The Last Stand for the Deaf in California

I attended a school for the deaf years ago. I can assure you that it was the parents who failed their children, not the schools. The teachers did what they could to help the children, but with the lack of participation from their parents, they couldn't do much.

My parents did everything they could to educate me in my early years and they succeeded at it. Otherwise, I wouldn't had gotten a scholarship for having the highest averages in the school.

Exactly the same here.

So, is Bi-Bi education a failure?

No, although they liken themselves to utilizing Bi Bi, technically it hasn't gotten off the ground or if it has, it hasn't had time to prove its worthiness....

I attended a school for the deaf years ago. I can assure you that it was the parents who failed their children, not the schools. The teachers did what they could to help the children, but with the lack of participation from their parents, they couldn't do much.

My parents did everything they could to educate me in my early years and they succeeded at it. Otherwise, I wouldn't had gotten a scholarship for having the highest averages in the school.

Exactly. And kudos to your and PFH's parents for making sure both of you could read well.

But you guys need to remember - The deaf schools do get the bad seed from the public schools usually..

And that's the data I've been looking for ever since. Percentages of students that came to the school at what age and for how long. Percentages of parents who are Deaf who send their Deaf kids to those schools versus percentages of parents who are hearing who send their deaf/hh kids to those schools. What are the percentages of teachers who are Deaf that run those classes versus those whose ASL are not a proficient? That's what I want to know before making any further analysis. Still, it doesn't look good.

But you guys need to remember - The deaf schools do get the bad seed from the public schools usually..

Oh, I can testify to that one. My school had a good number of them which really pulled down the averages among the students.

For what it is worth, did you know that, in the grocery business, all boxed goods, etc that give directions for preparing, etc their product is written for 4th graders? :D

I remember meeting one hearing woman who clearly couldn't read at first grade level when i worked as a packer.

Bad seeds? Then that would mean those school would get about 80 to 90 percent of the "bad seeds" enough to pull down the scores?? That'd be getting a bit farfetched there. I still want to see the data (if any) on statistics and demographics. More details are needed.

And that's the data I've been looking for ever since. Percentages of students that came to the school at what age and for how long. Percentages of parents who are Deaf who send their Deaf kids to those schools versus percentages of parents who are hearing who send their deaf/hh kids to those schools. What are the percentages of teachers who are Deaf that run those classes versus those whose ASL are not a proficient? That's what I want to know before making any further analysis. Still, it doesn't look good.

Good luck trying to find a study on that one. They need to do a national study on this one because it's badly needed.

Its quite apparent that you haven't spent a semester or so at a deaf school.
The bad seeds I am speaking of is these "trouble kids", these with multiple disabilities, or severely mentally challenged.

Tidbits of info are buried. You'd have to dig around and find them and make use of them in some form.

Bad seeds? Then that would mean those school would get about 80 to 90 percent of the "bad seeds" enough to pull down the scores?? That'd be getting a bit farfetched there. I still want to see the data (if any) on statistics and demographics. More details are needed.

Looks about right, sadly.

The bad seeds I am speaking of is these "trouble kids", these with multiple disabilities, or severely mentally challenged.

I'm interested in hard data. What's the make up of those types of kids compared to those with just a hearing loss as their only disability?

*nodding*

I have seen enough to know it's true. Basically, they treat these schools as if they are the dumping grounds for the students with problems.

I believe he have, but during college time, where the bad seeds are on the side. I agree what you just said about the bad seeds that I have been growing with. I have seen enough. :|

I believe he have, but during college time, where the bad seeds are on the side. I agree what you just said about the bad seeds that I have been growing with. I have seen enough. :|

Yeah, he went to Gallaudet. I don't think he went to a deaf school for k-12 education.

Data, please. FOIA is a good idea though these are state schools, not at the federal level.

Yeah, he went to Gallaudet. I don't think he went to a deaf school for k-12 education.

Never went to a deaf school. Thank god. I just went to Gallaudet University. Even then I noticed a good percentage of new students had to take English 50or other higher up remedial courses where a majority of them did not have additional disabilities.
:hmm:

I'm sure you'd see a similar pattern except that entrance requirements have become a bit more stricter.

Back