The penalty for texting and driving in your state

rockin'robin

Reaction score
(MoneyWatch) Do you text and drive, read email and drive, or instant message and drive? Hopefully not, but the fact remains that many people are doing it. In fact, a recent study from the Governors Voice on Highway Safety shows that more than a third of drivers are reading texts and emails while driving, and the percentage of accidents in which cell phone use plays a role continues to go up.

What will it take to keep you from becoming a statistic? Just knowing that it's dangerous is apparently not good enough. But what about paying a fine? Almost every state -- all but four -- have passed legislation banning texting while driving.

What's the penalty for using your phone for text or email while driving? It varies by state. Ignoring the four states which have enacted no laws, the lightest bill you can get is in California: Just $20. That's in stark contrast to Alaska, which charges an incredible $10,000 for texting while driving. New Jersey comes down somewhere in the middle, with a $400 fee. You can see all the states in an infographic at Mother Jones, or browse this list, arranged from the most to the least costly states:

Alaska $10,000
Utah $750
Guam $500
Indiana $500
Maine $500
Oregon $500
New Jersey $400
Wisconsin $400
New York $243
North Carolina $230
Hawaii $200
Nebraska $200
Louisiana $175
Connecticut $150
Georgia $150
Ohio $150
Pennsylvania $140
Minnesota $135
Virginia $125
Washington $124
Arkansas $100
Massachusetts $100
Michigan $100
New Hampshire $100
North Dakota $100
Vermont $100
West Virginia $100
District of Columbia $100
Idaho $85
Rhode Island $85
Illinois $75
Maryland $75
Wyoming $75
Kansas $60
Tennessee $60
Colorado $50
Delaware $50
Nevada $50
Florida $30
Iowa $30
Alabama $25
Kentucky $25
California $20

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-penalty-for-texting-and-driving-in-your-state/

I would like to see ours go up to Alaska's level, since $20 isn't working.

Florida, Iowa, Alabama, Kentucky and California are lucky people!

I would like see book thrown at them,been a few fatal accidents bc of it...That and dog craping on pavement makes my blood boil...Alaska got right idea but I understand only one road..
I think it illegal here if not should be

There is fees to pay so for California it is around $160

Inaccurate list.
California's fees are much higher. Even higher than in any other state.

my recent bail in California was $380 for "minor violation", it was not even violation at all. I could easily dismiss my ticket in the court, and got my money back.

Fees depends on the county and cities to go with it.

So we can't compare the states. We can't compare the most "expensive" county or city in Alaska, with the "cheapest" county or city in California, like it was done on the first post.

I wonder, what do deaf people do, when they pulled out by police? How do they get explanation of the violation? For example when I was pulled only once and I had no idea what I was stopped for. I just got my ticket and went, though I've seen policeman was explaining me something, but I didn't understand.
When I made research on my ticket at home, I understood that I didn't violate anything. If I could even hear, I could easily explain to police, and certainly would go without ticket and without wasting time for the court.

The title of this thread is about text and drive violation. Other serious violations are higher to pay the ticket.

So we can't compare the states. We can't compare the most "expensive" county or city in Alaska, with the "cheapest" county or city in California, like it was done on the first post.

I would like to see ours go up to Alaska's level, since $20 isn't working.

Agreed. In fact, counties where the penalty are so low act as an encouragement for people to violate the rule: After all, if I get caught, I only have to pay $20. It's almost like a tax. Raise it to the equivalent of DUI penalties and people will think twice. In terms of it's danger, studies have equated texting-while-driving with DUI in terms of likelihood of causing an accident.

The title of this thread is about text and drive violation. Other serious violations are higher to pay the ticket.
Yes, anyway California text and drive violation is not $20. I believe there are also some wrong statements for other states, too.

McGarrett will never enforce that :D

image_portrait_w858.jpg

Chin--Danny its $200 texting while driving here did you know that?

Steve--- Chin not with five-o unit. were above the laws. :lol:

There is fees to pay so for California it is around $160

I was just going to say that. There are signs everywhere that the fee is $160+ if you're caught texting while driving.

I can understand the law. But when you do this people will find loopholes around it. Like texting on their laps and looking around to see this

tumblr_lxaz3gBMEp1qbbb1vo1_500.png

I can understand the law. But when you do this people will find loopholes around it. Like texting on their laps and looking around to see this

tumblr_lxaz3gBMEp1qbbb1vo1_500.png

Are you going text while driving?

Back