The Ugly Truth of CI

Status
Not open for further replies.
:eek3: What happens if children need a major surgery for varies of reason or needs vaccines?

Automatic power of attorney for life threatening medical conditions.

The whole purpose of an implant is to change the individual from more deaf to less deaf. Of course the change is directed at the deaf person. You are deaf, so lets employ a surgical intervention to change the fact that you are deaf. To say that it doesn't focus the impetus for change on the individual is absurd. If the change were focused on making the environment less disabling, the change would come outside of the individual...such a parents learning sign language.

And you continually preach about giving a child all opportunity, yet you restricted your own child to an oral only environment. That, in and of itself is evidence that you, in philosophy subscribe to the biomedical definition of disability and all of its implications. One of the most important implications inheentin the model is that causation and solution are placed on the individual with the disability and that the environment is released from the responsibility to accommodate. The individual with the disability is expected to accommodate the non-disabled population.

My perscriptive of cochlear implants is this - my cochlear is damaged. I have no hair cells and the implants bypasses the damage and sends the sound to the auditory nerve.

I am deaf, I have always been deaf and will always be deaf.

About the bold print, since you and Rick are on opposite views. The opposite can be said. Both need to try not to bring up your upbringing of your children. Both are old enough now to decide how they want to live their life. What would either do if your child came home and said - I want a CI or I don't want to wear my CI? Would you both be strong enough to accept an adult decision from your child?

My perscriptive of cochlear implants is this - my cochlear is damaged. I have no hair cells and the implants bypasses the damage and sends the sound to the auditory nerve.

About the bold print, since you and Rick are on opposite views. The opposite can be said. Both need to try not to bring up your upbringing of your children. Both are old enough now to decide how they want to live their life. What would either do if your child came home and said - I want a CI or I don't want to wear my CI? Would you both be strong enough to accept an adult decision from your child?

In your avatar, is that your daughter? Sorry, topic point out....

I did not realize, you have your cochlear implant. I always thought, you were a parent of your Deaf daughter who has CI. By the way, nice meet you.

Apologize for confuse, who you were.

Related this thread about ci.. ok

check it out my vlog..
you'll see it what my 1st and 2nd..
*sigh* Hospital.. when I was at the hospital while have a baby boy.. you'll see it..
(go see Blog's thread)

In your avatar, is that your daughter? Sorry, topic point out....

I did not realize, you have your cochlear implant. I always thought, you were a parent of your Deaf daughter who has CI. By the way, nice meet you.

Apologize for confuse, who you were.

Yes, that is my daughter :) . She is nine and hearing. She is biracial, my husband is filipino and hearing I am white and deaf. I have bilateral CIs. I was implanted in July 19, 2007.

Automatic power of attorney for life threatening medical conditions.

I'm so shocked to get that kind of respond from you Jillio, no government is going to tell me what choice or decision I make for my own children.

I'm so shocked to get that kind of respond from you Jillio, no government is going to tell me what choice or decision I make for my own children.

Jillo and Kalista were referring to life threatening conditions not deafness.

I agree. My child too!

I agree. My child too!

Huh? I dont think Jillo was talking about power of attorney for a CI but for a life-threatening condition that needs medical assistant for the child.

Unless I am missing something here, pls correct me, Jillo and Kalista.

Jillo and Kalista were referring to life threatening conditions not deafness.

Read Kalista's post again,

Kalista said:
I am talking about a healthy Deaf baby. Do the baby needs a surgery for cochlear implant?

Would you get a cochlear implant on your Deaf child even he/she is healthy baby and Deaf son or daughter?

We were debate how much we were so furious with many parents because they do not realize how brilliant Deaf people out there with successful careers and education. Why do we need cochlear implant on many innocence Deaf children. We need to education to many Parents to meet with more Deaf people to look at other side like we do good parents, jobs, etc...

Why why do they get ci on 18 months old children, there is not medical reason as emergency from Deaf to hearing. No !!! I disagree with the medical decision by the parents to make their Deaf children become hearing. That is full of B.S.

They are moving away from surgery for CIs. If the lastest research go through, CIs will be done in the Doctor's office or outpatient with activation the same day. It will not be major surgery.

Yes, that is my daughter :) . She is nine and hearing. She is biracial, my husband is filipino and hearing I am white and deaf. I have bilateral CIs. I was implanted in July 19, 2007.

You got a beautiful daughter. Oh, you have CI, thanks for the clarification. What is bilateral ?

Read Kalista's post again,

Kalista..are u saying that a power of attorney should be called to prevent the parents from implanting their children?

Would you get a cochlear implant on your Deaf child even he/she is healthy baby and Deaf son or daughter?

We were debate how much we were so furious with many parents because they do not realize how brilliant Deaf people out there with successful careers and education. Why do we need cochlear implant on many innocence Deaf children. We need to education to many Parents to meet with more Deaf people to look at other side like we do good parents, jobs, etc...

Why why do they get ci on 18 months old children, there is not medical reason as emergency from Deaf to hearing. No !!! I disagree with the medical decision by the parents to make their Deaf children become hearing. That is full of B.S.

Kalista, you're the last person I would discuss about cochlear implant cause I know where you stand on this issue, you do not keep an open mind on the choice these hearing parents make in their daily life for their children. second you have no respect for some of your friends who had second cocher implant, yes I saw that thread, it's a shame too. I have friends with has CI, I love and support them no matter what, and I also know a parent who just implant their daughter with CI, she doing wonderful, I know how to back off when it comes to parents decision.

It funny how people complain about government being in their personal and private lives, well I'm one of them, I'm a parents of three handsome boys, there no way the government is going to tell me how I should raise my children or what desciion I should make either and yes if one of my child was deaf, I think I'll go for these implant.

My reply was to rick48. In response toyour question, if my son came home and said that he had made the decision to be implanted, I would support him 100% in his decision, for I believe in empowerment regarding my son, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back