This sucks...Polar Bear Plunge

Won't it make your *ahem* smaller??? :rofl: I'm just kidding.. don't mind me.. i'm just in a naughty mood tonight :giggle:

I'd like to try it one day to see what it feels like. Let me know how it goes and yes, make sure you get someone to take pix of you doing it! AND Good Luck!

It was not really as bad as I thought and I had a really fun time there.

Polar Bear plunge draws record 4,000 for 34-degree swim
By DANIEL VALENTINE, Staff Writer

With temperatures hitting nearly 60 degrees yesterday, a lot more flesh than usual was on display at the 10th Annual Maryland State Police Polar Bear Plunge.

Faced with the prospect that they could swim without stepping through thin ice that's been known to coat the waters off Sandy Point State Park in previous years, the crowd of thousands abandoned their coats for bikinis, bathrobes and shorts well before they reached the beach.

"I'm from Worcester, Massachusetts. This is like June!" bellowed barechested Naval Academy worker Adam Devaney of Arnold, a Patriots fan who had "Brady is God" written in black marker on his back.

But the bravado and bragging still didn't stop the collective roar of the 4,000-strong crowd from rising several octaves when the swimmers hit the 34 degree water at 2 p.m.

"It's fine -- until it gets up to your knees," said a shivering Dave Tasker, a Catonsville man who raised $400 from friends and neighbors for the charity event. "What was I thinking?"

Organizers said the warm weather, heavy radio promotion and nearly a decade of previous participation helped set new records for yesterday's cold water charity drive to benefit the Special Olympics of Maryland.

Though officials will continue to tally donations brought by the swimmers through the week, Special Olympics spokesman Kelley Wallace said they had already hit their goal of raising $1 million in donations, roughly a third of the group's annual budget.

"It's really been amazing," she said. "To think that a single day can do so much."

Ms. Wallace said the estimated crowd of 4,000 was nearly 1,200 more than last year's total, and the highest on record for the State Police-sponsored event that started in 1996. The crowd also brought about $375,000 more than last year.

As cars lined up for miles before the park entrance, troopers directed traffic a half-mile away, leaving swimmers a long hike to the shore.

Swimmers were still arriving more than an hour after the official 2 p.m. swim time ended.

"I'm there cleaning up, and there's people stripping down on the beach," Ms. Wallace said.

Early-arriving swimmers also fortified themselves for the plunge by cooking burgers and breaking out beer, turning the parking lots into a giant tailgate party.

In addition to local radio and TV personalities, beauty queens and politicians, Anne Arundel County residents made a strong showing at the event.

The Severna Park High School Falcons lacrosse team became the "Frozen Falcons", with 30 members taking the plunge.

"Remember. It's mandatory," coach Jim Beardmore said in an answering machine message to his team.

The team was expected to bring in $10,000 in donations, Ms. Wallace said.

In addition to swimsuits, costumes abounded at the event, including a field of purple-clad Ravens fans.

Members of Ravens Roosts across the state participated in the plunge, raising $60,000. Pasadena Ravens Roost 65 had 25 plungers and raised more than $4,000 themselves.

"It wasn't bad at all. There was no ice this time," said Sue Draper, spokesman for the Pasadena chapter. "I thought it would be more of a shock with the air being so warm."

Roost member Darryl Despeaux set his own record as one of 20 "Super Plungers" who jumped in the waters every hour starting Friday at noon. By late yesterday, he was home earning a well-deserved sleep.

"He's been zonked out since he got home," said his daughter, who said Mr. Despeaux gathered $30,000 in donations.

The 20 super plungers raised an estimated $200,000 for the Special Olympics in total.

To keep the swimmers safe, helicopters and boats hovered near the beach where thousands ran in for a quick dip. Rescue divers also stood by in the water, but they wore wet suits.

"It's not a real plunge unless you go all the way," said Roger McCallister, an Annapolis public works inspector who raised $320 and wore shorts for the first time in his four years braving the elements.

"We've actually had to break ice before," he said before going in. "This time, I might even do a little backstroke."

As they milled about, swimmers took turns crowing about their cold weathering abilities, including first-time plunger and Anne Arundel Community College worker Pete Hassen.

"Back in Maine, I used to jump off the dock every winter just for fun!" he shouted at passing crowd members.

Special Olympics officials will post the final results of this year's plunge on their Web site later this week.
--SOURCE--

Taylor said:
It was not really as bad as I thought and I had a really fun time there.
I hope you had a sweet little honey to warm you up after the cold water...

SherryCherish said:
not for me.. i will get brochiltis easily.. Go for it, Taylor....

same here I can get bronchitis when I have no winter coat and go outside it will make me get cough really hard hurt my chest. In during winter time . but glad havent cough for almost 2 yrs :)

and also I would not want go in polar bear plung it is too :cold: :cold: :cold: :cold:

brrr.. i think my nuts shrank a little bit just reading that..

I did it once..but I was young and stupid. It wasn't for a good cause.. just a dare among friends... bunch of us ran into the Atlantic Ocean in late December to see who could deal with it..

stupid, yes.. what made it worse was the LONG run from the house we rented to the water... and then having to RUN BACK!

The advantage of being the first one out of the water was using up the hot water! :)

Back