Think daughter is audist...

Kids give mom more crap because they know that they can show mom their worst side and mom will still love them. That's when mom has to model standing up for herself and setting appropriate boundaries. This is how kids learn about relationships.

Give her the inter-generational curse: I hope that one day you have a child just like you.

Speaking of boundaries, I remember that my Grandfather Smith was unable to set boundaries between my little sister and me when we ended up quarreling at each other. My big sister says that when my Grandmother Smith was alive, she couldn't either with my big brother and my big sister.

I can relate to you on this one. I'm quite compulsive about correcting my own grammar and I will go and edit my own posts when I spot a grammar mistake.
One of my pet peeves when it comes to speech corrections is that, the conservation seems to end right after my speech is corrected.

^^^^^^ This! Exactly! If I can edit posts will always go back and correct. Try *not* to because this is *instinct* words that come to me.

At work, wow, *SO* different. Sometime take an hour or hour and a half just to write proper email with proper 'English' words.

Then again, sometimes I think, "Screw that!" Try not be compulsive about "English" mistakes anymore. :giggle:

It's a funny line I use for my water aerobics class members (mostly women in their 70's and 80's) when they say they need to leave early. "Do you have a note from your mother?" It's good for a chuckle!

:giggle: Too funny!

Mean say *LOVE* avatar! *SO* beautiful! I'd do ya! :laugh2:

^^^FYI, I love your grammar - (proper or not)! It's very unique - very signature Rebecca!

:ty: Just this morning, when talk about threat to boyfriend, get tears because say to him, "I cannot tell you, or express, how *important* it feel for me that have own people who understand where I come from." He say, "Will, never, evah, feel jealous that you turn to them or forum. Would be jealous of me to suggest that you do that."

Just now he watch movie while I sit at kitchen table, supposedly working, but drawn to my own people for support during challenging time with 18 year old daughter.

She leave tomorrow morning she tell me but she and brother off to movie. Do not know when now have time speak with her about all this. Feel sad. Maybe should just put in email like boyfriend suggest? Prefer face to face because body language. :(

:lol: I am not tactful!! But did you know I have autism? It gives me that blunt outspoken edge.

Did not *know* autism. Just think 'deafie'. :giggle:

But, have thank you, even though we, how say, butt heads? in beginning. Blunt wake me up always. So thank you. :ty:

Kids give mom more crap because they know that they can show mom their worst side and mom will still love them. That's when mom has to model standing up for herself and setting appropriate boundaries. This is how kids learn about relationships.

Give her the inter-generational curse: I hope that one day you have a child just like you.

*SO* true! :laugh2:

I give curse to 'eldest' daughter when she around 14 and say she hate me. I say to daughter, "One day, Crystal, you will have a child *JUST* like you and only then will you understand!" She now understand.:laugh2: Second daughter not only *like* her but could be HoH. There ya go darlin...:giggle:

Sorry to hear you've been hurt by your daughter.

Hope things will improve once you've sat down with her and discuss.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

A family helps each other. As long as each person's needs are considered and met, it's a healthy family. In the U.S., our society is so individualist that family cooperation is often pathologized. The Deaf community is more interdependent in a good way.

When I leave for bathroom after her comment the other night boyfriend have *talk* with son and daughter. Daughter say to him, "Yes, I know she's deaf but she's so good at lip-reading so why do we need to learn ASL?" :eek3:

I don't have any kids so I don't know if this is the right thing to say/do.... turn off your voice and/or turn off your television which will force her to lipread. If lipreading is so hard and exhausting for her so why is she continuing refusing to use ASL and thus forcing you to lipread?

I thought I read somewhere that the hearing people make better lipreaders because they already have the language. It would be nice if somebody can send me (and Rebeccalj) an article on that.

Thank you much to both of the ladies for the hearing sampler.
This is most interesting and helpful

Fuzzy

I don't have any kids so I don't know if this is the right thing to say/do.... turn off your voice and/or turn off your television which will force her to lipread. If lipreading is so hard and exhausting for her so why is she continuing refusing to use ASL and thus forcing you to lipread?

I thought I read somewhere that the hearing people make better lipreaders because they already have the language. It would be nice if somebody can send me (and Rebeccalj) an article on that.

I did not know that. It actually makes sense but do not know where article might be.

I heard that one too and I believe it cuz I've met hearing who can lipread better than me.

We met a late deafened man in my in law's town, and he said he could hear nothing, but he was able to read lips perfectly. I watched him conversing, and he did seem as if he understood everything.

I thought I read somewhere that the hearing people make better lipreaders because they already have the language.

Really? I need to research that one.

I personally find it hard to believe it, since hearing pple hardly ever look at the lips or even faces of the people they converse with,
so how can they do that (lip read), since it's a skill to be learned and practiced?

ps. oh, unless they learned the lipreading on purpose!

Fuzzy

Back