The Michigan Left

PowerON

Reaction score
I learn something new that it start adopted new street being fix here in one of Dallas's suburb.

What is The Michigan Left, in case you don't know. Here is the info.
Michigan Highways: The Michigan Left

From what I understand it help being effect on traffic when you try go left and you have to watch out on both 2-way lane. That make other car back you, being await for your ass move out.

michigan_left.gif

I've seen those in suburbs of Detroit when I visited there.

I learn something new that it start adopted new street being fix here in one of Dallas's suburb.

What is The Michigan Left, in case you don't know. Here is the info.
Michigan Highways: The Michigan Left

From what I understand it help being effect on traffic when you try go left and you have to watch out on both 2-way lane. That make other car back you, being await for your ass move out.

michigan_left.gif

That's stupid idea.

I like traffic circle over Michigan left. Some traffic circle don't need to stop unlike Michigan left. Most Europe and some Chicago have them. I love it and easy for control the traffic and good for your brake and gas.

Also, michigan left is pointless for semi-truck, trailer, RV, etc since they will take two lanes for turn right or u-turn.

There are many in Northern Virginia where streets are not very busy, and more traffic circles in Washington DC. Thank to L'Enfant from Paris who designed the DC map to make much less traffic. I like circle, easier that way to yield to other cars without making a full stop.

I asked Hubby about that. He was born and raised in Michigan. He said he never heard of the Michigan left. It didn't make sense to him. :lol:

That's stupid idea.

I like traffic circle over Michigan left. Some traffic circle don't need to stop unlike Michigan left. Most Europe and some Chicago have them. I love it and easy for control the traffic and good for your brake and gas.

Also, michigan left is pointless for semi-truck, trailer, RV, etc since they will take two lanes for turn right or u-turn.

There are many in Northern Virginia where streets are not very busy, and more traffic circles in Washington DC. Thank to L'Enfant from Paris who designed the DC map to make much less traffic. I like circle, easier that way to yield to other cars without making a full stop.

here's a confusing one. there are 2 types of circular road - traffic circle and roundabouts. The one at DC is called roundabouts. The one at Paris and NYC (Columbus Circle) is called traffic circle.

the difference between those two is that roundabout is smaller and slower. Most importantly - in roundabouts, the entering traffic must yield to traffic already in circle. The problem with roundabout is that the 18-wheelers, RV, or large vehicles cannot navigate through it and the problem with traffic circle is that it requires a large diameter but some roundabouts are big enough for trucks to get thru.

Traffic Circle is ineffectual and unsafe. It's old design. Roundabouts are replacing traffic circles.

About Michigan Left - plenty of it in NYC. I do it all the time. Michigan Left concept makes sense for high-volume traffic and large intersection. I'll explain why. Problem is - many intersections have 2 lanes and then as you approach closer to intersection, it splits into 3 short lanes - left lane goes left and center lane goes straight and right lane goes right. The left lane gets clogged because it's not easy to turn left at busy intersection so this creates backlog for 2-lanes. The center lane cannot go straight because of cars at left-turn lane so cars at center lane turn to right and then center but this is dangerous because of risk of accidents and road rage.

Solution? Michigan Left. You turn right and then make a left to make a U-turn and then ta-da! I love studying traffic system. That's what I want to go to grad school for.

Left-Turn especially at intersection is a nightmare for drivers. Left-Turn is one of major contributing factors to accidents and traffic jams. Michigan Left was a solution to it. Problem about it is... it's confusing to new drivers and to those who are not used to driving in high-volume traffic area. :dizzy: Roundabouts is intuitive and easy but it's not always a good solution.

I asked Hubby about that. He was born and raised in Michigan. He said he never heard of the Michigan left. It didn't make sense to him. :lol:

lol - chance is both of you have done Michigan Left. and most likely all of you ADers too.

lol - chance is both of you have done Michigan Left. and most likely all of you ADers too.
I don't recall using one in South Carolina. I've used either exit/entrance ramps or regular intersections, with or without lights, on divided highways. I don't recall ever doubling back or making U-turns at divided highway intersections. Maybe I just don't get out enough.

