The Benefits of Captioning for Hearing People

All of the above, plus increasing reading skills for hearing kids.

I agree with ya.. My ex mom in law always leave CC on for her kids to LEARN english better and improve with thier reading and it helped so just an suggestion..

i hate it when there is a comedy show on with comedians, and my parents and everyone else laughs before me if the captions are too slow - BUMMER!

Translation Captions

Because I moved to south east Florida, I have to learn some spanish. (Way too many spanish speakers refuse to learn English.)

The need to start a Haitian version of Sesame Street so I can go to the grocery store.
Hey, Alan, I also live in Florida. I live in Daytona. I'm new to the area, and the other day, I went to a gas station. I asked where I could buy some eggs, and the attendant didn't know. Almost none of the customers spoke English. Luckily, I speak Spanish, so I was able to make my way around. I went near Miami, the other day, and I was very surprized that the clerks understood people with a thick Haitian accent, very clearly, when I went to an electronics store, down there. I did not understand them, and I do not speak French, but the Florida Relay service does have both English to Spanish and English to French, so I can use it, if I need English to French.

Anyway, I edit Wikipedia. Here was something I added, the other day.
Some subtitlers purposely provide edited subtitles or captions, to match the needs of their audience, for learners of the spoken dialogue as a second or foreign language, visual learners, beginning readers who are deaf or hard-of-hearing and for people with learning and/or mental disabilities. For example, for many of its films and television programmes, PBS displays standard captions representing what is being said in the program audio, word-for-word, if the viewer selects "CC1", by using the television remote control or on-screen menu, however, they also provide edited captions to present simplified sentences at a slower rate, if the viewer selects "CC2". Programmes with a very diverse audience also often have captions in another language. This is common with popular Spanish soap operas. Since CC1 and CC2 share bandwidth, the FCC recommends translation subtitles be placed in CC3. CC4, which shares bandwidth with CC3, is also available, but very seldomly used.
For example, Telemundo is owned by ABC, so many of its popular dramas have CC1 in Spanish and CC3 in English.

I noticed on one of the Spanish stations here have English CCs on some shows. Many pubs also use CC due to the high noise level or if they're playing loud music. One pub I was in one time the bartender decided to flip channels and hit a pr0n channel. Intesting reading there! :D

Anyway, I edit Wikipedia. Here was something I added, the other day.For example, Telemundo is owned by ABC, so many of its popular dramas have CC1 in Spanish and CC3 in English.

Hi,
We have been using a CC box for 20 years.
We got the movie "elf" and can not figure out how to access the CC. Anyone else have the same problem and figure it out?
Stas

For example, Telemundo is owned by ABC, so many of its popular dramas have CC1 in Spanish and CC3 in English.
Very cool, I didn't know that! I don't speak Spanish, but I like to watch Spanish captions on Telemundo to see what I can learn. I will have to try CC3 next time I'm watching that. I edit Wikipedia too, same name here as there. :)

DVDs without CC

We have been using a CC box for 20 years.
We got the movie "elf" and can not figure out how to access the CC.
Stas, dre you watching the movie on DVD? Many DVDs do not have Closed Captions. Instead, use the DVD menu to display captions in the form of subtitles. Many DVD with English subtitles for English spoken dialogue also have the audio information, such as noise in the film.

LOL when i have subtitles or CC on i pay more attention to the subtitles or CC than what else is happening. Prolly because i am a slow reader. Even with the sound up at it's normal level i read the captions and don't really listen. Don't know why that is. Guess i'm a dork! LOL =)

More cutie than dork

when i have subtitles or CC on i pay more attention to the subtitles or CC than what else is happening. Prolly because i am a slow reader.
Southern, you're not a dork, more of a cutie. :)

Anyway, do you ever watch PBS? Try flipping between CC1 and CC2 for some of their programming: huge differance.

Thanks Taric
Yeah i watch PBS on occasion question what is the difference between CC1 and CC2?

And I can think of many places where there is a Jumbotron--at concerts, live performances, etc.--where real time captioning would be VERY helpful. I think EVERYTHING would be better captioned when at all possible--even those of us with good hearing either miss something or just take in the information better when we can see it visually. I see NO negatives whatsoever and ONLY positives--lets caption EVERYTHING!! :)

Thanks Taric
Yeah i watch PBS on occasion question what is the difference between CC1 and CC2?
You're welcome, Southern.

That's a good question. CC1 is the standard closed caption. It is the first stream. There are four streams CC1, CC2, CC3 and CC4. CC1 shares badwidth with CC2, and CC3 shares bandwidth with CC4. Since they share bandwidth, the FCC reccomends foreign language subtitles be placed in CC3, however, this is not always the case. For example, I was watching The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, last night, and I watched it with Spanish captions in CC2. To select CC2, use the television remote control or on-screen menu, to select CC2. If you need help, consult the manual that came with your TV or contact the manufacturer.

If you use a cable box or satalite dish, you may have to use its menu to display captions. This is especially the case with HD sets.

Back