The Origins of Homosexuality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go talk to jillio, she has been asked over and over to post the medically accepted test name that proves your statement. The AMA has no such test and that is why no posting in reply. Yes, the AMA accepts a test to prove gender at birth. But NO, there is no test to prove a person is born straight, no test to prove a person is born gay, no test to prove a person is born bi, no test to price a person is born lesbian.
Since it can't be done, your statement can't be true.

What purpose would it serve to determine someone's sexual orientation at birth? None.

People are free to be themselves without having to choose due to the pressure from the society.

Go talk to jillio, she has been asked over and over to post the medically accepted test name that proves your statement. The AMA has no such test and that is why no posting in reply. Yes, the AMA accepts a test to prove gender at birth. But NO, there is no test to prove a person is born straight, no test to prove a person is born gay, no test to prove a person is born bi, no test to price a person is born lesbian.
Since it can't be done, your statement can't be true.
End of story!

I've posted the medical information. Can'y you read the big words?:P

What test have you posted to show that you chose to be hetero?

Uh, the AMA doesn't practice. They don't have, or do, any tests.

You are confused. Gender cannot be determined at birth. Only chromosomal sex can.

What purpose would it serve to determine someone's sexual orientation at birth? None.

People are free to be themselves without having to choose due to the pressure from the society.

Exactly. However, there have been studies conducted on adults so we would know whether this was some sort of antiquated moral issue as Rolling claims, or if it is a biologically based situation. Evidently, his computer won't do searches for documents past the 1800's.

Just because animals perform homosexual acts with each other proves absolutely zero about human behaviors. They have nothing to do with each other. I think it's insulting to compare people to animals.

Nothing is more insulting than bible thumpers "witnessing" when they did not witness anything. I have and I do not preach. :roll:

Just because animals perform homosexual acts with each other proves absolutely zero about human behaviors. They have nothing to do with each other. I think it's insulting to compare people to animals.

Psst. Humans ARE animals.

we are mammals.

No wonder definitions are confusing. Even the dictionaries can't agree. Gender used to always refer to grammar, not biology. Since the 1960's, people started using "gender" as a substitute (incorrectly) for "sex."

gender [jen-der]  
noun
1.Grammar.
a.(in many languages) a set of classes that together include all nouns, membership in a particular class being shown by the form of the noun itself or by the form or choice of words that modify, replace, or otherwise refer to the noun, as, in English, the choice of he to replace the man, of she to replace the woman, of it to replace the table, of it or she to replace the ship. The number of genders in different languages varies from 2 to more than 20; often the classification correlates in part with sex or animateness. The most familiar sets of genders are of three classes (as masculine, feminine, and neuter in Latin and German) or of two (as common and neuter in Dutch, or masculine and feminine in French and Spanish).
b.one class of such a set.
c.such classes or sets collectively or in general.
d.membership of a word or grammatical form, or an inflectional form showing membership, in such a class.
2.sex: the feminine gender.
3.Archaic. kind, sort, or class.

Origin: 1300–50; Middle English < Middle French gendre, genre < Latin gener- (stem of genus) kind, sort

gender (ˈdʒɛndə)
—n
1. See also natural gender a set of two or more grammatical categories into which the nouns of certain languages are divided, sometimes but not necessarily corresponding to the sex of the referent when animate
2. any of the categories, such as masculine, feminine, neuter, or common, within such a set
3. informal the state of being male, female, or neuter
4. informal all the members of one sex: the female gender
[C14: from Old French gendre, from Latin genus kind]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009

c.1300, from O.Fr. gendre, from stem of L. genus (gen. generis) "kind, sort, gender," also "sex" (see genus); used to translate from Gk. Aristotle's grammatical term genos. As sex took on erotic qualities in 20c., gender came to be used for "sex of a human being," often in feminist writing with reference to social attributes as much as biological qualities; this sense first attested 1963.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

gen·der definition
Pronunciation: /ˈjen-dər/ Function: n
1 : SEX 12 : the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2007 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

gender gen·der (jěn'dər) n.

The sex of an individual, male or female, based on reproductive anatomy.

Sexual identity, especially in relation to society or culture.

The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary

Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

gender definition
A grammatical category indicating the sex, or lack of sex, of nouns and pronouns. The three genders are masculine, feminine, and neuter. He is a masculine pronoun; she is a feminine pronoun; it is a neuter pronoun. Nouns are classified by gender according to the gender of the pronoun that can substitute for them. In English, gender is directly indicated only by pronouns.

