The CI for children issue (My POV)

Faire_jour...............then we basicly all agree 100% I think most of your defensiveness may be b/c all the reading you've been doing on oral education has tapped some of your anxiety issues. It's OK.......the language they use is very psychologically designed to tap into the anxiety issues. It'll be OK....As long as Kat gets instruction and intervention, she'll do well. It's not like you're doing nothing. I think that the pro oral propaganda is designed to make you think that if you don't make every single mintute into an oral teaching moment, then your kid won't develop well.
Just remember that many of the kids who are doing REALLY REALLY well may be either gifted or from families where overachievement/ overprogramming is the norm. As I said above, it's very rare that oral skills/abilty 100% equalizes a dhh kid. Most kids will have useful oral skills.......which is good.

THAT is AWESOME!!!!! I have to say that I think that most dhh kids need to be carefully monitored. In the mainstream it's like " Oh we'll give you mimimal accomondations and if you don't do well withthose we're gonna condemn you to the Resource Room with those kids who are all " Who's President Obama?"
I am very happy you're openminded in that sense...........wish more hearing parents were...

I find that there are certain posters that try to disagree with everything that I say, whether we agree or not. That leads to me getting pissy, and things getting ugly.

I think that we do all agree, and I have no idea why certain people attack me and my child personally, rather than actually talking about the subject matter.

I keep coming back to see if anyone has anything to say about the subject of this thread. It appears to be about a totally different issue now.

Ron

I keep coming back to see if anyone has anything to say about the subject of this thread. It appears to be about a totally different issue now.

Ron

How about this:

Parents have the right to make the best decision for their child. There is nothing wrong with giving you child the ability to hear.

Hear here!!!

I agree. When a procedure or device can restore some of their hearing then it should be done. HA's and CI's can always taken off in the unlikely event that they grow up and just decide they don't want to hear anymore.

Any no, speech isn't the only issue here. It's an important one but it's not all there is to hear in the world. Just hearing the door bell, a knock on the door or something heavy falling near by can be a helpful sense to have in life.

I'm now awaiting my activation day and it's the small sounds like this that I long to hear again. They are the things that I will find most helpful in life to be able to hear again. I've gone the last 20 years of my life without sound. I know the benefits of ASL, lip reading, etc.. But the first half of my life I was hearing. I know what it's like on both sides of this issue. And I'm telling you that there are benefits to just being able to hear everyday sounds. If there's a way someone can hear, even a little, it can be a benefit to them. So please don't throw the "It's to late" or "they still won't have full hearing ability". I and everyone in here knows that.

Can we get by without being able to hear? Sure, of course we can. Some of the smartest and most successful people I know are deaf. Take my friend Simon Carmel for example ([ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kydKugj2ao4"]Watch a video of him here[/ame]). This man is a doctor, written books (I'm in this one) , travels the world and he can't hear anything. So I'm not saying a deaf person cannot be successful. I'm simply saying that life, in the real world, is much, much easier when you can hear and if there's a way to give someone this ability to hear then they should look into it and make their educated decision. Not to listen to the Anti-Ci debate that comes from inside the deaf culture.

I know many deaf people who have deaf children who didnt implant their children and they get called bad parents or get harrassed by hearing people. One of my friends in PA is a deaf mom with two deaf children and she put them in an oral-only program only to pull her children out because of the pressures she got from the people there about implanting her children. She described many sleepless nights crying and so stressed out. Hearing people can be just as bad too.

No one is persecuting you here, FJ, despite some jaw-dropping, insensitive comments about the deaf community on your part. It's not all about you.

I find that there are certain posters that try to disagree with everything that I say, whether we agree or not. That leads to me getting pissy, and things getting ugly.

I think that we do all agree, and I have no idea why certain people attack me and my child personally, rather than actually talking about the subject matter.

FJ,

I think that you do have an idea its because you chose to make a decision for your child to have an implant that is opposed by a few posters on this forum and also because you do not subscribe to the theory that there is only one way to raise deaf child.

It is predictable that they eventually attack your child and the way you have chosen to raise her. It is interesting because you, more then most others, are truly raising Miss Kat to get the benefits of both worlds. Ignore her, the more she attacks it just shows that she must have questions about the path she chose.
Rick

Parents have the right to make the best decision for their child. There is nothing wrong with giving you child the ability to hear.
Yes......but what is the "best decision?" My parents thought that they were making the best decision for me to be oral only and mainstreamed to the max. Fast forward many years, and they now look back and say they wish they'd sent me to a deaf school and given me ASL PLUS the advantages of speech abilty and the hearing world.
I wish that pro oral propaganda didn't contain a HUGE dose of " healthy normal child" psychology.........If it was more " Your kid can have speech abilty among other things" ....but they promote it as " speech abilty 100% equalizes dhh kids. Many parents believe that, and in turn it can really wreak havoc on a dhh kid's psych...............god, I wish those pro-oralists could spend a day as a kid who is just paddling in the mainstream....I think they'd change their tune.

Yes......but what is the "best decision?" My parents thought that they were making the best decision for me to be oral only and mainstreamed to the max. Fast forward many years, and they now look back and say they wish they'd sent me to a deaf school and given me ASL PLUS the advantages of speech abilty and the hearing world.
I wish that pro oral propaganda didn't contain a HUGE dose of " healthy normal child" psychology.........If it was more " Your kid can have speech abilty among other things" ....but they promote it as " speech abilty 100% equalizes dhh kids. Many parents believe that, and in turn it can really wreak havoc on a dhh kid's psych...............god, I wish those pro-oralists could spend a day as a kid who is just paddling in the mainstream....I think they'd change their tune.

