The Surprising Ingredient Causing Weight Gain

You need call congress to pass bill to restrict on MSG and allow FDA to authority on food with MSG.

yes. Lots of people cut down on msg. i only LOVE chinese food with msg in it. but sad they sell with no msg. :mad2:

Oh really, the chinese restaurant in my area does have food with MSG, it's so good.

I'm not surprised because monosodium glutamate is a sodium salt. Salt is known to retain water resulting in temporary weight gain while low consumption of salt would cause temporary weight loss because the water is expelled from the body. Although if one keep on consuming a high volume of salt (especially MSG), you can expect problems to show up.

MSG is a nasty one though.

There is no need to freak out about things like this. What people really need to do is stop demonizing everything and realize that moderation is the key to good health. Sure, if ALL you eat is processed foods, you're going to have issues with your health somewhere down the line. But, if you also balance that will wholesome foods like grains, fruits and vegetables, you'll be in better health.

I'm all about common sense and moderation.

Either way, we are all bombarded by unhealthy junk on a daily basis, it just takes more effort to manage eating healthier foods whether it is laced with MSG or not. I'm more convinced that extra helping of luscious cheesecake (or whatever soul food you crave) causes MOST of the weight gain.

Either way, we are all bombarded by unhealthy junk on a daily basis, it just takes more effort to manage eating healthier foods whether it is laced with MSG or not. I'm more convinced that extra helping of luscious cheesecake (or whatever soul food you crave) causes MOST of the weight gain.

Agreed!

If MSG is addictive, why do we have so many health food fanatics, orthorexics, and those w/ EDs or EDNOS? We also have world-class athletes that carefully monitor what they eat and how much.

I have to say that as crazy as all this is, the best way to keep from being overweight to begin with is eating a sensible diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, get enough exercise and abstain from bad habits.

I think there are about as many fat people on this earth as there are skinny people. If it were addictive there would be a worldwide epidemic of overweight people. We wouldn't be worrying about starving children in China.

If MSG is addictive, why do we have so many health food fanatics, orthorexics, and those w/ EDs or EDNOS? We also have world-class athletes that carefully monitor what they eat and how much.

I have to say that as crazy as all this is, the best way to keep from being overweight to begin with is eating a sensible diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, get enough exercise and abstain from bad habits.

I think there are about as many fat people on this earth as there are skinny people. If it were addictive there would be a worldwide epidemic of overweight people. We wouldn't be worrying about starving children in China.

Thank you, Dixie! :gpost:

Studies like this one only add to the problem of eating disorders. We need to stop demonizing food/food products and start embracing the idea that ALL foods in moderation is the key to good health and well being!

i would have agreed with post of MSG

i gain weight everyday and i drank lots diet coke,water bottle and also i try drink diet dr pepper and my stomatch felt like growls!! but i cant eat midnight snack follow doctor's order but i eat one plate next day i get gain weight scales all the times how much i lose weight..

I told my mom about dont going fast food everyday because of more gain weight but i would can eat at home all the times expect hot pockets -lowfat,sandwiches,frozen pasta and lots of mores..But i told my mom about can eat fast food once..

I'm not surprised because monosodium glutamate is a sodium salt. Salt is known to retain water resulting in temporary weight gain while low consumption of salt would cause temporary weight loss because the water is expelled from the body. Although if one keep on consuming a high volume of salt (especially MSG), you can expect problems to show up.

MSG is a nasty one though.

Ditto.

PePe LePew, :ty: for spread positive information out to here.

i gain weight everyday and i drank lots diet coke,water bottle and also i try drink diet dr pepper and my stomatch felt like growls!! but i cant eat midnight snack follow doctor's order but i eat one plate next day i get gain weight scales all the times how much i lose weight..

I told my mom about dont going fast food everyday because of more gain weight but i would can eat at home all the times expect hot pockets -lowfat,sandwiches,frozen pasta and lots of mores..But i told my mom about can eat fast food once..

Drinking Diet coke can prevent you from losing weight. I just quit drinking diet soda on a daily basis about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I am already seeing my stomach getting flatter so FAST. It was hard to quit but since then, I have felt so much more energetic. I just limit my Diet soda intake to maybe social events.

Frozen pasta and hot pockets are high in MSG.

There is no need to freak out about things like this. What people really need to do is stop demonizing everything and realize that moderation is the key to good health. Sure, if ALL you eat is processed foods, you're going to have issues with your health somewhere down the line. But, if you also balance that will wholesome foods like grains, fruits and vegetables, you'll be in better health.

I'm all about common sense and moderation.

I agree...I realized how much I lacked in common sense before so I found it 4 weeks ago! :)

Drinking Diet coke can prevent you from losing weight. I just quit drinking diet soda on a daily basis about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I am already seeing my stomach getting flatter so FAST. It was hard to quit but since then, I have felt so much more energetic. I just limit my Diet soda intake to maybe social events.

Frozen pasta and hot pockets are high in MSG.

you know what words for means of MSG? but i look on yahoo websites or google but nobody found!!

When I learned how much MSG was in the Chinese food from the take out places, I quit eating it. My husband still orders it and always offer me some of his. All I do is just look at his food and the only thing I see is all that sodium. I always decline him. My appetite for those kinds of foods have been lost forever, I think. Good thing! :)

I'm replying a little bit late, but if you ever do want Chinese food again, you can order it without MSG. Every time I've done a take out order, I've always asked them to make it without the MSG and it's never been a problem.

Drinking a lot of diet soda isn't going to help. Diet soda is just a sugar-free substitution for regular soda and has no nutritional value to it. You're better off drinking only water. Save the diet soda for when you're going out to eat or just having a can/glass while watching a movie.

Back