The price of hearing aids....

Monday - do you have a copy of your Audiogram ???

If you blank out your personal details (name/location etc) would you be willing to post it? That way we might be able to make some more accurate suggestions.

I will say that if you have 35db loss, while you qualify for HAs (you're right on the cusp) you may find that in most situations that they make it more difficult to hear, not less.

Also - if you do decide to get HAs, don't make the mistake I did - I figured that because my left side didn't need a lot of amplification (mild/mod flux) that I could get away with a less expensive HA. WORST MISTAKE! It's actually the opposite...because the more hearing you have, the higher quality you need the sound to be, the better background noise reduction you need to have, the more programs you will find helpful etc.
So if you do decide to go for HAs, I'd recommend taking the time to save up etc and then get really good ones - you'll find them 300% more helpful than getting a less expensive more basic HA.

Please make sure you're seeing a proper Audiologist - someone with a AuD. (doctorate in Audiology), not someone who's a "hearing aid dispenser" or "hearing aid fitter" etc. Oh, and places like "Beltone", "Miracle Ear" etc - if you see them, run the other way ... fast.

THIS! Some of the best advice offered. I have mild/moderate (left/right) hearing loss in the mid-frequencies. At times hearing aids can be useful for mild/moderate loss. However I still take my HAs out when I feel I function just fine without them.

I didn't qualify for any funding to help with hearing aids because my loss at the time wasn't severe enough. As my right ear has started slipping a low-frequency loss...I found paying as much as I did for my HAs have allowed me to adjust then as needed. I also needed more channels as a cookie-biter.

While true, you could wait to use aids...what you don't use you lose. Even if your loss is corrected to hear on normal levels with the HAs, you can still misunderstand certain things especially if your HAs are giving you really bad feedback.

I just use my HAs as needed, particularly at work and for class because that's where I struggle to hear people the most when they're talking (it sounds like kids are muffling their voices).

However in loud places I don't wear my left one because it causes more problems than not wearing it.

Trial aids and see what feels/sounds better to you. Only you can decide what you will like in the end.

THIS! Some of the best advice offered. I have mild/moderate (left/right) hearing loss in the mid-frequencies. At times hearing aids can be useful for mild/moderate loss. However I still take my HAs out when I feel I function just fine without them.

I didn't qualify for any funding to help with hearing aids because my loss at the time wasn't severe enough. As my right ear has started slipping a low-frequency loss...I found paying as much as I did for my HAs have allowed me to adjust then as needed. I also needed more channels as a cookie-biter.

While true, you could wait to use aids...what you don't use you lose. Even if your loss is corrected to hear on normal levels with the HAs, you can still misunderstand certain things especially if your HAs are giving you really bad feedback.

I just use my HAs as needed, particularly at work and for class because that's where I struggle to hear people the most when they're talking (it sounds like kids are muffling their voices).

However in loud places I don't wear my left one because it causes more problems than not wearing it.

Trial aids and see what feels/sounds better to you. Only you can decide what you will like in the end.

This thread is 2 years old .

...So? People can still comment on it- people do searches and it's nice to see updated or newer opinions.

*shrug* The one time I see an old thread and post in it. My bad...:roll: It's the first time I've posted in an old thread. My mistake...

Back