Thanksgiving Horror Stories!

My freshman year in College I broke my ankle. I was told I couldn't go on the Thanksgiving hunt because I had a cast. So I hacksawed the cast off and told them it was healed. I heal fast. First day of the hunt I was approached by 3 charging boars with no time to shoot. I jumped down about 8 feet into a dry creek bed. Ouch.

For a while there was a fad to cook turkey in some kind of cellophane bag. My father in law brought one when he came to visit and we tried it. It was like mush stuck to the bag.

Really inedible. That's not funny, but it was gross.

I've got a deaf buddy who never was told to use a turkey fryer OUTSIDE!
Used it in his kitchen and nearly burn the whole house down because of his inexperience. Still nothing beats a Cajun fried turkey.

with a touch of linoleum on the palette.

My first turkey cooking was a disaster!

It cooked perfectly - it was arranged on an antique cobalt blue Fiesta ware platter and looked like a photo! Wow!

Then, oh no!! Squeeeeeek! A mouse!! It ran across the floor of the old farmhouse kitchen and I jumped so much that I tossed the turkey up into the air....... comedy it was not. (Well, it is now)

The whole group was watching football in the living room. My friend ran into the kitchen just in time to see the mouse exit and the turkey hit the floor! She grabbed the hot turkey, plopped it back on the dish and said - Don't worry - we won't tell! And she put the whole thing on the table!! Yikes! It was FAST! We never did tell the others what happened! (ugh!) I was only about 20 years old and did not have a back up plan soo... that turkey sure was good! My friend and I giggled about that for years.

I butterfly my turkey by cutting out the spine and cracking the breastbone. Looks pretty cool. Then I smoke it on the grill.

Few yrs ago, we didnt have a Thanksgiving b/c we were out of fuel and no money. My mother was upset. My aunt brought turkey over,tho.

Last yr, after I ate 3 plates of turkey dinner, I threw up all of it back out in toilet. I know, gross. I drank too much water, maybe. Im prepared this time. :giggle: Stop eatin' before belly really hurt.

0.o these all sound terrible..... I have yet to have a big disaster (not counting huge fights before dinner), but I'm not looking forward to it. I suppose, though, that a mistake is inevitable.

I hope to be able to laugh about it and move on.

I've got a deaf buddy who never was told to use a turkey fryer OUTSIDE!
Used it in his kitchen and nearly burn the whole house down because of his inexperience. Still nothing beats a Cajun fried turkey.

:shock:

Horrible story here..I was a little kid and my aunt was cooking the turkey. She withheld the fact that she had a stomach virus and was really sick because she didnt want to spoil our Thanksgiving. Let's say that she spoiled the turkey if you get my drift. ugh!

First year, the turkey caught on fire. Fire department had to come. Second year, the turkey caught on fire. The fire chief came with the others and made sure I knew I was permanently banned from ever baking a turkey in that town. *gulp*

This year, I'm going to attempt it again. Don't worry...new city.

Good luck! You'll need it.

I think I went over my "like" quota on this thread... My Thanksgiving horror story is yet to be made. This year my girlfriend's cousin's wife is Japanese and this is her first time baking a turkey. You guys got me really looking forward to whatever might happen on Thursday! :)

I think I went over my "like" quota on this thread... My Thanksgiving horror story is yet to be made. This year my girlfriend's cousin's wife is Japanese and this is her first time baking a turkey. You guys got me really looking forward to whatever might happen on Thursday! :)

Expect raw turkey rolled up in sushi rolls! :lol:

Hehe - reminds me of a Christmas Story. Whole family went to Chinese cafe! lol

Hehe - reminds me of a Christmas Story. Whole family went to Chinese cafe! lol

That sounds like my Jewish family tradition. I spent a few Christmas with my Jewish Mom (& Dad) and their daughter (my college friend). Their tradition is to either have pizza or Chinese because that is the only thing open on Christmas day. And... the funny part is the Dad always gets peperoni on his pizza... but only on that day because the rules don't apply that day. Sigh... Are they the BEST Jewish family or what!!! :hug: I miss spending Christmas with them.

Traditions can make fond memories! BTW, I like the picture of you and your human!
:wave:

Traditions can make fond memories! BTW, I like the picture of you and your human!
:wave:

LOL! He feeds me, so I allow him to live with me. And he's not so bad with a back scratch either! :D

Pssst, Mbrek, he's kinda funny huh? I think we should keep him around.

One year we had fried turkey. We did not have it thawed all the way. Fried it according to the time stated to cook it. Came out nice and pretty. Went to carve it. It was still majorly raw in the middle. UGH!!!!

Back