tinnitus?

I will try ear plugs at the Super Bowl party. Especially if the 49ers win because it will be super loud!!!

Wirelessly posted

Cold fronts blasting through. Creating sudden air pressure change creates "rapid clicking sounds in my ears" My tinnitus is usually triggered by loud high frequecy sounds.

Sometimes mine gets really loud and my hearing drops significantly. It does this for about a half minute then the tinnitus drops back to normal levels and my hearing returns to how it usually is. Anyone else have this issue with theirs? I'm trying to figure out what is going on.

@ BabyBlue and needsleep-- I have been told that is not tinnitus, but due to Eustachian tube problems.

I have been hearing a new one, lower-pitch, like a chain-saw off in the distance. Quite a bit different than the high-pitch static.

Now I have it...started experiencing it when I joined Zumba due to the loud music and now I get it whenever I am tired or sick. That has never happened before. :(

@ BabyBlue and needsleep-- I have been told that is not tinnitus, but due to Eustachian tube problems.

Hmmm. That might explain why it is a different pitch from my standard "really high annoying tone" noise. Is this something you have experience with? What did they tell you about it, if you don't mind my asking?

Now I have it...started experiencing it when I joined Zumba due to the loud music and now I get it whenever I am tired or sick. That has never happened before. :(

Shel - when that happens, play some music that is totally opposite of Zumba. It's like a song stuck in your head. Happens to so many of us, including me. Playing music that is totally different helps to "erase" the memory/song stuck. May not be 100% perfect, but give it a try.

My tinnitus has been so, so awful. I can't remember when I last slept through the night. I've posted here already about what I hear but I am curious to know if anyone actually feels something when your tinnitus is at it's worse. My head feels full, I feel pressure and usually have a headache along side all the noise, firecrackers popping etc.

It is driving me crazy:-(

I find I get headaches and can't sleep when my tinnitus is worse...Last night was one of them..lol dunno if anyone noticed but I was on AD very late haha

I find I get headaches and can't sleep when my tinnitus is worse...Last night was one of them..lol dunno if anyone noticed but I was on AD very late haha

I did notice you on AD late last night. Sorry it was due to your tinnitus. Sometimes when my tinnitus is really bad I start getting purple and green flashes in my vision. I definitely stay off my IPad and turn off the TV when that happens. Hopefully tonight will be better for all of us.

Well, I try to have a sense of humor...as today, took the boys to the dentist and my friend came with us...my balance was very OFF... so she let me put my hand on her shoulder as we walked....and asked me "what have you been drinking"? ...:giggle: As I've said that perhaps my whole neighborhood is thinking I'm the neighborhood drunk...but don't care anymore...:giggle:

Been there and done that 2. our neighbor just moved in and saw me walking with my service dog. I was trying to walk straight but couldnt then fell down. The guy called the police and said I was doing harm to the dog by useing the dog to get back on my feet. when the police arrived,my husband saw them and came running out. The police helped me up. but the guy across the street yelled take the drunk to the station she needs to be in jail. needless to say when my husband told him I had a brain tumor that keep me off ballance . the guy instead of being nice said well I guess that is the excuse the next time I fall. what a jerk

I did notice you on AD late last night. Sorry it was due to your tinnitus. Sometimes when my tinnitus is really bad I start getting purple and green flashes in my vision. I definitely stay off my IPad and turn off the TV when that happens. Hopefully tonight will be better for all of us.
I have flashes of light too. but doc says it is because of floater in the eye. I dont believe it.. and also the head aches. sorry your having so much trouble.. a ice bag on my eyes seem to help a little.but does nothing for the sound.

Hmmm. That might explain why it is a different pitch from my standard "really high annoying tone" noise. Is this something you have experience with? What did they tell you about it, if you don't mind my asking?
They said "Pinch your nose and blow gently." However, that doesn't help. :D

Yeah. It doesn't feel like a pressure thing. I'll be going along, doing my things then it just hits out of nowhere. I try to keep going as normal, especially at work with customers, but it is sooo distracting!!

Well that too. Figured that was a given. x_x Scared the hell out of me the first time. Now I don't panic as much because it comes back...but I'm always wondering when the time will come that it drops out and I'm stuck with that loud tone alone forever. :(

(The hearing going in one thing. The volume of the tinnitus is a whole different ballgame.)

The volume of the tinnitus is a whole different ballgame.
Mine is not that much of a problem. 70db loss in many frequencies is.

Mine is not that much of a problem. 70db loss in many frequencies is.

I don't really know what things sound like/don't sound like when it happens. By the time I realize it, hear the noise, have a mini-freakout in my head("Is this the time it doens't sort itself back out again?"), and refocus on who I'm talking to it has started to back off already. I want to say that it sounds like my head is stuck underwater but I never really explored what I was hearing when it happens. I'll definitely try to do that next time so I can describe it better...

For me though, I can usually get the gist of what is being said to me so the noise is the bigger problem for me, personally, right now. If it were more than what it is, I know I'd be right there with you.

i do have it but others have it worse..it can get me down .i sure hearing aids made it worse..i have read somewhere that lavender oil help but has to be alpine lavender which expensive

Hi;
I have been a long time sufferer of severe tinnitus, it seems to get louder every year. I am profoundly HOH from injuries suffered during Active Duty Army years ago and as I lose more hearing the tinnitus takes its place. Its louder than my inner voice now and it occurs 24x7 all year round. Loud ringing, clicks, wurrs, pinging, banging and incoherant voices in the dark.

It became the dominant thing in my life until recently I attempted a foolish thing and tried to end it permanantly when I found out there is no cure. I lived to tell the tale and hope that my experience can help those who also suffer from the same condition.

Some FAQs I learned the hardway;

Tinnitus is a symptom itself not the desease-it comes from within the brain itself.

Tinnitus is the absence of noise to your brain-your brain is actually creating the tinnitus in an attempt to obtain noise from the outside. (like attenuating an AM radio station to get the radio station)

You cannot sever a nerve or volunteer to become completely deaf-you will still hear the ringing

Everyone has tinnitus but something brings it out

There are many different levels of tinnitus from hearing it intermittantly to it becoming life debilitating

Diet and excersise can help alleviate tinnitus but not cure it.

There are alot more facts out there but scientist still have alot to study on this topic.

Some ways to help tinnitus become manageable;

Try and attend tinnitus management classes in your area-they are a huge help-they helped me.

Tinnitus is harder for those of us who are profoundly deaf as we cannot use white noise generators or music to fall asleep because you cannot wear hearing aids in bed.

You can try aroma therapy, television (not recommended because it can also wake you up), headband with speakers and listen to sleep trance music (music that does not fluctuate much-like Enya. I am still working on new ideas for this myself. Maybe a soft light that changes colors (except for the color blue).

During the day with your hearing aids on you can listen to white noise generators. Also buy one of those battery powered water fountains and listen to the trickle of the water. Wind chimes are a help for me as well. Again soft music will aslo help. The Veterans Administration just issued me BTE hearing Aids that are programmed to play the sound of a gentl fan when there is no background noise-this will mask the ringing a bit or at least enough to take the edge off.

I have been told you can retrain your brain to hear something else besides the ringing but have not been successfull yet in spite of trying the excersises they gave me.

Try and get counseling-its great to have someone to talk to. When you've discovered a way around something please share with the rest of us.

Back