The Silencing of the Deaf [article]

Nic

Reaction score
https://medium.com/matter/the-silencing-of-the-deaf-22979c8ec9d6

This is an older article, but I searched the forums and didn't find a post about it. Apologies if this is a re-post. It's also long, but I think worth reading through the whole thing.

Hoichi got me thinking about CI and early age implants in a post a few days ago. So I did what I do and I googled and read a bunch. This article was pretty profound and stuck with me. It offers both points of view and has a lot of information. I also learned some stuff about the history of Deaf culture I didn't know.

I think if I were in this position, having a child born deaf, as a HOH adult who grew up hearing but is now learning ASL and discovering how I want my life to evolve, I think I'd struggle hugely over the CI decision. I know I'd embrace Deaf culture with my child, and they'd probably grow up BiBi; but CI? I'd be so torn. I'd be torn if/when this becomes an option for me even. But a child? Yikes.

I know this is a touchy subject, and I thought about putting this post in the on-topic debates forum, but I'd rather this not be a debate. I'm really just curious what your experiences have been. Growing up with or without CI, a part of or not a part of Deaf culture, later life implants, etc. General reaction to the story would also be helpful, I think.

My interest sort of stems from a doctor appoint. I've been asking more questions, and the ENT "reassured" me that if my left ear does follow my right, at which point I won't be able to understand voices anymore or hear terribly well at all, we can explore CI(s) as an option. So of course now I have to learn as much as I can about this.

I posted this article, a while ago....mmmmmm(scratches head)...cant remember the name of it though.......(lights fat joint)
Anyway....
Glad my posts got you thinkin....
Its a serious topic...really as as it stands now..we dont stand a chance against the onslaught.
As the drill turns....

I remember there are some articles said about 90% of hearing families chose spoken language over ASL. Or something like that.

I remember there are some articles said about 90% of hearing families chose spoken language over ASL. Or something like that.

That assumes that's a permanet decision. Yes, there's not a lot of parents chosing ASL right off the bat, (which SUCKS) but there are also a lot of parents who are now chosing to add ASL as a second language....I even know mildly HOH kids who are learning ASL and attend Deaf ed programs!

Also, there's been some signs of hope.....there was a professional journal that said that it might be a good idea for implanted kids to learn ASL! We need to push the FACT that ASL, Cued Speech, deaf ed etc can and does ADD to the safety net and provide support.
I also adore (sarcasm) the implication that the CI will allow unfettered access to the hearing world. The usual experiance seems to be that a kid will do OK early on, and then start really struggling around 4th grade/middle and high school.........Partial access is NOT full unfettered access!

my son tells me CI not done that much now in uk..when he in mood I ask him.
YES agree should learn sign with CI

I think learning sign together would be a great way to bond with your deaf (or even hearing) child and I don't really understand why any hearing parent wouldn't step up to the challenge and do it.

That said, it isn't easy and it takes time... So I kind of get it... but it seems selfish of the parents to not have their deaf child learn sign, and to not also themselves learn.

Also, there's been some signs of hope.....there was a professional journal that said that it might be a good idea for implanted kids to learn ASL! We need to push the FACT that ASL, Cued Speech, deaf ed etc can and does ADD to the safety net and provide support.
I also adore (sarcasm) the implication that the CI will allow unfettered access to the hearing world. The usual experiance seems to be that a kid will do OK early on, and then start really struggling around 4th grade/middle and high school.........Partial access is NOT full unfettered access!

So some academic journal ran an article that stated it "might" be a good idea........
Well...
That just demonstrates how despirate the situtation really has become, our babies are getting drilled into in ever increasing numbers, snd we can say its a hope that some.academic journay says "might""
Harsh...
Indeed its grim, but a sign of slim hope, of the kind that is irreleavant..really

I think learning sign together would be a great way to bond with your deaf (or even hearing) child and I don't really understand why any hearing parent wouldn't step up to the challenge and do it.

That said, it isn't easy and it takes time... So I kind of get it... but it seems selfish of the parents to not have their deaf child learn sign, and to not also themselves learn.

I KNOW! Meet the dhh kid halfway and learn ASL for THEM! Easy, simple! I understand it might take time for an audilogically deaf kid to learn to speak, and that parents tend to be really worried about speech.....but once the kid starts talking.....enroll the kid into a Deaf ed program, and have them learn ASL! I get it that parents tend to be terrified of the trappings of disabilty or think that if they enroll their kid in deaf ed that means that they'll graduate and become one of those people who sell ASL cards.
I hate the implication that b/c a dhh kid can hear and talk, that automaticly means they'll be successful...... Hearing people can hear and talk and not all of them are sucessful by far!

Back