Thanksgiving dinner - what to serve?

Turkey, Ham, Collard Greens, Mash Taters and gravy, Corn on cob, Dressing, Pies, OH MY! The list goes on.

I don't know what I am having for Thanksgiving.. but what I want is:
Turkey - I like the white meat best
Mashed potatoes with gravy
Jellied cranberry
Pumpkin pie.
squash would be nice, but my mom is the only one I have ever known to make it right.
a nice fruity semi sweet white wine.

I'm not a complicated man, Only need a few things to make me happy. :D

squash and pumpkin pie are two of my favorite things:)

when my mom was working full-time, we did go to eat out for Thanksgiving.
I honestly don't know how to do anything with turkey and in general rarely cook more than burgers, baked chicken kinda thing <for husband>. We also have no place to sit for more than two people - our house over the years has become a dog-centered house and the dining room couch, table, chairs, went downstairs to the basement long ago to make room for dog crates, dog gates, dog freezers and other dog stuff, and space for the dogs to play and for me to train them.

Our kitchen has one of those "sit-in" bars which seats two people, opposite the sink and "working" area of the kitchen. Hubby usually sits there and I stand up and eat, on the interior section of the kitchen bar or "island", next to the stove, fridge etc. Very small kitchen - a mistake we made when buying the house.

Plans are now set.
Wednesday:
I will be making my maternal grandmother's cranberry fruit jello and some pumpkin bars.

Thursday:
I will put the turkey on. It will be rubbed with butter (non-dairy) and then have sage and thyme on it. In the cavity will be 1 orange cut in half and 1 apple cut in half. Baked according to directions.

I will make mashed potatoes (non-dairy) and cook the green beans. I will also make cooked apples for daughter. I also have to do the giblet gravy.

Cornbread stuffing from the box, but I will add some sauteed celery and onion and use my non-dairy butter.

MIL will be purchasing a pumpkin pie for those that can have it and like it.

I'm more looking forward to the abundance of leftovers than thanksgiving itself..... But I'm strange like that.

I think that the dressing tastes better after it's had some time for the flavors to mix together. Maybe make it in advance? That is, if you don't stuff it in the turkey.

My dad loves desserts <luckily he is in very good shape in terms of weight/mobility. he works 3rd shift security> and I enjoy seeing him take so much pleasure in the food....today I spoke to him when I wanted to find out if my mom needed any help and he was lamenting he hadn't been able to pick up the pumpkin pie yet due to his schedule. I explained that I already got the pie and he perked up and then he asked me if there was whipped cream on it:lol: and I told him there were a few dollops on top of the pie. He mused - if I'm already out somewhere, could I pick up a can of whipped cream for the pie?
I thought, since he often takes us to dinner and I really bought the pie for him <husband doesn't like pumpkin and I don't do dairy>, why not stop sometime before our meal tomorrow and get him some more whipped cream....:)

I think that the dressing tastes better after it's had some time for the flavors to mix together. Maybe make it in advance? That is, if you don't stuff it in the turkey.

I mix the dressing together the night before and put it in the pan. I just do not bake it til the next day.

I make my dressing homemade, from cornbread and the fixings.

my mom puts some in the bird and bakes the rest in the pan alongside.
The stuffing is my husband's favorite thing, I think!

I haven't had cornbread in a long time, your post made me think about it, BB...maybe this weekend I'll get some!

dogmom, you're a sweet daughter! I agree with your dad. :D

Thought I would share the recipe for my cranberry fruit jello for anyone that would like it.

Cranberry Salad
Serves 8-10

2 small or 1 large red jello
3 cups water
1 small can crushed pineapple
2 oranges (1 unpeeled, 1 peeled, cut into eighths)
1 pound cranberries
2 apples, cored, cut into eighths
3 cups sugar

Grind the oranges, cranberries and apples together in food grinder.
Add the fruit and sugar to the jello after it cools slightly. Watch liquids. If the oranges are real juicy, use less water. Chill and serve.

**Tip: grind the oranges last as the juice will clean the apple and cranberries out of the grinder.

So! I have everything ready for tomorrow. Potato dish (with onions and cheese) is in refrig ready to be baked, green bean casserole (with mushrooms, almonds) is in refrig ready to be baked, jello is made, cornbread is made (can you believe this -- I did a double recipe and I ran out of cookware, so I baked it in the BUNDT pan and it came out PERFECT! :shock: ). Most of anything left for tomorrow is turkey and stuffing, and I've already cut up the celery. No grapes as I'm allergic to them. What a great and fun evening. We have honey's family at 1 pm, and then ours at 5 pm, so tomorrow doesn't leave me with much time. Hence all the preparation tonight. YAYA! Happy dance!

Since we aren't doing too much I didn't plan ahead too much. At least I have the pumpkin bars and jello ready. Now, like my list says, I have turkey, potatoes, stuffing and green beans to do tomorrow. One major bright note? MIL has said that she will stay out of kitchen except for her drinks and I get to do all cooking. Not sure if that's totally good news what with my legs, but I am thankful for it.

Since we aren't doing too much I didn't plan ahead too much. At least I have the pumpkin bars and jello ready. Now, like my list says, I have turkey, potatoes, stuffing and green beans to do tomorrow. One major bright note? MIL has said that she will stay out of kitchen except for her drinks and I get to do all cooking. Not sure if that's totally good news what with my legs, but I am thankful for it.

What are pumpkin bars? Sounds yummy!

Back