THAT makes a sound!??!?

I think the candle itself makes a sound as it burns... But I could be wrong?

I was thinking the sound of a person blowing, I can't remember if a burning candle makes a sound or not.

Yes the candle burning makes a sound but, again, not usually something a human ear alone can hear. Technically everything makes a sound, as long as air is displaced a sound is made. However, many of these sounds are not sounds our ears alone can hear. For example, believe it or not, a plant growing makes a sound but the movement/growth is so slow and small that the human ear alone cannot hear it. If you put a very high tech microphone next to the plant for a couple of weeks and then sped up the recording, you could hear the growth. So, there a lots of sounds us hearies can't hear either! :)

Not that you can hear. Sometimes trick candles will make a "ffttt" sort of sound, but ordinarily, they don't.

Sometimes I put candles out by licking my fingers and then quickly pinching the wick of the candle. That makes a quick little sizzle sort of sound.

I'm going to have to get a candle and turn my CI up all the way (in a very quiet room)... everyone stand back... this might not be safe...

:giggle: That candlelight reminds me of "The Mirror Angel of Music."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1cm5wV-3j4&feature=related]The Mirror (Angel of Music) - YouTube[/ame]

I think it depends on the size of the flame. Small flames won't make much sound, but if you have a large flame going sometimes you can hear it. More often, though, you can hear the flickering.

Fireplace a lot of louder is the same thing as bbq grill cooking have that sounds, too.

on the heavy breathing thing- don't sweat it. i have a pal (a hearie) who, if he doesn't talk for a moment, will start doing this weird rythmic nasal beatboxing. in-out-in-in-out-in-out, that kind of thing. he doesn't realise it until i point it out, but i certainly don't think any less of him for it. (kinda scary late at night on camping trips, but at least he wasn't farting in the tent!)

interestingly, in Japan the water level in the toilet is usually a lot higher- less time to drop means no splash!

:laugh2:

Did you know that rats, mice and bats make different sounds that a human ear can't pick up? It's because the hertz rating are very high....around 50,000 Hz while a good hearing human can hear up to 18k to 21k Hz. Dogs, cats and other animals can hear them. That's probably why your cat or a dog look around when they hear something while we can't hear these sounds.

Well until now, I didn't know plants made a sound while growing.

Did you know that rats, mice and bats make different sounds that a human ear can't pick up? It's because the hertz rating are very high....around 50,000 Hz while a good hearing human can hear up to 18k to 21k Hz. Dogs, cats and other animals can hear them. That's probably why your cat or a dog look around when they hear something while we can't hear these sounds.

I wonder if at a range like that if dogs and cats think we make low bass note sounds when we speak?

Can someone explain why scratching a blackboard drives hearing people nuts?

It makes a very unpleasant sound kind of high pitched, its almost a stereotypical unpleasent sound in cartoons that you see done alot where someone annoyed and wants the rooms attention and the characters always cover their ears immediately. I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but its the best i could do

Back