It seems like many parents think that it must be one way or the other when it can be both as FJ's daughter is a living example of getting both. Wish more parents would do that.

No one, but no one has attacked you or your child personally. In fact, it has virtually nothing to do with you or your child. It is the simple fact that some of your posts are grossly innacurrate, and need to be corrected. They are innacurrate in relation to the topic being discussed.

I know many deaf people who have deaf children who didnt implant their children and they get called bad parents or get harrassed by hearing people. One of my friends in PA is a deaf mom with two deaf children and she put them in an oral-only program only to pull her children out because of the pressures she got from the people there about implanting her children. She described many sleepless nights crying and so stressed out. Hearing people can be just as bad too.

Oops. Double post.

Bingo. We can dig out the archives where I was told by a couple of hearing people who post in this forum that I was a neglectful, bad, and uncaring parent who took the easy way out by not implanting my son. They never seem to remember all the mud they have slung. And they are still confusing objection to an oral only environment to objection to CI.

One parent of a pre-k is alredy going out in one city to advocate for the deaf school and deaf children because her granddaughter is thriving in our program. I think she was the big reason for the 20 plus kids transferring to our program this year. We need MORE parents like her.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to get the word out about how awesome the deaf school/formal program experiance can be.
They really are underutlized.......hahahahhaha wouldn't it be funny if your school got some "AG Bad" stereotypical students,(the type who would go to NTID) and they converted their parents (one big reason why many AG Bad parents aren't super psyched about deaf schools is b/c they believe they are bad academicly.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need to get the word out about how awesome the deaf school/formal program experiance can be.
They really are underutlized.......

Yes! We LOVE our daughter's school (you pegged it, deafdyke: TLC in Framingham, MA)! It seems the best of all worlds: lots of deaf culture, exposure to deaf leaders, teachers, role models, peers, lifelong friends and seemingly complete acceptance of all modes, including our particular choice to add spoken language to the mix by using cochlear implants for access to sound. I love that Li-Li is picking up all that incidental learning on the playground among such a wide range of deaf kids. And I'm thrilled that she also gets SLP services within her classes and in one on one sessions, there's a soundfield in place, and the teachers know her CI equipment like the back of their hands. There's so much personal attention, for example, her school SLP even comes with us to mapping sessions, her CI clinic audiologist previously worked at the school: completely integrating her experience and providing real, informed assessment of what works and what doesn't in the real world.

The school's program is evolving to meet the various needs, and I imagine it must be a tough challenge to make the community inclusive and yet provide so many specialized services. PreK is one thing, but it will be fascinating to see if they can continue to provide this amazing environment as Li-Li grows older. I think a lot will depend upon retaining and growing the population of kids with similar needs. The PIP and early intervention programs are great ways to bring new parents of deaf kids into the fold. It really gets my goat when people refer to deaf schools as 'dumping grounds' for CI failures: that gets propagated online and people don't realize how amazing these schools can be.

Yes! We LOVE our daughter's school (you pegged it, deafdyke: TLC in Framingham, MA)! It seems the best of all worlds: lots of deaf culture, exposure to deaf leaders, teachers, role models, peers, lifelong friends and seemingly complete acceptance of all modes, including our particular choice to add spoken language to the mix by using cochlear implants for access to sound. I love that Li-Li is picking up all that incidental learning on the playground among such a wide range of deaf kids. And I'm thrilled that she also gets SLP services within her classes and in one on one sessions, there's a soundfield in place, and the teachers know her CI equipment like the back of their hands. There's so much personal attention, for example, her school SLP even comes with us to mapping sessions, her CI clinic audiologist previously worked at the school: completely integrating her experience and providing real, informed assessment of what works and what doesn't in the real world.

The school's program is evolving to meet the various needs, and I imagine it must be a tough challenge to make the community inclusive and yet provide so many specialized services. PreK is one thing, but it will be fascinating to see if they can continue to provide this amazing environment as Li-Li grows older. I think a lot will depend upon retaining and growing the population of kids with similar needs. The PIP and early intervention programs are great ways to bring new parents of deaf kids into the fold. It really gets my goat when people refer to deaf schools as 'dumping grounds' for CI failures: that gets propagated online and people don't realize how amazing these schools can be.

It really infuriates me too.

I did my student teaching internship at TLC..wonderful wonderful school. I think any deaf child who is struggling being mainstreamed are missing out a great opportunity.

Bingo. We can dig out the archives where I was told by a couple of hearing people who post in this forum that I was a neglectful, bad, and uncaring parent who took the easy way out by not implanting my son. They never seem to remember all the mud they have slung. And they are still confusing objection to an oral only environment to objection to CI.

How is learning a new language and getting involved in a strange community for the sake of your son the easy way out? Such idiot comments. lol

:|

PreK is one thing, but it will be fascinating to see if they can continue to provide this amazing environment as Li-Li grows older. I think a lot will depend upon retaining and growing the population of kids with similar needs. The PIP and early intervention programs are great ways to bring new parents of deaf kids into the fold. It really gets my goat when people refer to deaf schools as 'dumping grounds' for CI failures: that gets propagated online and people don't realize how amazing these schools can be.
Oh it'll continue! TLC is an excellent school. There are some pretty damn good academic deaf schools...........One good thing about deaf schools is that they always have a significent population of academic kids. But yeah..........even the schools that aren't known for academic prowress have great EI and early ed programs.
And I mean I bet you anything there are a lot more dhh kids who are doing mediorcly in the mainstream, who would BLOOM at a school for the deaf.

Back