Rose Immortal said:
I know, I look like a nerd, but I have a blind friend who explained to me how a lot of this stuff works.

That’s OK—I am a nerd. ;) So is my wife. I bag on her unmercifully about it, telling her that she’s the type of girl who was the treasurer of the Star Trek Club in junior high. I gave her an R2D2 Pez dispenser for our anniversary, and she cherishes it. :lol: Anyway, she works for a spastic quadriplegic girl with cortical blindness. I’ve seen and used some of her computer software. Pretty slick stuff, and of course, it’s improving all the time.

Truth is I'm a nerd too...huge Star Trek fan, though after Deep Space Nine I thought the writing really went downhill. I prefer Battlestar Galactica now.

Aaaanyway, back on topic...yeah, it's really amazing how capable the software has become now. I'm trying to figure out how they got it to read PDF files I can't even figure out how to copy and paste from!!!

Rachel, I think it would depend. Some of the deaf kids may not have got good teachers or the correct early intervention, or spent their early childhood in a speech therapist's office going "boo be bah"

I fogrot the name of the lady who was in the show "Second Chance" but it was this amazing deaf Malaysian girl who came to Canada to Toronto and learned ASL and became a teacher, She is still in Toronto, CA as far as I know..

She said the ability to hear in the first years when language developes is what causes the difference between English grammar and ASL English grammar.
IMO, ASL is separate language from English in a way that while it uses English words it has it's own grammar. So it's not like English translated into signs. it's more like two separate langauges with the same words.

Fuzzy

Because ASL is our primary language. We were taught that way when we were little kids. Nobody would correct us back in school because they value this language OR think its the only way we would understand. But to this day, the teacher recgonize this as a serious matter to fix this up. So they change from ASL language to engish to improve our grammar. But we still speak in ASL language and we write in english on paper. Hope that answer your question.

I'd like to add something also. Just same with hearing people.. they speak english and they write out on the paper in exact english because they were taught how to do that. They sometime spell it wrong because they follow the sound of word.. Same concept with deaf people write different "language" on the paper. Look at some spanish people (no offense) They speak some bad english because they werent taught how to speak or write in perfect english. They know what you are talking about anyway. They could be really smart in ther own language because they were taught how to speak and write in spanish language. Do you understand what im trying to explain? I hope i do say it in clear way. Heh

Back