The CI for children issue (My POV)

I love when you clearly show your ass. You just admitted that you believe that there is one single right way to raise a deaf child. You believe that no mtter what, everyone MUST attend a bi-bi school, otherwise they are damaging their child.

I hope everyone sees it clearly.

You have just implied that my child will be damaged by learning spoken language. She' not. She's doing wonderfully, but thanks for the judgement on something you know nothing about.

My parents thought I was doing wonderfully..children are good at hiding anything that could upset their parents. I would be careful with that.

No. My daughter is age appropriate in her academics, she can communicate with her peers and her teachers as well. She also has access to ASL everyday at school and at home. She is bilingual. She is reading, writing, and speaking English AND signing ASL.

Then your daughter is fine...but there are still many deaf children put in restrictive environments for the sake of developing oral skills.

My parents thought I was doing wonderfully..children are good at hiding anything that could upset their parents. I would be careful with that.

Bingo. This is the child's first year in an academic environment. Too soon to make such claims.

Then your daughter is fine...but there are still many deaf children put in restrictive environments for the sake of developing oral skills.

I agree. That is why it is so offensive when I am specifically attacked, as Jillio did in her posts.

I want ASL for all children, and I think we need a way to serve the kids whose parents also want spokn language.

If I could, I would enroll my hearing son at the deaf school because of the smaller classes, Bi-Bi education, and less worries about school violence especially for him being a boy and all.

1st grade.... second year.

wait til she get to third grade or 4th grade. That the hardest part... if they get by that grade, then I think they will ok. 3rd or 4th grade is when teachers start noticing some kids need Ritalin because they are falling behind (due to more responsibilities and very little help from the teacher and such). first grade is easy.

wait til she get to third grade or 4th grade. That the hardest part... if they get by that grade, then I think they will ok. 3rd or 4th grade is when teachers start noticing some kids need Ritalin because they are falling behind (due to more responsibilities and such). first grade is easy.

That's the most common age of the large transfers we get from the public schools . This year, we got over 20 new middle school kids transferred from the public schools. That's a very large number for one school year.

That's also the age where they start sending kids to special education because they acknowledge their learning disability

That's also the age where they start sending kids to special education because they acknowledge their learning disability

Also that's the age when they switch from "learning to read" to "reading to learn". Very hard transition for many children to make and virtually impossible for those with language delays or deficits.

3rd grade is the most important year for all students (hearing or deaf). This is when learning delays are typically diagnosed. I've seen kids fly through 1st and 2nd grade only to find a reading problem in 3rd grade. That's the prefect time to plan interventions.

I would also be wary of a child who seems to be too perfect or too willing to please. Sometimes, a kid projects a false face and has emotional/social problems later. The child should act out at home occasionally, too. That's how the child learns boundaries and emotional/social skills. Emotionally healthy children will behave at school and act out at home. Who else but mom can you trust to see your worst behavior and still know she loves you?

I agree. That is why it is so offensive when I am specifically attacked, as Jillio did in her posts.

I want ASL for all children, and I think we need a way to serve the kids whose parents also want spokn language.

You see offense because you are continually on the defensive. Tells me you aren't as sure of what you say as you would like us to believe.:cool2:

You have not been attacked. You have been corrected. They are not one and the same.:roll:

wait til she get to third grade or 4th grade. That the hardest part... if they get by that grade, then I think they will ok. 3rd or 4th grade is when teachers start noticing some kids need Ritalin because they are falling behind (due to more responsibilities and very little help from the teacher and such). first grade is easy.

Exactly. 4th grade is considered to be a crucial time for assessing delays.

3rd grade is the most important year for all students (hearing or deaf). This is when learning delays are typically diagnosed. I've seen kids fly through 1st and 2nd grade only to find a reading problem in 3rd grade. That's the prefect time to plan interventions.

I would also be wary of a child who seems to be too perfect or too willing to please. Sometimes, a kid projects a false face and has emotional/social problems later. The child should act out at home occasionally, too. That's how the child learns boundaries and emotional/social skills. Emotionally healthy children will behave at school and act out at home. Who else but mom can you trust to see your worst behavior and still know she loves you?

That was exactly what I did. I was the "perfect" child and never caused problems for my parents but by 8th grade, I was drinking and ditching class. In high school, I had to get drunk to be able to function at social events. I could have done worse but I was too chicken. Then in my 20s, I engaged in self-destructive behaviors trying to "fit" in only to fail year after year. I was dying inside from being in a restrictive environment with my needs not getting met 24/7. It was horrible.

Most assessments will occur at the end of the 3rd grade year, and recommendations for changes made to begin in the 4th grade year. Not correcting you, as you stated it correctly. Just clarifying, especially in regard to the issue of IEP goals and recs.

That was exactly what I did. I was the "perfect" child and never caused problems for my parents but I was drinking and ditching class in high school. I could have done worse but I was too chicken. Then in my 20s, I engaged in self-destructive behaviors trying to "fit" in only to fail year after year. I was dying inside from being in a restrictive environment with my needs not getting met 24/7. It was horrible.

Yep. Most parents only look for clues to disturbed functioning as a negative. It can be something that appears as a positive, as well.

And that is why we are keeping our eyes open and all modes of communication avaliable.

I think middle school is a really hard part. With all the changes, needing to fit in, etc.

We have never ever closed the door to her gpoing back to the bi-bi school. In fact, next year they are hoping to start a high school program, I couldn't be happier! To know that the option of a Deaf high school could be there, easies a lot of worries about the future.

Back