The price of hearing aids....

monday

Reaction score
I'm 28 years old and I've recently been diagnosed as HoH and told that I would benefit from hearing aids. Ironic, considering I want to become an ASL interpreter. I consulted the requirements for the interpreter program I want to enter, and without amplification of some sort, I don't hear on certain frequencies within the required db. My db loss is relatively small, comparatively speaking, db 35 in my right ear, and my left ear is better, but not by much.

I've been looking into hearing aids, and I am astounded by how much they cost! As cliche as it is, I am the typical "poor college student", I don't make nearly enough money to cover the costs of the aids and still have money left over to take care of myself and my 2 small children.

I tried googling about programs but everything I find is for young children or senior citizens. Does anyone know of anything available out there for my age category?

Starkey has a program to get hearing aids to low income people who need them.

By the way, more than a few people will be unwilling to accept a hoh interpreter.

Starkey has a program to get hearing aids to low income people who need them.

By the way, more than a few people will be unwilling to accept a hoh interpreter.

Thanks for the info!

Why would people be unwilling to accept an hoh interpreter, if, with hearing aids, the interpreter is capable of hearing at a normal level? There is a huge deaf community here and I've met many hoh interpreters who don't seem to be lacking in work. Is it a personal opinion, or a general consensus amongst the deaf community? Several of my deaf friends have told me that being hoh gives me more credibility in the interpreting field. Did I misunderstand something?

Not to be rude, but some people are afraid that HOH interpreters might not catch what the speakers are saying for obvious reasons...being HOH.

We had a HOH interpreter back in college in the late '80's, he was cool and did not miss a beat, so if he can do it, you can do it. He had a hard time getting to that point, though.

As for hearing aids...you can get new ones on eBay at a fraction of the cost like I did for my wife....works great!!.....BUT....it was an analog aid and was easy to set up. If you want a digital, you will have to bring it in to the audi for programming, and, trust me, they do not like it when people buy aids online and bring them in. (especially if it is an independent hearing aid shop, as hospital/medical center staff are paid a salary and don't care where you got the aid from)

The analog aid we got is a Starkey clone for profoundly deaf ears, paid $200 for it, adjusted the dials to match the old one, and voila, perfect. Been working well for 2 years now.

Depending on the seller, you CAN get a copy of your hearing loss results, email it to the seller, and he will program your hearing aid for you.

OTOH, it's a relatively mild loss. You might not even qualify for hearing aids. A lot of mild loss people don't b/c of sound distortion issues.

I didn't qualify for hearing aids at first either because my loss wasn't that bad...but personally I wouldn't want to have an hoh terp either due to the possibility of missing information ...my program is nursing and I wouldn't be able to afford to miss any vital info

I'm loving everyone's help! :)

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I think I've read somewhere about Certified Deaf Interpreters. How different is that from just your average ASL Interpreter?

I'm loving everyone's help! :)

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I think I've read somewhere about Certified Deaf Interpreters. How different is that from just your average ASL Interpreter?

CDI are deaf people and perform a different function.

There is nothing wrong with perusing an interpreter career with a hearing loss (I've always believed that the deaf can do anything). You may want to consider alternate careers as well. If you are really lucky, you will find a job that lets you do both careers. It happens, just not very often.

I went through the interpreter training program and with very good grades, I dropped out of the last class because I knew that I did not have enough hearing to interpret reliably and I felt that the deaf person I was interpreting for was being cheated. I interpreted twice before dropping out. I could have continued and only interpreted one on one situations. they do not come up all the time and I was already using an interpreter on my classes.

There are specialty interpreters for deaf and blind (tactical signs), low language persons, foreign language deaf, ect... There are options of you complete a regular interpreter training program. So I say, go for it!

Thanks for the info!

Why would people be unwilling to accept an hoh interpreter, if, with hearing aids, the interpreter is capable of hearing at a normal level? There is a huge deaf community here and I've met many hoh interpreters who don't seem to be lacking in work. Is it a personal opinion, or a general consensus amongst the deaf community? Several of my deaf friends have told me that being hoh gives me more credibility in the interpreting field. Did I misunderstand something?

It's their personal opinion. Go for it!

REALLY? I never heard of that!
Do you mind explaining what is that, please?
And sorry for being off topic!

Fuzzy

Certainly. Here is some information and a link to find out more . :)

