Thread Creator/Ownership

I was used to forums like 4chan, IGN, SomethingAwful and so on, so when I came here... it was an odd subculture for me until jolie cleared the issue up. Even the small forums I have been on, de-railment was a social norm when the topic ran dry.

So... yeah Bucket is right. "Social dynamics."

When you post something on a forum, you don't actually own anything, you share the content you post with the Forum Administrator, Forum Moderators, and other forum members.

You don't see in everyday conversation when the topic runs dry the person who brought it up saying "Off topic, I own this conversation!!" It really makes one look like a fool.

I think the same should apply here, but I say *should* because this isn't like everyday conversation, this is the internet, you don't have that actual face-to-face conversation going on. Instead of facial expressions, you have emoticons, which some people can't or don't use due to visual impairments.

Claiming conversation ownership in real life is ridiculous, so I think claiming thread ownership is also ridiculous. We should let the conversations flow naturally, and so what if a thread gets derailed. There are more tragic things in this world than a derailed thread.

JMHO.

When you post something on a forum, you don't actually own anything, you share the content you post with the Forum Administrator, Forum Moderators, and other forum members.

You don't see in everyday conversation when the topic runs dry the person who brought it up saying "Off topic, I own this conversation!!" It really makes one look like a fool.

I think the same should apply here, but I say *should* because this isn't like everyday conversation, this is the internet, you don't have that actual face-to-face conversation going on. Instead of facial expressions, you have emoticons, which some people can't or don't use due to visual impairments.

Claiming conversation ownership in real life is ridiculous, so I think claiming thread ownership is also ridiculous. We should let the conversations flow naturally, and so what if a thread gets derailed. There are more tragic things in this world than a derailed thread.

JMHO.

:gpost:

If someone told me in real life that I was going "off-topic", I would shut up and walk away. When I was in another forum, threads commonly went off-topic because it's human nature to go from subject to subject in order to learn more about each other. There was one particular member, however, that made it his mission to let everyone know when they were off-topic. It was because it was "his thread" and so we needed to abide by "his rules".

Last edited:

JMHO.

it is true, but in some cases, people do own their conversation. If it is about her personal life, she doesn't want people go around making hurtful opinions about her personal life. So she'll probably say "enough, let's talk about something else"

Just the other week someone in my family has to be asked to leave because he was badmouthing about someone in the family. They told him "Enough!" That point on, they had to exclude him from any discussion about that peculiar family member So it is kinda like they own the conservation.

Keep in mind of the social dynamics of each forum.

Not all forums are Deaf-centric like AD.

AD is quite the Deaf-centric forum as it is very diverse.

You have the CIs, ASL, Bilingualism as well as the diverse languages.

Not a lot of hearing forums can tout this pride as AD can.

This is where owning a thread is not possible because everything in this forum is always open to individualistic interpretations.

Hey, I went/go to some hearing forums before, and only one deafness-related forum I often visit is AD. My pervious post didn't say anything about D/deaf-related things from another forums. I was talked about general forums. I'm very aware that is not all forums are Deaf-centric. :)

PFH - Oh, I see. Hmm...

:gpost:

If someone told me in real life that I was going "off-topic", I would shut up and walk away. When I was in another forum, threads commonly went off-topic because it's human nature to go from subject to subject in order to learn more about each other. There was one particular member, however, that made it his mission to let everyone know when they were off-topic. It was because it was "his thread" and so we needed to abide by "his rules".

Sometimes when people go off topic, it ruins a good discussion, especially when it gets personal and ugly.

Back