The lowest form of language

Whoopee for that teacher. But surely, that's a bit too much since for us, it's ASL or Spoken English, because we're in deaf/hearing perspective, not a teacher from regular school teaching students in 24 languages perspective.

Overcoming language barriers is still overcoming language barriers. And we are only limtied to ASL and spoken English by choice.

Overcoming language barriers is still overcoming language barriers. And we are only limtied to ASL and spoken English by choice.

Pressured to choose, no other choices due to feeble abilities, stubborness, and culture/community reason.

Those are "excuses" I've found from interacting with the deaf people of age 25-50 while ago in the past. I will not speak for younger age, because they are still learning of this.

Pig latin isn't even a real language. :roll:
O-say ue-tray! :lol:

Pig Latin has nothing to do with pigs and remarkably little in common with Latin, other than being a way of communicating. It is a coded way of talking, based on English and used chiefly by children who think or believe that this system allows them to speak without being understood by others. Parents whose children don’t know pig Latin have also been known to use it in order to speak “privately” in their children’s presence. The reference to Latin may simply be because using pig Latin has some of the same feel and effects of speaking another language in terms of secrecy, or because of the sound of the language. Children who don’t know pig Latin, but realize that it’s a way of speaking that they don’t understand, may imitate the sound of pig Latin by adding long a sounds to the ends of words.

There are several different methods or rule sets for creating pig Latin, and while there are certain elements that are pretty standard in the various versions, other elements may differ. Capitalization is generally used, as in English, for the first letter of sentences, the first letter of proper nouns, and other words that are customarily capitalized. The use of the sound and letters ay is pretty consistent, but not universal. Note that more distant variants use other vowel sounds, and may add a vowel sound after every syllable rather than after every word. Whether or not to use hyphens before the material added to the end is another matter on which practitioners differ – since pig Latin is primarily a spoken language, it doesn’t always come up.

The rules by which the words are actually changed is another matter in which some elements are fairly universal, while other elements differ. It seems to be generally agreed upon that words that begin with a consonant, or a consonant blend or digraph, have all the consonants before the first vowel shifted to the end of the word, followed by ay. In addition, when a word begins with qu, the u is shifted along with the q.
English Pig Latin
language anguage-lay
pig Latin ig-pay Atin-lay
write ite-wray
quote ote-quay

The differences between different versions often center on how words that begin with a vowel are handled. Though it is agreed that something is added to the end, there are differences of opinion about what it should be. Some options are:

1. Simply add ay to the end of any word beginning with a vowel.
English Pig Latin
enormous enormous-ay

2. Add ay to the end of any word beginning with a vowel, with a specified consonant in front of it, forming hay, way, or yay.
English Pig Latin
enormous enormous-hay
enormous enormous-way
enormous enormous-yay

It is interesting that, as pig Latin has been passed down through the generations, a few words have passed into English, notably ixnay for nix, meaning “no.” Today, pig Latin may be most well known among certain people for being one of the languages — along with “Elmer Fudd,” “Hacker,” “Klingon,” and “Bork, bork, bork!” — that you can choose in the Google language interface. This choice enables you to do a “Google Earchsay” in “Igpay Atinlay.”
What is Pig Latin?

Latin is a dead language. No one speaks Latin as his native language, and this has been the case for more than a millennium. In fact most teachers of Latin, even very good ones, cannot say more than a few sentences of Latin in succession. Latin has not been required for admissions into American universities for more than a century

The Latin Language: Dead or Alive? by Terrence Moore

Not that this will convince a closed mind, but it explains what a dead language means.
Correct you are. Latin is no longer a native language.

It's still an interesting language to study. It helps one's understanding of other Romance languages and the roots of many English words. Also, I find it helpful when I need to interpret or spell medical and legal terms.

I took only one year of Latin as a freshman in high school but it still comes in handy.

Catholic masses used to be in Latin when I was a youngster but since I wasn't Catholic it didn't impact me when they switched.

... I only wanted a war on a subject. I was getting to bored. All the statements and facts given by everyone is not wrong. It is true and right, but why deny and reject when one is wrong or right? It's simply a perspective and I'm not being emotional, I'm just being dark and stubborn.

:hmm: I think that speaks for itself. :giggle:

... If one wanted to understand what one says in ASL, one would explain it in English so therefore, ASL and English are basically the same, but ASL are much less structured unlike English.

ASL is not less structured, it is just structured different. Check out this powerpoint on Sign Language Linguistics, might make it easier for you to understand the very basics.
http://web.mac.com/swilcox/UNM/Courses_files/ASL%20Linguistics.pdf

I started my job this morning at 8am and I just got on AD and I've been on it for more than 2 hours, hahaha, I am not bored at all. :)

What a nice boss you have. He paid you to play mind games for entertainment instead of being productive? ;)

I do use ASL.

It's interesting that you would continue to use a language you look down on so much. :hmm:

I have nothing really to contribute to this thread that hasnt already been said but if i had deaf children, ASL or SEE, theyre not gonna grow up to write like retards with a 5th grade vocabulary by age 21. If they pull that off, they can be ASL-happy all they want :)

Imdeafsowhat ... why do you hate yourself??

I don't hate me.

I hate humans.

MUCH DIFFERENCE IN THAT.

SKOREAPV- Of course, the written must be better than spoken language, because in words, it can mean a lot of things, so you want to be more specific on what you are trying to say. Beside if there was a lowest form of all language, ASL would be it. But you are right, there isn't any level or form of languages, there are differences and similiarities. You see, people who typed up essays, stories, and books actually wrote the same thing more than once, probably more than 10 times, because its structure is the most vulerable of all languages. You want it to be beautiful, strong, and convincing. But when you speak, it is different, you aren't really taking your time to speak, you are actually speaking out loud what your mind is saying. But if one was able to conquer the world by speaking, he would be the devil with the silver tongue. What a sly devil that fool would be.

Beside, thanks for saving my thread! WOO WOO!

I must mention, my written English is far better than my spoken English. It always has been since I first mastered written English in 1989.

I feel exactly the same way. I'm able to express myself much better in writing than spoken English. This has always been the case for as long as I can remember.

For on my part, I usually talk much better in ASL than I could in written English. Feel free to call me a Deaf (with capt D). :lol:

Why do we pay attention to "imdeafsowhat"? We should all know by now that most of his statements are not research based, but merely his opinions. We should all know by now that he does things like this to bring attention to himself. He does not maintain a respectable status here on AllDeaf. Ignore him.

Why do we pay attention to "imdeafsowhat"? We should all know by now that most of his statements are not research based, but merely his opinions. We should all know by now that he does things like this to bring attention to himself. He does not maintain a respectable status here on AllDeaf. Ignore him.

forums are here to discuss perspectives, aka opinions. Doesnt matter if it seems excessive or even fucking ridiculous. Its his opinion after all, and i at least can respect that.

Back