http://www.rid.org/UserFiles/File/pdfs/120.pdf

USE OF A CERTIFIED DEAF INTERPRETER
About the CDI
A Certified Deaf Interpreter (CDI) is an individual who is deaf or hard of hearing and has been
certified by the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf as an interpreter.
Specialized training and/or experience
In addition to excellent general communication skills and general interpreter training, the CDI
may also have specialized training and/or experience in use of gesture, mime, props, drawings
and other tools to enhance communication.The CDI has an extensive knowledge and understanding
of deafness, the deaf community, and/or Deaf culture which combined with excellent
communication skills, can bring added expertise into booth routine and uniquely difficult interpreting
situations.
Meeting special communication challenges
A Certified Deaf Interpreter may be needed when the communication mode of a deaf consumer
is so unique that it cannot be adequately accessed by interpreters who are hearing. Some such
situations may involve individuals who:
n use idiosyncratic non-standard signs or gestures such as those commonly referred to as
“home signs” which are unique to a family
n use a foreign sign language
n have minimal or limited communication skills
n are deaf-blind or deaf with limited vision
n use signs particular to a given region, ethnic or age group
n have characteristics reflective of Deaf Culture not familiar to hearing interpreters.
The CDI at Work
As a team member
Often a Certified Deaf Interpreter works as a team member with a certified interpreter who is
hearing. In some situations, a CDI/hearing interpreter team can communicate more effectively
than a hearing interpreter alone or a team of two hearing interpreters or a CDI alone. In the
CDI/hearing interpreter team situation, the CDI transmits message content between a deaf consumer
and a hearing interpreter; the hearing interpreter transmits message content between the
CDI and a hearing consumer. While this process resembles a message relay, it is more than that.
Each interpreter receives the message in one communication mode (or language), processes it
linguistically and culturally, then passes it on in the appropriate communication mode. In even
more challenging situations, the CDI and hearing interpreter may work together to understand a
deaf individual's message, confer with each other to arrive at their best interpretation, then convey
that interpretation to the hearing party.
For Deaf-Blind individuals
When a consumer who is deaf-blind is involved, the CDI may receive a speaker’s message visually,
then relay it to the deaf-blind individual through the sense of touch or at close visual range.
This process is not a simple relay in which the CDI sees the signs and copies them for the person
who is deaf-blind. The CDI processes the message, then transmits it in the mode most easily
understood by the individual who is deaf-blind.
Solo
The CDI sometimes works as the sole interpreter in a situation. In these instances, the CDI may
use sign language or other communication modes that are effective with a particular deaf individual;
and may use, with the hearing consumer,

Glad to see Starkey has been mentioned! My situation is similar- I was told a couple of years ago that I'm losing my hearing and should get HAs. I was also a student and had no idea how to afford them, so my audi gave me an application for Starkey's Hear Now program. You have to qualify- medically and financially- and there is an application fee of $125 PER hearing aid (still- way less then paying the full cost for HAs!). I'm not sure if you'd qualify with such a mild loss, but maybe contact the people at the foundation and get their opinion?

In case you're curious, here's what mine look like:

TT41N.jpg

Good luck! I hope things work out for you!

Monday - do you have a copy of your Audiogram ???

If you blank out your personal details (name/location etc) would you be willing to post it? That way we might be able to make some more accurate suggestions.

I will say that if you have 35db loss, while you qualify for HAs (you're right on the cusp) you may find that in most situations that they make it more difficult to hear, not less.

Also - if you do decide to get HAs, don't make the mistake I did - I figured that because my left side didn't need a lot of amplification (mild/mod flux) that I could get away with a less expensive HA. WORST MISTAKE! It's actually the opposite...because the more hearing you have, the higher quality you need the sound to be, the better background noise reduction you need to have, the more programs you will find helpful etc.
So if you do decide to go for HAs, I'd recommend taking the time to save up etc and then get really good ones - you'll find them 300% more helpful than getting a less expensive more basic HA.

Please make sure you're seeing a proper Audiologist - someone with a AuD. (doctorate in Audiology), not someone who's a "hearing aid dispenser" or "hearing aid fitter" etc. Oh, and places like "Beltone", "Miracle Ear" etc - if you see them, run the other way ... fast.

Go to Costco. Seriously. Their hearing aids aren't ideal for those with severe to profound hearing loss or difficult fits, but for mild to moderate loss you can't beat them in terms of value.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

MosDeaf said:
Go to Costco. Seriously. Their hearing aids aren't ideal for those with severe to profound hearing loss or difficult fits, but for mild to moderate loss you can't beat them in terms of value.

FWIW , I know a number of people who've tried Costco's HAs for mild-moderate HL and been very unhappy with the HAs available.

I'm not sure if all Costco's have the same HAs or not though.

As I mentioned before, there is a misconception that if one has mild or moderate hearing loss that they can "get away with" a cheaper HA because of the small amount of amplification needed. The problem is that those of us who use a HA for a mild-mod hearing loss have other fitting/sound blending & especially background noise issues when amplified which are specific to having so much "natural hearing".

In all cases, regardless of if you have mild, mod, severe or profound HL - it's important to get the absolutely best HA you can manage to afford (even if you need to take a loan to do it).
The advantage of having mild - mod HL is (as an adult) is that you still have enough residual hearing that you can fairly comfortably take additional time to save up for a high qualify HA that will give you the best fitting results and amplification that blends well with your 'natural'(residual) hearing.

HTH

Last edited:
Well I was told by one Audiologist that the better the background rejection the higher the cost. It really depends upon what level of sophistication you want. You could get a simple amplifier with Walkman-type ear buds for a few bucks. At the other end, you have hidden inside-the-ear remote control models with full-spectrum selectable filtering that cost as much as a car.

Back