The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition
Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Animal behaviour has been studied for decades upon decades. Through these studies we are continually learning numerous similarities between animals and humans. Innate behaviour that was once only attributed to humans has been found to be evidient in certain animals as well (the use of tools by primates as well as Grandin Temple's contribution to the cattle industry are two examples that come immediately to mind). I have no problem being compared to animals and, I like to think, some comparisons are completely accurate - I do have the memory of an elephant, am loyal as a horse, grieve like a chimpanzee, have the empathy of a rhesus monkey. Now if just had the energy of a squirrel in autumn, I would be thrilled! haha

Well dang it. You better not take any medicines or have any surgical procedures that were perfected on animals. They have nothing to do with us.

Humans are not indispensable. If we become extinct, the world will not miss us. On the other hand, amino acids are a must have. :lol:

Animal behaviour has been studied for decades upon decades. Through these studies we are continually learning numerous similarities between animals and humans. Innate behaviour that was once only attributed to humans has been found to be evidient in certain animals as well (the use of tools by primates as well as Grandin Temple's contribution to the cattle industry are two examples that come immediately to mind). I have no problem being compared to animals and, I like to think, some comparisons are completely accurate - I do have the memory of an elephant, am loyal as a horse, grieve like a chimpanzee, have the empathy of a rhesus monkey. Now if just had the energy of a squirrel in autumn, I would be thrilled! haha

Whether people like it or not, a rat's brain and a human's brain are strikingly similar in both composition and response to stimuli.

Animals engage in homosexual behavior, humans engage in homosexual behavior. Looks like a pattern to me.

Interesting. There are also numerous studies showing the effects of overcrowding humans in a confined space. Did I say humans? After a while, you wouldn't think so.

Do you pitch poop at passers-by like a baboon?

Do you eat out of the kitty litter box like a dog? Do you drink out of a toilet?

No wonder definitions are confusing. Even the dictionaries can't agree. Gender used to always refer to grammar, not biology. Since the 1960's, people started using "gender" as a substitute (incorrectly) for "sex."

gender [jen-der]  
noun
1.Grammar.
a.(in many languages) a set of classes that together include all nouns, membership in a particular class being shown by the form of the noun itself or by the form or choice of words that modify, replace, or otherwise refer to the noun, as, in English, the choice of he to replace the man, of she to replace the woman, of it to replace the table, of it or she to replace the ship. The number of genders in different languages varies from 2 to more than 20; often the classification correlates in part with sex or animateness. The most familiar sets of genders are of three classes (as masculine, feminine, and neuter in Latin and German) or of two (as common and neuter in Dutch, or masculine and feminine in French and Spanish).
b.one class of such a set.
c.such classes or sets collectively or in general.
d.membership of a word or grammatical form, or an inflectional form showing membership, in such a class.
2.sex: the feminine gender.
3.Archaic. kind, sort, or class.

Origin: 1300–50; Middle English < Middle French gendre, genre < Latin gener- (stem of genus) kind, sort

gender (ˈdʒɛndə)
—n
1. See also natural gender a set of two or more grammatical categories into which the nouns of certain languages are divided, sometimes but not necessarily corresponding to the sex of the referent when animate
2. any of the categories, such as masculine, feminine, neuter, or common, within such a set
3. informal the state of being male, female, or neuter
4. informal all the members of one sex: the female gender
[C14: from Old French gendre, from Latin genus kind]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009

c.1300, from O.Fr. gendre, from stem of L. genus (gen. generis) "kind, sort, gender," also "sex" (see genus); used to translate from Gk. Aristotle's grammatical term genos. As sex took on erotic qualities in 20c., gender came to be used for "sex of a human being," often in feminist writing with reference to social attributes as much as biological qualities; this sense first attested 1963.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper

gen·der definition
Pronunciation: /ˈjen-dər/ Function: n
1 : SEX 12 : the behavioral, cultural, or psychological traits typically associated with one sex

Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2007 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

gender gen·der (jěn'dər) n.

The sex of an individual, male or female, based on reproductive anatomy.

Sexual identity, especially in relation to society or culture.

The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary

Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

gender definition
A grammatical category indicating the sex, or lack of sex, of nouns and pronouns. The three genders are masculine, feminine, and neuter. He is a masculine pronoun; she is a feminine pronoun; it is a neuter pronoun. Nouns are classified by gender according to the gender of the pronoun that can substitute for them. In English, gender is directly indicated only by pronouns.

The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition
Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

We are not talking about gender as in grammar. We are discussing gender the social constuction of a set of behaviors considered by society to be appropriate for a specific sex. Sex is a biological construction. Generally accepted in all fields that have to do with the proper use of the term.

Do you pitch poop at passers-by like a baboon?

Do you eat out of the kitty litter box like a dog? Do you drink out of a toilet?

Not being 100% identical means not related? Interesting. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back