I don't recall using one in South Carolina. I've used either exit/entrance ramps or regular intersections, with or without lights, on divided highways. I don't recall ever doubling back or making U-turns at divided highway intersections. Maybe I just don't get out enough.

perhaps in NJ? NYC? CT? somewhere up north perhaps? :dunno:

here's a link to animated explanation of Michigan Left - http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/MDOT_Roads-Travel_mich_left_213414_7.swf (you have to click on buttons on left-bottom side). The purpose is - keep the traffic moving especially at intersection. The driving distance may be longer because you have to make 3 turns instead of 1 but your driving time is significantly reduced especially in busy intersection.

perhaps in NJ? NYC? CT? somewhere up north perhaps? :dunno:

here's a link to animated explanation of Michigan Left - http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdot/MDOT_Roads-Travel_mich_left_213414_7.swf (you have to click on buttons on left-bottom side). The purpose is - keep the traffic moving especially at intersection.
When we go to CT we usually drive a route that avoids NJ and NYC (we go mostly PA and upstate NY--it's a little longer but much calmer and fewer tolls). :lol:

I really don't recall that pattern in CT but I'll have to check. Most places in CT require getting off at the proper exit, then taking secondary roads.

When we go to CT we usually drive a route that avoids NJ and NYC (we go mostly PA and upstate NY--it's a little longer but much calmer and fewer tolls). :lol:
I do same when I go down to Virginia :lol: I avoided I-95 and took I-81 (via I-78 or sometimes I-80).

I really don't recall that pattern in CT but I'll have to check. Most places in CT require getting off at the proper exit, then taking secondary roads.
I think it's usually in local towns. I'm checking which state has it. Google search shows that Georgia, Texas, NJ, NY, and Illinois have adopted it. and North Carolina

State's first 'Michigan left turn' opens at Plano intersection | wfaa.com | Dallas - Fort Worth Local News

Michigan Left Superstreet - Leland, NC - North Brunswick Magazine - Life in Leland, NC - Brunswick County, NC

IndyStar.com | 'Michigan Left' might ease traffic crunch | The Indianapolis Star

I haven't done a Michigan Left, it surely does look like a waste of gas driving like that.

Another odd one... which is only in Melbourne, Australia... Hook turn.

600pxhookturn.png

See the red arrow number 2 on the map - that is Hook Turn. I have never done a hook turn.

More information about hook turn Hook Turn - How to Do the Melbourne Hook Turn

I haven't done a Michigan Left, it surely does look like a waste of gas driving like that.

600pxhookturn.png

See the red arrow number 2 on the map - that is Hook Turn. I have never done a hook turn.

Confused. I never heard about hook turn. Weird!

600pxhookturn.png

That is basically for the road where tram tracks are located - they are mostly located in the CBD and St Kilda

I love the roundabouts as we got a couple here. They're much more efficent and you almost barely have to stop. :)

I remember about Michigan Left in New Orleans.

here's a confusing one. there are 2 types of circular road - traffic circle and roundabouts. The one at DC is called roundabouts. The one at Paris and NYC (Columbus Circle) is called traffic circle.

the difference between those two is that roundabout is smaller and slower. Most importantly - in roundabouts, the entering traffic must yield to traffic already in circle. The problem with roundabout is that the 18-wheelers, RV, or large vehicles cannot navigate through it and the problem with traffic circle is that it requires a large diameter but some roundabouts are big enough for trucks to get thru.

Traffic Circle is ineffectual and unsafe. It's old design. Roundabouts are replacing traffic circles.

About Michigan Left - plenty of it in NYC. I do it all the time. Michigan Left concept makes sense for high-volume traffic and large intersection. I'll explain why. Problem is - many intersections have 2 lanes and then as you approach closer to intersection, it splits into 3 short lanes - left lane goes left and center lane goes straight and right lane goes right. The left lane gets clogged because it's not easy to turn left at busy intersection so this creates backlog for 2-lanes. The center lane cannot go straight because of cars at left-turn lane so cars at center lane turn to right and then center but this is dangerous because of risk of accidents and road rage.

Solution? Michigan Left. You turn right and then make a left to make a U-turn and then ta-da! I love studying traffic system. That's what I want to go to grad school for.

Left-Turn especially at intersection is a nightmare for drivers. Left-Turn is one of major contributing factors to accidents and traffic jams. Michigan Left was a solution to it. Problem about it is... it's confusing to new drivers and to those who are not used to driving in high-volume traffic area. :dizzy: Roundabouts is intuitive and easy but it's not always a good solution.

I just research and it said is DC NOT a Roundabout

Traffic Circles vs Roundabouts

Back