Thoughts on SSI/SSDI?

BradB08

Reaction score
While I'm obviously on a short break and I can't fully research SSDI or SSI, I'd like to know others thoughts on both.

A little background for myself. I've never gotten SSI or SSDI. I'm sure I could. I grew up in a family where my father was always drilling the notion that I need to work and work hard, into my head. When I was a teenager, I did all kinds of odd jobs to save up for stuff like bicycles and baseball cards. I got my first job working at the public school in my area as a custodian. I've been working 5-6 different jobs since I was 18 and I'm almost 27 now.

Personally, I refuse to get either SSI or SSDI. I have reasons I'll go into. I think that some deaf people assume that all deaf people have or had SSI/SSDI. This is a pretty misleading assumption. It's not easy to find a job but I've found that you really have to try sometimes and cannot rely on VR, etc.

Share your thoughts. I didn't want to go too deep into this subject because of the possibility that I'd offend someone.

If you get either SSI or SSDI, then you will have to limit your income from employment.

Have you tried employment agencies to see if they can help you find a better job? Some places might pay you $30,000 per year. :)

If you get either SSI or SSDI, then you will have to limit your income from employment.

Have you tried employment agencies to see if they can help you find a better job? Some places might pay you $30,000 per year. :)

I'm happy with what I make now ($26,000-something a year) and it's much more than my old job. I have the potential to make up to $15-$16 a hour anyway, though it will take a while to get there.

Employment agencies suck by the way. I never had any luck with OVR or temp agencies.

And again, I do not want SSI or SSDI. I do however want opinions on it.

I'm on disabilty and it SUCKS. About the only reason why I am on disabilty is that Mass Health is the only insurance in Mass. that covers hearing aids. Heck.....trying to find health insurance and skyrocketing health care costs are a HUGE problem for hearing "healthy" people. Just pisses me off.

SSI and SSDI have different criteria for eligiblity, and do not serve the same purpose. They are necessary social programs.

If you are happy with the job, don't bother to get SSDI unless your health isn't good or retired, then you can apply for one. :)

SSI sucks! It is good for High school student and college student since it is only small amount of money. It is hard with small amount of money in real world if you live on your own.

If you are happy with the job, don't bother to get SSDI unless your health isn't good or retired, then you can apply for one. :)

SSI sucks! It is good for High school student and college student since it is only small amount of money. It is hard with small amount of money in real world if you live on your own.

Agreed. SSI is not intended as full support for anyone. It is Supplemental Security Income. It is intended to allow those with disabilities to live above the poverty line while they work part time and seek full time employment, or while they train for employment. It is temporary, and the intent of SSI is to assist people while they put themselves in a position of being able to support themselves.

It is temporary, and the intent of SSI is to assist people while they put themselves in a position of being able to support themselves.

I don't think that this is enforced. They may send you a letter encouraging you once in a blue moon to help you find a job, but it is never enforced.

I don't think that this is enforced. They may send you a letter encouraging you once in a blue moon to help you find a job, but it is never enforced.

In order for benefits to continue, one has to have a periodic review. SSI doesn't help with employment concerns. That is the province of BVR. Of course, people can choose not to look for work, or to work only part time to avoid loosing benefits. And some do just that. But the intent of SSI is to provide a supplement while the individual looks for work or goes to school or training.

Working in a social service setting, I'd found that a handful of people would not want to lose their SSI due to its additional benefits like health care. (Some jobs would not give full benefits until six months or more after hiring.) Some states have programs that help with the transition and they do not advertise it.

It worries me that some, intentionally, wrap their professional income(s) around SSI/SSDI's criteria. It, also, worries me about public perception that does not take other factors into consideration.

I think if you are able to work you should be working. Yes, finding a job is hard for EVERYONE. That's why it's called work.
I also think you are a hypocrite if you say "deaf are not disabled" but you get SSDI. Anyone who limits their hours at work because they want to make sure they still get their SSI/SSDI should be embarrassed they are taking advantage of the taxpayers like that.

I think if you are able to work you should be working. Yes, finding a job is hard for EVERYONE. That's why it's called work.
I also think you are a hypocrite if you say "deaf are not disabled" but you get SSDI. Anyone who limits their hours at work because they want to make sure they still get their SSI/SSDI should be embarrassed they are taking advantage of the taxpayers like that.

SSDI doesn't have anything to do with taxpayers from what I know.

I agree that folks who are able to work, should work.

However, if they have unique circumstances (raising children alone, high rent, etc), I don't see anything wrong with a bit of supplemental income.

I have had a Section 8 housing voucher for over 6 years now and I only got it due to being Deaf. As soon as I start making more, I'm going to lose it and you know what? I'm fine with that. I hate yearly inspections and all of that crap to go through just to keep a voucher.

SSDI doesn't have anything to do with taxpayers from what I know.

I agree that folks who are able to work, should work.

However, if they have unique circumstances (raising children alone, high rent, etc), I don't see anything wrong with a bit of supplemental income.

I have had a Section 8 housing voucher for over 6 years now and I only got it due to being Deaf. As soon as I start making more, I'm going to lose it and you know what? I'm fine with that. I hate yearly inspections and all of that crap to go through just to keep a voucher.

If you don't think the resources/money is coming from taxpayers, where do you figger it does?

If you don't think the resources/money is coming from taxpayers, where do you figger it does?

Your paycheck.

If you've worked at least 7 years, you will get a statement from the Social Security Administration that tells you how much you can expect to get in SSDI, should you choose to apply for it.

deaf people, Especially "Deaf" people those banging on the Deaf cultural model of things, denys deaf people as having a disabilityso then lets remove SSI/SDI from Deaf/deaf people , and see what happens

deaf people, Especially "Deaf" people those banging on the Deaf cultural model of things, denys deaf people as having a disabilityso then lets remove SSI/SDI from Deaf/deaf people , and see what happens

Sorry, but I don't understand what you just said. Do you mean that SSI/SSDI should be taken away from Deaf people?

Well the SSI and SSDI are not the same, SSI is for those who cannot work due to their disability and the SSDI is for those who became disability from the work.

My opinion, the SSI is okay for those who are high school or college students, or part-time workers, or those who was laid off, for varies of reasons. I do get the SSI checks and I am also an landlord. Most of my SSI money go to the house bills, very little rest of it would be my saving or spending.

Just be aware that the SSI is very limit, like you can't have over $2,000 in your bank account, you can't have two or more houses, etc.

:rofl: I can understand what you are saying, it's ridicilious to refuse to accept as disability and get the SSI checks.

Grummer's basically saying it is hypocritical of those who claim deafness is not a disability; yet, they file for benefits.....

Back