The Bible Says Earth is Flat

Status
Not open for further replies.
*chanting* I BELIEVE! I BELIEVE! *chanting*

EARTH IS FLAT!!!

This thread is in wrong place, and It should be inside the debate group.

I doubt they literally meant it's flat. But even if they did mistakenly believe it was until it was proven otherwise, so what?

LOL...I believe, too. :dunno: Hey, long as it's liveable, right?

Well

White people should have stay their ASS in Europe.
Then Indians would have America all to themselves.
And We Blacks would have nice time in Africa in grass skirts.

:afro:

Christopher Columbus must be in hell right now.

Tousi said:
I doubt they literally meant it's flat. But even if they did mistakenly believe it was until it was proven otherwise, so what?

So what? This puts a lot of people in their places.
You know whom I am referring to.
They are rather liberal in quoting the Bible to "prove" their points regarding certain issues, and this proves that not everything in the Bible is to be taken as fact.

4 corners

east, west, north, and south.

The Angels did stand in 4 corners. Even the Astrologers know this...

Aldebaran - Bull's North Eye A Royal Star. The archangel Michael, the Watcher of the East. Gemini.

Fomalhaut - A Royal Star. Archangel Gabriel, the Watcher of the South. Pisces.

Antares - Heart of the Scorpion A Royal Star. The Archangel Oriel, the Watcher of the West. Sagittarius.

Regulus - Lion's Heart The most Royal Star. Raphael, the Healing Archangel, the Watcher of the North. Leo.
:thumb:

Atheists make such a big deal out of nothing, They need to STOP
picking on us Christians and go help people in Africa or something.

*in deep voice*

"Welcome to the Twilight Zone."

Beowulf, I hear what you are trying to prove here very clearly.

*Sighing*

I had no doubt of that whatsoever, Meg.

Isaiah 40:22

"It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth..."

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c034.html

Later Writers Repeated the Error

In 1834, the anti-Christian Letronne falsely claimed that most of the Church Fathers, including Augustine, Ambrose and Basil, held to a flat Earth. His work has been repeatedly cited as "reputable" ever since.
In the late nineteenth century, the writings of John William Draper and Andrew Dickson White were responsible for promoting the myth that the church taught a flat Earth. Both had Christian backgrounds, but rejected these early in life.

Englishman Draper convinced himself that with the downfall of the Roman Empire the 'affairs of men fell into the hands of ignorant and infuriated ecclesiastics, parasites, eunuchs and slaves' — these were the 'Dark Ages'. Draper's work, History of the Conflict between Religion and Science (1874), was directed particularly against the Roman Church, and was a best seller.

Meanwhile White (who founded Cornell University as the first explicitly secular university in the United States), published the two-volume scholarly work History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom, in 1896.

Both men incorrectly portrayed a continuing battle through the Christian era between the defenders of ignorance and the enlightened rationalists. In fact, not only did the church not promote the flat Earth, it is clear from such passages as Isaiah 40:22 that the Bible implies it is spherical. (Non-literal figures of speech such as the 'four corners of the Earth' are still used today.)

Last edited:
And... there's proof that the Bible is just one big made-up story that weird cult members choose to believe and follow. ;)

oh ok

I guess I can go kill myself, since there is no hell, no God, or anything.

And... disappoint the supreme being who rules the universe?

Beowulf said:
Cool. We gotta believe earth is flat or we go to hell.

http://www.albawabaforums.com/read.php3?f=5&i=89&t=89
Beowulf, Whoa.. I aint getta believe earth is flat..You know why? I knew earth is the round already. In thousand years ago, I walked on the land in dark night, my eye lift up toward the beautiful moon light which is the round. and I wake up in the morning, Sun rise, I barely look up at that. because my eye is pain, Sun is very bright deeply. but i could see that sun is round too. they told me that this earth is round as the same way like moon and sun will tell you in earth when you look them in day sky and night sky.. get it.. that is my truly beliefs!! there is no questions in your mind and my mind.. AMEN!!

TTT said:
I guess I can go kill myself, since there is no hell, no God, or anything.
Chose your weapon.
pr3217a_tn.jpg
noose.gif
grenade-us.gif
poison.gif
bottle-of-pills-2.jpg

Last edited:
First, the belief as to wether the earth is flat has nothing to do with Salvation.
Secondly, This does not prove that the Bible should not be taken as fact, it only proves that as a litteral work, it uses beautiful litteral techniques, and figures of speech.
Third, if you are are simply going to pass off everything that uses effective litteral techniques for emphasis, you are going to be left with little to believe in.

Let the rivers clap their hands, let the mountains sing together for joy; let them sing before the Lord, for he comes to judge the earth… (Psalm 98:8-9)

Rivers don't have hands, mountains can't sing, this is simply self evident. Most who read the Bible will have the common sense to understand this.
The Bible's teachings give no effort to try and prove the earth is flat or round. Most of the account's are historical, spiritual, and prophetic. Some are written in song, and poetry, and prayer. The meaning behind almost every verse regarding the corners of the earth is not to say that the earth is flat, but to say God is in control.

Let's look at a few quotes from Beowulf

Cool. We gotta believe earth is flat or we go to hell.

Literal interpretation, Beowulf believes that people who don't believe the earth is flat will go to hell. Beowulf believes in Hell. Beowulf believes this is cool.

This puts a lot of people in their places.

Beowulf believes that certain people have specific places where they need to be, and his statement has magically put them there.

If only litteral stuff can be taken as fact, then your sarcasm holds no truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back