The Talking Deafie

I am total deaf, have been for 4 years. Family says I talk too quiet or normally. When I had my HA's previously, I was always too loud. When I was between HA's, I spoke quietly. Makes no sense.
Are you currently wearing hearing aids? Cause a person's voice could get softer and quieter after not getting amplification over time.

I am severe-profound and talk very well, thanks to mainstream, hearing family, and speech therapy for almost 4 years.

Many people don't think I'm Deaf either. They believe since I can hear with a hearing aid that I can understand and even though I can hear well with a hearing aid that I'm not Deaf. I even had someone tell me that I was making this up and that I was only fooling myself.

Guess it's safe to say that I'm an Oral Deafie as well?
Sounds like it (i.e. no pun intended)! And seeing that you're new here, welcome to the forum!

Are you currently wearing hearing aids? Cause a person's voice could get softer and quieter after not getting amplification over time.

HA's and CI's are no good for me. I have no ear drums and no cochlea. I am absolutely total deaf. I am totally happy that way. Have been like this for 4 years now.

I am a talking deafie, I guess.

I was born hearing.
Became HOH at 16.
I'm now almost 19 and profoundly deaf.

I don't prefer to talk anymore now that I can't hear myself, but I can talk. I still use my voice with people close to me.

I am definitely an oral deafie. Born profoundly deaf and wore HAs until 2008. That's when I got the CI. I did learn sign about the same time I got the CI, but it's very limited. I've also made several deaf friends in the past few years. However, I've always talked. Maybe a little too much.

As my mom used to say, "Once we taught Vicky how to talk, she never stopped."

P.S. I'm Vicky. ;)

Yup, I get that all the time. People have though I am Austrian, Spanish, and South African. LOL!

A lot of people I meet ask me, "Where is your accent from?" Maybe I should start telling them "Deafland." :hmm:

I like that! I'm a Talking Deafie, raised mainstreamed in a totally oral environment. Getting tired of using my voice though. Learning Sign Language pretty fast now. I sim-com to my hearing kids so they can learn sign as well. Glad to get to know sign language and the Deaf community.
Now I can choose to take time out to just being me, who I am without having to pretend I'm hearing. Most people, with the exception of Audis and children,
don't know I'm severely-deaf. They just put it down to 'accent'.

I just happen to be a person with a hearing loss who prefer to talk and listen. No biggie. Oh, and with a bit of a southern accent to go with it, too.

I just happen to be a person with a hearing loss who prefer to talk and listen. No biggie. Oh, and with a bit of a deaf accent to go with it, too.

fixed it for you. :cool2:

Wirelessly posted

Define deaf accent. Hearing people thought I was faking it because I don't have a "deaf accent," but it's definitely not anything from North America.

One hearing ADer said she really had to pay attention to pick up an indicator since my accent not even remotely the same as any Deaf or HoH individuals she have met.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Define deaf accent. Hearing people thought I was faking it because I don't have a "deaf accent," but it's definitely not anything from North America.

One hearing ADer said she really had to pay attention to pick up an indicator since it's not even remotely the same as any Deaf or HoH individuals she have met.

I believe it. I have met several deaf people who don't "sound deaf", and I am totally willing to be honest about it.

Back