The Last Stand for the Deaf in California

Hmm...calling FJ, who is a mother, a "kid" sure sounds like a snide remark to me and taking a pot shot at her for no reasons.

sounds like a wolf cry? :dunno:

Wirelessly posted

the point is, 90% of deaf 11th graders at california school for the deaf can't read.

i see that people here are choosing to put 100% of that blame on the parents and that is crap. Surely that school has some responsibilty.

i would NEVER send my child to a school were 90% of kids are failing, regardless of the excuses. That is a school that fails it's students.

How can you succeed if you never acquired the language in the first place? You do not acquire a language by going to school.

You are placing too much emphasis on schools.

Wirelessly posted

yes, parents are key. That is one of the PROBLEMS in deaf education. If a students language is not the same as the family's how can the family support the students learning? If a parent is still learning the language how do the teach the child academic material in that language?

Wirelessly posted

the point is, 90% of deaf 11th graders at california school for the deaf can't read.

i see that people here are choosing to put 100% of that blame on the parents and that is crap. Surely that school has some responsibilty.

i would NEVER send my child to a school were 90% of kids are failing, regardless of the excuses. That is a school that fails it's students.

Then there is something wrong with parents in California and the Department of Education as a whole. Just because it's so for California School for the Deaf, doesn't mean it's that way all over.

We are choosing to put 100% of the blame on the parents. Parents are only part of the problem. The parent is responsible for giving the child the head-start for school and to nurture and help them through the school years. The school should not have 100% of the responsibility to have the child reading or whatever. It is a shared responsibility between the parent and school for the child.

Wirelessly posted

yes, parents are key. That is one of the PROBLEMS in deaf education. If a students language is not the same as the family's how can the family support the students learning? If a parent is still learning the language how do the teach the child academic material in that language?

We aren't talking about teaching children how to write like Shakespeare. Teachers are able to refine the child's literacy skills, but it cannot be done if the parents don't do their duty. It is the parent's duty to ensure that the child has acquired a language by the age of five.

Wirelessly posted

And how can deaf children gain full access to a SPOKEN language? CIs are quite helpful but even they won't give a deaf child full access to a spoken language.

The mainstream schools were crappy where we lived in Missouri in handling things with my daughter and her learning disabilities. I withdrew both my kids and now still home school my kids. My daughter had been attending speech therapy, but was told she no longer needs it. She still, obviously, has her learning disabilities and I will most likely be teaching her until the day I die, but I am making the effort. The school could not get her to even learn anything. It's been me that does it. She spent more and more time in class, playing with toys and regulating oxygen for a friend with guidance from the "para-professional" and changing diapers on a wheelchair bound classmate. There were 4 of those all ion the same mainstreamed class.

The mainstream schools were crappy where we lived in Missouri in handling things with my daughter and her learning disabilities. I withdrew both my kids and now still home school my kids. My daughter had been attending speech therapy, but was told she no longer needs it. She still, obviously, has her learning disabilities and I will most likely be teaching her until the day I die, but I am making the effort. The school could not get her to even learn anything. It's been me that does it. She spent more and more time in class, playing with toys and regulating oxygen for a friend with guidance from the "para-professional" and changing diapers on a wheelchair bound classmate. There were 4 of those all ion the same mainstreamed class.

Sounds like the schools failed your daughter.

Wirelessly posted

My HEARING parents do sign in ASL BTW. Communicating with your children are the KEY in acquiring a SKILL in ANY language. ASL is my native language and English is my second. I'm bilingual and I don't see any harm in that.

Children MUST read massively in order to be able to have a good education.

Children MUST have good communication link with parents to have a good education.

Children MUST go to a good school to have a good education.

Children MUST have a positive motivation to have a good education.

Those are what I apply to my children, like what my parents did to me.

Do not blame a school singlehandedly out for poor Education.

Deaf education might be poor BECAUSE of ONE common denomination:

MOST Parents DO not communicate with their children effectively and left school to do the burden.

linuxgold just wanted you to visualize what some people are saying. you are accusing them of saying "parent's only"

There are about two main deaf school for the whole state of CA, and hearing parents of deaf children tend to focus more on oral. oral school, even public school deaf program, get more attention than deaf school all thoughout the state of CA. If those schools doesn't work out for these kids, then deaf schools get treated like a dumping ground for deaf children who are just learning ASL for the first time because no other method is working out for them. Worst, some of the parents have giving up on their children (as in working with them to help them improve in school because they have a hard time learning ASL after years of focusing on speech).

Sounds like the schools failed your daughter.

Very much so. She's 16 and we have to go over grades 3-7 again this year. She can't retain the information and forgets. We do school year-round and that doesn't help. I get to find creative ways for her to learn some things. It's been fun at times. Nothing gets the point across for math and science (some parts) like cooking. :giggle:

My HEARING parents do sign in ASL BTW. Communicating with your children are the KEY in acquiring a SKILL in ANY language. ASL is my native language and English is my second. I'm bilingual and I don't see any harm in that.

Children MUST have good communication link with parents to have a good education.

MOST Parents DO not communicate with their children effectively and left school to do the burden.

my parents have done all above to me.

Pro-active Parenting - it's the only way.

This is how to teach ANY child, not only deaf children.

This year alone, we got 14 new students transferring from the public schools after falling behind. Almost all of them have CIs. Fj..pls explain how it is the Deaf school's fault? Think about it.

Oh..and anyone who blames deaf schools are basically saying that I am a bad teacher.

Back