The Benefits of Captioning for Hearing People

SJCSue

Reaction score
Do you know of any benefits of using captioning for hearing people?

SJCSue said:

I am hearing but my girlfriend is deaf I keep CC on all the time even when she isnt here, I never realized how much I actually missed of what people said until I saw it captioned.

I never realized how much I actually missed of what people said until I saw it captioned.

Bingo! Because many TV shows are super loud during action scenes and quiet to normal at other times most people pick a happy medium volume level. But this means sometimes you miss what people are saying when they are talking quiet or whispering during the show.

We also leave have CC on, on our bedroom TV. That way the volume can be low enough to fall asleep, but either one of us can still follow the program if we want.

Gobae said:
Bingo! Because many TV shows are super loud during action scenes and quiet to normal at other times most people pick a happy medium volume level. But this means sometimes you miss what people are saying when they are talking quiet or whispering during the show.

We also leave have CC on, on our bedroom TV. That way the volume can be low enough to fall asleep, but either one of us can still follow the program if we want.

totally i do the same thing with the tv in my room, and its also really nice when youre maybe listening to music or doing something else that that requires your ears, but you want to watch the news, or want to catch bits and peices of a show.

but it also makes me mad sometimes because i read the CC and say to my self "what the fuck they didnt just say that" and news CC always frustrates me, i really wish more comercials had CC.

I always keep the CC on because I find it easier to keep track of what's going on if I can read it while I'm watching it.

What everyone else said, plus it is very beneficial for people who are learning English as a second (or third, etc.) language.

All of the above, plus increasing reading skills for hearing kids.

Your Mom said:
I am hearing but my girlfriend is deaf I keep CC on all the time even when she isnt here, I never realized how much I actually missed of what people said until I saw it captioned.

Same here... I do catch alot more things with the CC going... At first it seemed to take from the images but now it seems to blend very well and I can read the words and see the images at the same time.. I have also gotten into watching tv without sound and having music playing... I have also sat down to watch tv with my girlfriend when she has the tv muted and followed along just as well as if I were hearing it. Only downfall I have seen with them is when they have words written on the screen and the CC company puts the captions on the bottom where they cover the words, names, title or whatever that is on the image instead of flipping them to the top real quick... GRR

I'm hearing impaired so I always keep closed caption on.

While I was watching Judge Joe Brown in Comcast HD Channel 232 (WTWC HD; known as NBC HD -- although not all shows in NBC are high definition), I heard National Weather Service who issued a flood advisory by a telephone-quality voice :)uhh: I hate it...why can't they just speak clearly through a microphone instead of telephone?). Know what? They didn't provide scrolling subtitles for those who are deaf, so by other means, I grabbed my BlackBerry 7290 and launched WeatherBug, a program that gives me weather information in my BlackBerry. I checked the Weather Alerts, but provided little information but only mentioned Flood Advisory Warning.

How do I get the message from National Weather Service? The normal TV sound gets cut off, then we hear the long, high-pitched sound. Next, a telephone quality voice begans to speak. After it finished, we hear three medium-pitched beeps, and the sound from the show that I am watching returns to normal. As I said, there's no subtitle in effect from the speech from National Weather Service.

So, my mom and I can barely (maybe almost) understand the telephone quality voice from National Weather Service, but my mom aren't hearing impaired, as my mom can understand the voice a bit better than I can, but not quite, so closed caption are always benifical to us, but for mom, it's not always required for her.

Captions and Nephews

I have four nephews (including the two-year old who I posted about a few days ago). At my house, there is always captions on tv. My sister has three sons (ages: 2,6,8 years) whom I see most often are used to having the captions.

About two years ago, my brother's son (who lives in New Orleans with single mother) was in New York to visit my family and I. He was over at my house when he told his grandfather (my dad) to "take the words off the tv". :ugh: :cry: I forgot what happened next! :eek2:

My children do not know how to read yet. But I find the caption a MUST!
I miss so much stuff. Some of the people's mouths are really hard to read. Music in the background, etc. I find it easier and less stressful trying to figure out what is going on in the movie. Now I can sit back and ENJOY it! :popcorn:

SJCSue said:
I like when it's on in crowded or loud rooms where you can't hear what is being said over the room noise.

rockdrummer said:
I like when it's on in crowded or loud rooms where you can't hear what is being said over the room noise.

My hubby is hearing, and he always uses the captions..He just gets too lazy to listen so he reads.

The closed captioning is a huge advantage to both deaf and hearing people for so many reasons that were already mentioned above. However there is one thing that I am frustrated with the closed captioning. When the cc is on and the words are coming across the screen - You'd notice the typos once in a while and the person who types the cc would backspace it to make it correct which means the information would be a little bit delayed. When it is delayed, it makes a huge difference retaining the process of what is being said on the television.

Another captions fan

I always keep the CC on because I find it easier to keep track of what's going on if I can read it while I'm watching it.

ABSOLUTELY!! I work second shift, so I get home when everyone else is asleep. After a long day, watching Dirty Jobs or Mythbusters helps me relax. I'd like to be able to watch more stuff, but I don't want to wake anyone up or get the dogs barking. Unfortunately I can't figure how to get captions on DirectTV.

Because I moved to south east Florida, I have to learn some spanish. (Way too many spanish speakers refuse to learn English.)

So I watch the Spanish version of Sesame Street (" Plaza Sesamo") and turn on the closed captioning. When the kids start singing a song about "adelante y atras" I look them up in the dictionary. Because Sesame Street has so much repetition, I will learn those words by the end of the 1/2 hour show.

The need to start a Haitian version of Sesame Street so I can go to the grocery store.

well. when someone is like talking in a different language or you can't understand them then cc tells you exactly what they are saying. like a few times i turned cc on so i could see what the lyrics to the theme song of this one show were.

the captioning for the spanish shows is in spanish.
Digital TV ("high-def") has selections in the controls to show the captioning in English when the audio is in spanish, but I have not found any channels where that works (yet?).

But it is still a very big help. Because when I hear a phrase in spanish, I am not sure what I heard so it is very hard to look it up. When I see the typed word, I look it up in the dictionary very quickly. Then I listen carefully to hear those words again so I can get used to how it sounds. Because I know I will hear it many times before the episode of Sesame Street is over.. The rules for pronouncing words in spanish are very simple. O always sounds like o. U always sounds like U. So we can figure out how to pronounce a word well enough that spanish speakers know what word we are trying to say.

English must be tough to learn though you bought a book to work through it.

In that sentence you see ough 4 times. It is pronounced differently in each word.

Sure. In a cafe, they typically have the volume turned all the way down on the TVs on the wall, so even hearing people are effectively deaf in that context.

On my computer, there's an application that will grab the captioning, so in theory I could write a program that pulls the TV screen window to the top whenever "football" shows up in the caption, or "NASCAR", or whatever.

the captioning for the spanish shows is in spanish.
Digital TV ("high-def") has selections in the controls to show the captioning in English when the audio is in spanish, but I have not found any channels where that works (yet?)

Even analog captioning allows for four caption services, so in theory they've been able to provide bilingual captioning for a long time. It's up to the people making the program to do it.

Back